Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ding Help

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hows it going?
    I finally got around to posting on here... anyways got a nice ding that i wanna fix the nose from about an inch from the tip to about 4inchs down it is delamed and cracked from rail to rail on the bottom ( i think i banged it off a roof when it was in a board bag) there is a good sized hole on the one rail at this point also..
    im thinkin fill the hole on the rail and take off the delamed fiberglass (which is right down to the foam) and fill it with solarez and sand it smooth..
    anyway advice would be greatly apprecialted ive only fixed a few small dings at this point (and that was last week also...)
    (cant figure out how to upload photos on here either)
    cheers lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

sounds like a job for the pros to me.
    Unless you're very handy working with fibreglass, or don't particularly like your board that is. It can get messy pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You can go to http://wthax.org - upload a photo there and it'll spit out code that you can paste here to embed the image.

It does sound like a big job... you won't know how far in the delamination goes til you start stripping the stuff back, it could go several inches each side of the crack. Are you sure that water hasn't gotten into the core?

This sounds like it will be difficult to do properly. Here's an excellent resource so you can get an idea of what would be involved: http://www.boardlady.com/repairmenu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fd

Hey,
    Thanks for that link, here is a few pics
    Photo0218_thumb.jpgPhoto0221_thumb.jpg
    Photo0220_thumb.jpgPhoto0219_thumb.jpg
    Photo0222_thumb.jpgPhoto0223_thumb.jpg
    The delam is definaly right down to the foam core as its coming away on the bottom,the tip is intact on top and bottom and the core is definaly dry, i was in the water the day before it happend and it was 100 percent water tight then. That solarez stuff is pretty handy for small dings and cracks i found but this is quite big and rail to rail at the nose on the bottom.
    I just wonder if the solarez would be stong enough if there is no glass at all from rail to rail?
    I have a few other boards kickin about and this board has tonnes of battle scars so figure its a good way to learn how to fix it myself, but dont wanna kill the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ouch. I'd say you'd be looking at using glass and epoxy to fix that properly. Having attempted a nosejob where the damage was more minor than this and failing, its not something I'd take on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fd

It actually wasnt that hard to fix in the end! I cut back all the delamed fiberglass and sanded around the area and just added several small coats of solarez and now just need to sand it smooth. Ill try to put up pictures later of the whole proccess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement