Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trapping Mink

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Put the trap in the sitting room and turn on Fair City at full volume! They'll be dead in seconds:):) could be TOO cruel though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Get a pair of gloves and bring the cage/mink to the field. Release the mink out of the cage in the middle of the field and plant it with the shotgun.Simple

Or just get a pair of thick gloves, put your hand in, grab it and snap it's neck! Simple

It's only a mink FFS you would think your dealing with a lion:D shouldn't be trapping if you can't dispose of it humanly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pugw wrote: »
    Ya JH ive heard of it being done but not sure if its legal!

No its not legal - such stuff can only now be legally used in covered baits for rodents

PS: I dispatch mink with an air rifle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

I have a trap set for two weeks and I have had no joy, I have used Sardines ,Salmon heads - I know there is alot of mink in the area but I just cant catch any:o

I was talking to a fella that does alot of trapping and he reckons the 1st one is allways the hardest because of the scent, Anyone any ideas of what to try or know where I would get this Mink Pheromone(I think thats the name)??

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

ROSSKI wrote: »
    , Anyone any ideas of what to try or know where I would get this Mink Pheromone(I think thats the name)??
    http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Baits,+Lures+Urines+and+Accessories/Lures/Lures+(Listed+by+Target+Animal)/Mink+Lures/

Nice people to deal with but shipping can be a bit pricey! Maybe try smoked fish like kippers they keep better in summer than raw fish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

release mink 'with care' to an angry terrier :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

i am trapping mink myself at the moment and having little success i am watching see where they crossing roads and things and placing trap as near as i can to a stream or river. i always wear disposable gloves when i am moving it around and always bait the trap with fish bait of some sort. you can dipose of them with a .22 and subsonic rds.I wouldnt advise sticking your hand in to the trap to grab them because if they bit ya they won't let go till they hear a bone breaking so i am told. you can catch them by the tail and and they won't come curl up,like a cat to bite ya as they have no back bone. i have caught cats in my trap would that deter a mink from entering it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

of course they have a backbone they are a vertebrate as far as letting it starve to death you don't deserve to set foot in the countryside if you intend to let anything die like that :mad:

landkeeper wrote: »
    of course they have a backbone they are a vertebrate as far as letting it starve to death you don't deserve to set foot in the countryside if you intend to let anything die like that :mad:
    if he came into your hen house i'm sure he would be kind enough to let them all there and not kill them all for the craic and if you read some other fellows ideas of firing into a trap with a shotgun well thats highly dangerous in my eyes lad.

sorry lad i have had enough experience of both mink and foxes in pens of birds both pheasants and fowl to know the pain of picking up bags of corpses
    HOWEVER i would still not starve any animal to death in a trap and as far as i'm concerned anyone who would is a w###ker and deserves what ever they get either from the powers that be or in the greater scheme of things even the suggestion of it goes against any principle i have regarding animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

ace86 wrote: »
    i am trapping mink myself at the moment and having little success i am watching see where they crossing roads and things and placing trap as near as i can to a stream or river. i always wear disposable gloves when i am moving it around and always bait the trap with fish bait of some sort. you can dipose of them with a .22 and subsonic rds or else let them starve and the result is the same.I wouldnt advise sticking your hand in to the trap to grab them because if they bit ya they won't let go till they hear a bone breaking so i am told. you can catch them by the tail and and they won't come curl up,like a cat to bite ya as they have no back bone. i have caught cats in my trap would that deter a mink from entering it?

Seriously man? Let the animal starve to death:eek: abit OTT. Said it before if you cant dispatch an animal then you should leave them alone and let someone who knows how.

They will let go,thats just an old wives tale about the bone breaking:D Same as when a badger/Fox allegedly lock jaws on to your dog your supposed to put a stick to its ear and break it. The animal thinks it broke the dogs neck and lets go LMFAO some stupid idiots i hear actual try it ROFLMAO

landkeeper wrote: »
    sorry lad i have had enough experience of both mink and foxes in pens of birds both pheasants and fowl to know the pain of picking up bags of corpses
    HOWEVER i would still not starve any animal to death in a trap and as far as i'm concerned anyone who would is a w###ker and deserves what ever they get either from the powers that be or in the greater scheme of things even the suggestion of it goes against any principle i have regarding animals

well thats fair enough if a fellow has no .22 and use his shotgun and shoots him in the cage and possiably could injury himself or others is not a
    w###ker then what do you propose in how to do it?. A fox will ever only kill what it needs to survive most of the time and a mink does it for fun.

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Seriously man? Let the animal starve to death:eek: abit OTT. Said it before if you cant dispatch an animal then you should leave them alone and let someone who knows how.

They will let go,thats just an old wives tale about the bone breaking:D Same as when a badger/Fox allegedly lock jaws on to your dog your supposed to put a stick to its ear and break it. The animal thinks it broke the dogs neck and lets go LMFAO some stupid idiots i hear actual try it ROFLMAO

i never said i didn't know how to dispatch aniamal i offered a suggestion thats all some ideas proposed by fellows in shooting at the cage is crazy in my eyes with the shotgun could injury themselves or destroy there cage.

if you go back and read the posts i suggested one way of dispatching mr mink that does actually work however there are lots of ways of killing it quickly and humanely but to leave it to starve is not on no way no how
    as suggested by another poster if you have no effective way of dispatching it don't try to catch it
    as far as mink kllling for fun and a fox only killing what it needs just shows how little you know about the animals you are talking about
    a fox is a reflex predator ie if he is presented with an opportunity he takes it his reflexes take over that is why you get mass kills of poultry he keeps snapping till the flapping stops he is acting on pure instinct it is what a million years of evolution have done.
    mink are similar and are hoarders they will kill a lot and come back over the next while to eat what they have killed, in nature they wouldn't be presented with 100 hens in a pen they might find a group of birds and killwhat they could it's in their nature but it's not for fun
    the only annimal that truly kills for fun is homo sapiens

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

well thats fair enough if a fellow has no .22 and use his shotgun and shoots him in the cage and possiably could injury himself or others is not a
    w###ker then what do you propose in how to do it?. A fox will ever only kill what it needs to survive most of the time and a mink does it for fun.

Bull****, they love killing birds if they're there to be killed, much in the way cats and dogs kill things they don't eat.

166402.JPG

foundreduced1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

They (animals ...foxes...mink...etc) kill all so they can go back and retrieve their prey later because they have been presented with a once off oppertunity of many meals. Most animals including humans would do the same.

An animal would probably never be presented with such an oppertunity in the wild of finding multiple dinners all confined in one space because a human has kept them there whilst engaged in farming or other. Why any animal would have access to multiple dinners which arent properly protected is a different matter.

Ace86 is correct animals only kill for food or in protection. Only humans kill for other than food.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

have 3 mink trap set for a man who has one coming into his shed and eating the eggs. nothing yet and have it set a week,dropped down larsen trap with call bird in it wedensday night,came to me yesterday that somthing got into call bird and killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Get yourself an air-gun lad - I've never had problems disbatchin mink in traps this way

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Get yourself an air-gun lad - I've never had problems disbatchin mink in traps this way

Have a rifle for the job man so no need of spending more money for nothing but thanks for that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

fodda wrote: »
    Ace86 is correct animals only kill for food or in protection. Only humans kill for other than food.

They do kill for sport, and also to teach their young.

The above chickens were protected by electric fencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

kowloon wrote: »
    They do kill for sport, and also to teach their young.

The above chickens were protected by electric fencing.

Kowloon whatever killed them killed them so he could get them later. He may have come back straight away but it may have been too dangerous for him.

Some animals even bury there extra prey they have killed so they can dig it up later.

Advertisement