Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam - Ulsterbank Customers Being Targetted

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I got this email today, there's no way they would contact people by email for something like this. obviously a scam nut jesus the email address looks plausible and the login in page is pretty similar to the real one. Please don't get caught out by this!!!!

Dear Ulster Bank Customers,
    Our Technical Service department has recently updated our online services, due to this upgrade we sincerely call your attention to follow below link and reconfirm your online account details. Failure to confirm your Ulster Bank account details will permanently suspend you from accessing your account online.

<SNIP>

We use the latest security measures to ensure that your Ulster Bank account is safe and secure. The administration asks you to accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused and expresses gratitude for cooperation

Thanks for choosing Ulster Bank
    Ulster Bank Customer Service

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

People are complete idiots if they fall for these scams, might be an idea to remove the link you've included none the less

While the login page might look "ok" the URL is the largest give away in the world, the best thing might be to notify the website of http://www.vinnybyrnestore.com/ to get the site removed as its clear http://www.vinnybyrnestore.com/ don't have decent site security as the scam site is hosted on that domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I see you edited your initial reply to my post cabaal
    Feel free to remove the link if you feel that's the best thing to do.
    Plenty of people wouldn't notice the address etc on these things and could easily be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These things are as regular as clockwork now, and I don't know how many people actually fall for them. Most seem to be from banks that don't even operate here, or from the UK Inland Revenue telling you that you've a tax-refund waiting for you if you click the link and hand over your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Frankly the poor and unbusinesslike standard of language in that screams a scam......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

How come Moderators can call people idiots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

sendit wrote: »
    How come Moderators can call people idiots?

What Cabaal says is true and to be fair he wasn't calling the OP an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

What Cabaal says is true and to be fair he wasn't calling the OP an idiot.

I know its ture, im just saying they give out if other people said that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think at this stage most banks have made it very clear that they *ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER EVER* email customers unexpectedly like this.

Only ever log into your internet banking directly by typing the URL yourself. Never Google the address or click links in emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'll send them my details, they might look at my account, take pitty on me and lodge some money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In the context of how "idiots" was used, I don't think that any mod on the planet would give out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It might be true for anyone who has been online (daily) for years. I would expect there are still some people who are new the internet, email and online banking who could easily fall for it.

Even with access to someone's online account, can they do much with it? I know with Bank of Ireland you need to get an access code by mail or phone before you can transfer funds to a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

It shocks me that these emails even get discussed anymore. Its nothing to do with email, or "knowing about computers", its about common feckin sense and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm not a mod of this forum, as such I'm a user the same as you on this forum :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i really dont know what is wrong with some people, i am getting the same email from Ebay all the time.

one of the idiots i work with sent off all her details to an AIB one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

irishbird wrote: »
    i really dont know what is wrong with some people, i am getting the same email from Ebay all the time.

one of the idiots i work with sent off all her details to an AIB one :rolleyes:

There's obviously still people falling for it if they keep doing it. I guess one hit in a million emails makes it worth it! From what I remember, I think you can do a new funds transfer with AIB online once you are logged in. Is this the same with Ulster Bank? It would be interesting to see do they only target banks which have no further security checks on new fund transfers once you are logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SBC

Yes I get emails daily from many banks (most of which I have no business with)
    There are so many similar scams, you get to notice when its not from a real institute.

However I did notice this blog from a blogger mentioning Ulster Bank in a scam which is way above one person having their card details pinched [although clearly not for the person having their details pinched :( ]

Its something that affects a LOT of ordinary folk, but it seems in the the world of banking normal rules don't apply!

http://ulsterbankripoff.blogspot.co.uk/

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

SBC wrote: »
    Yes I get emails daily from many banks (most of which I have no business with)
    There are so many similar scams, you get to notice when its not from a real institute.

However I did notice this blog from a blogger mentioning Ulster Bank in a scam which is way above one person having their card details pinched [although clearly not for the person having their details pinched :( ]

Its something that affects a LOT of ordinary folk, but it seems in the the world of banking normal rules don't apply!

http://ulsterbankripoff.blogspot.co.uk/

Enjoy
    Where has anybody been scammed in any way whatsoever in that link? That just reads like the ramblings of someone who has absolutely no concept of how businesses actually work

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have all these type of emails redirected to my Junk folder. I empty that folder daily & tough titty if its a real email:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't drag up old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement