Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Cycling Look

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

bcmf wrote: »
    Ah no. I think they were deadly. Teamed with the jersey the best team kit ever. Is it still available to buy anywhere?

bike24.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lemag wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend some sites where one can get the "Euro" look for less?

but your gear at the end of the season for next year

50% off fll vacansoleil kit here
    http://www.probikekit.com/eu/factfinder/search/result/q/vacansoleil+team

shorts only in 3xl though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

moggs1972 wrote: »
    bike24.com

At €70 for the jersey and €90 for the shorts (plus shipping) I think I will have to pass on them for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

but your gear at the end of the season for next year

50% off fll vacansoleil kit here
    http://www.probikekit.com/eu/factfinder/search/result/q/vacansoleil+team

shorts only in 3xl though
    Cheers although I was thinking more so of sites a little further east ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lemag wrote: »
    Cheers although I was thinking more so of sites a little further east ;)

yeh but at 30 euro for a jersey !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Some Nalini jerseys on sale at wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jerseys-tops/?s=nalini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

My Mavic shorts arrived today!!

I used to worry about the how I looked in bike kit, the trick is to cycle harder and try steeper hills that way you'll be too wrecked to give a sh1t.

In other words if you're worried about how you look you're not working hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

studiorat wrote: »
    In other words if you're worried about how you look you're not working hard enough.

That's what is wrong. Never worry about how you look, but just make sure that you look awesome.

Raam wrote: »
    That's what is wrong. Never worry about how you look, but just make sure that you look awesome.

Awesome? WTF is Awesome?

I'd rather be dead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To the OP, yup you get over it, but what's more worrying is you risk actually starting to like it. My wife finds the gear hilarious, as does my younger daughter who regularly parades around the kitchen in it. My 11 year old daughter however is mortified and would like to have me shot for crimes against fashion. Actually not shot, more hung drawn and quartered, after she borrowed some of my 'face cream' and being told that's not where it goes. Boards jersey in pink to come into the house soon, expecting sparks ;)

On the plus side, skin tight gear will really encourage you to lose weight, unless you really like the bloated super hero look. And if you don't adapt to the gear, there's always mountain biking...

• Advertisement

Caring about how you look is the one thing that makes you look awful. Once you think you look good, even if you look like a total muppet*, you're good to go.

* Sorry about that cookie_monster, no offense intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

smacl wrote: »
    My wife finds the gear hilarious, as does my younger daughter who regularly parades around the kitchen in it. My 11 year old daughter however is mortified and would like to have me shot for crimes against fashion. Actually not shot, more hung drawn and quartered, after she borrowed some of my 'face cream' and being told that's not where it goes. Boards jersey in pink to come into the house soon, expecting sparks ;)

See the problem right here is that you married someone that is clearly not euro compliant and this obvious character deficiency has been passed on to your offspring. If you're going to take your "euroness" seriously, then you need to find yourself a euro compliant partner. May i suggest the south of France or northern Italy as a good place to start looking.

Once you've found a euro compliant partner, the issue of children being embarrassed at your look will be redundant since they will have inheritted the appropriate level of euroness in their genome. You can happily begin creating your own "peleton" of euro-bambinis! Or if you're into the whole family planning thing, your own little "grupetto" of euro-bambinis.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The kid in my house seen my lycra for the first time a few months ago, after a puzzled look I was treated to the following words of wisdom "You cyclists are a bit odd", I tried explaining but decided it was not going to end well. A short time later the word MAMIL was introduced into the houses vocabulary, which the other half and her entire family cannot stop laughing at, even regaling me with stories about seeing "my friends" whenever they go out for a drive (apparently we are all friends).

First time I wore Lycra casually I found a couple in Ranelagh staring at my "area", I didn't mind but I think the guys wife minded when he wouldn't stop and nearly damaged his neck as he craned around as he walked by.

You get very used to it very quickly, the GAA shorts over the cycling shorts aren't a big deal but it will attract more attention as people will wonder why you are doing it, I wouldn't do it, perhaps try some touring shorts with inserts in them before heading down that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Learn to love your arse.

HA HA, great comment.

I wear cycling shorts with a pair of light shorts over them. The padding on the cycling shorts is worth it, especially if you've got one of the more painful racing saddles.

leftism wrote: »
    See the problem right here is that you married someone that is clearly not euro compliant and this obvious character deficiency has been passed on to your offspring. If you're going to take your "euroness" seriously, then you need to find yourself a euro compliant partner. May i suggest the south of France or northern Italy as a good place to start looking.

You're talking about the lady that nipped into LIDL to get me a bike stand yesterday, drives me and the bike out to early morning sportive starts, allows me, nay encourages me, to go off all day cycling at the weekend while she looks after the sprogs, and will have cold beer and a kiss waiting for me on my return. Long legged high maintenance euro floosies by damned, I'll stick with my home grown gaelic babe, slagging and all, best in the world by an Irish mile...

Anyway, between Sarkozy and the Greeks, I reckon this Euro thing is coming to a natural conclusion. Anyone count the amount of high vis jackets and mugs of tea consumed at the WW200 a couple of weeks back? Euro me arse, I'm investing all available funds in seed potatoes and turbary rights in the Sally gap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I guess those wily Italians didn't name a jacket after our major city for no reason.

I guess those wily Italians didn't name a jacket after our major city for no reason.

That's it, Castelli boycott. Espresso drinking b*stards with their fancy suits and their fancy weather.

Mind you, since we're on the subject of the cycling look. How many of the brothers here sport the one trouser leg rolled up thing?
    Pure daft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

You're talking about the lady that nipped into LIDL to get me a bike stand yesterday, drives me and the bike out to early morning sportive starts, allows me, nay encourages me, to go off all day cycling at the weekend while she looks after the sprogs, and will have cold beer and a kiss waiting for me on my return. Long legged high maintenance euro floosies by damned, I'll stick with my home grown gaelic babe, slagging and all, best in the world by an Irish mile...

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

That's it, Castelli boycott. Espresso drinking b*stards with their fancy suits and their fancy weather.

Mind you, since we're on the subject of the cycling look. How many of the brothers here sport the one trouser leg rolled up thing?
    Pure daft!

I don't do the one trouser leg rolled up thing, but if I do hop on the bike with jeans on, the right leg goes into the sock. Had the jeans catch in the chain once, and it was not fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

You're talking about the lady that nipped into LIDL to get me a bike stand yesterday, drives me and the bike out to early morning sportive starts, allows me, nay encourages me, to go off all day cycling at the weekend while she looks after the sprogs, and will have cold beer and a kiss waiting for me on my return.
    I refuse to believe that is a real wife.

I suppose she never looks at you credit card bill either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

She's on boards isn't she? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Both trouser legs tucked into the socks. For Fred-tastic symmetry.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Both trouser legs tucked into the socks. For Fred-tastic symmetry.

I roll them both up in case anyone thinks I am packing heat, although I always have the gun shop ready to pop out if necessary:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67574171&postcount=1303

POW POW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think my youngest hit the nail right on the head - the conversation went like this......

Me:- How'd you fancy a bike for Christmas

Him:- Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Me:- What type of bike to you want - a mountain bike or a road bike?

Him:- Mountain bike!!

Me:- Are you sure you don't want a road bike? You could come for some spins with me.........

Him: No

Me:- Why not?

Him:- Road bikes are gay!!!!

Couldn't really argue with that and given some of the photos on this thread, he may be right:)

Jawgap wrote: »

Him:- Road bikes are gay!!!!

So Gay it's straight, whereas MTBers are clearly in the closet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

CramCycle wrote: »
    So Gay it's straight, whereas MTBers are clearly in the closet :pac:

Difficult to know - I'm not really down with the kids these days.

I think if some is good it's "ledge" as in short for legend, and if something is not good it's "gay" - only in this case there was a clear double meaning which I'm not entirely sure was unintentional - or maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid!

McTigs wrote: »
    I suppose she never looks at you credit card bill either

Between brown paper bags from Dundrum shopping centre, and brown cardboard boxes from Wiggle, CRC & Bike24, neither of us are in any great hurry to look at the credit card bill. Usually just leave it to one side for a couple of days to cool down before going anywhere near it.
    ciotog wrote: »
    She's on boards isn't she? :D

Not yet, but building up the brownie points for the inevitable day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Hmmm, while I agree practical comfortable cycling attire is best I find full team gear with matching helmet a bit lame. There's something fundamentally embarrassing about any grown man wanting to emulate his sporting hero's right down to wearing the same socks as him. It's nothing to do with cycling, I'd feel the same about a grown man in full Liverpool gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

happytramp wrote: »
    Hmmm, while I agree practical comfortable cycling attire is best I find full team gear with matching helmet a bit lame. There's something fundamentally embarrassing about any grown man wanting to emulate his sporting hero's right down to wearing the same socks as him. It's nothing to do with cycling, I'd feel the same about a grown man in full Liverpool gear.

Correct, that's why you never wear gear from an active team.

Also Livestrong gear is UNCOOL and it will remain forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Immac and body paint if you're asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

happytramp wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference. Noone I know has an irrational emotional attachment to any cycling team. Maybe we should. I'm going to start referring to AG2R as we. We are going to beat yous in the TDF. "You're going home in the back of an ambulance", would work as a chant in this years race.

I'm going to say something controversial here; AG2R kit is the best in the peloton*. I've thought so for a while.

(*not sarcasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

There's a bit of a difference. Noone I know has an irrational emotional attachment to any cycling team. Maybe we should. I'm going to start referring to AG2R as we. We are going to beat yous in the TDF. "You're going home in the back of an ambulance", would work as a chant in this years race.

I'm going to say something controversial here; AG2R kit is the best in the peloton*. I've thought so for a while.

(*not sarcasm)

:eek: ... although Roche manages to pull it off somehow, must be the tricolour bands.

Quickstep and those Eddy Merckx bikes ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I stand corrected!! Swedish HTC kit wins

EmiliaFahlin2-1.jpg?t=1303525375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Bought proper gloves today, the difference is amazing, I love them!

My nephew said I look like the kid from RAD :D

RAD%20poster.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Tallon wrote: »

RAD%20poster.jpg

Proper as in cycling gloves or GAA gloves. Given your previous postings on this thread, I just need to be sure as to your definition of proper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I wear Lycra tights with my cycling top. I feel and look great in my skin tight cycling gear. Would not wear anything else when riding my bike. I just love the feel and the look of skin tight Lycra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

For the metalheads out there. Its cheaper than the replica cycling stuff.
    http://www.over-zone.com/spandexuk.html

Maybe its not metal or cycling I'm into, but the spanzies common to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I had a pair of black and white striped jobs many moons ago. I would walk into Bruxelles thinking I was Steve Harris. I'm glad I have found a pastime which doesn't involve me looking quite so ridiculous.

Oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I had a pair of black and white striped jobs many moons ago. I would walk into Bruxelles thinking I was Steve Harris. I'm glad I have found a pastime which doesn't involve me looking quite so ridiculous.

Oh wait...

You used to shop in No Romance on Aungier St too?
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Oh wait...

sounds wierdly familiar....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

RT66 wrote: »
    You used to shop in No Romance on Aungier St too?
    :cool:

SSSHHH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ROK ON wrote: »
    Tallon wrote: »

RAD%20poster.jpg

Proper as in cycling gloves or GAA gloves. Given your previous postings on this thread, I just need to be sure as to your definition of proper.
    Proper as in proper!

Cycling gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »

tob09-sm-pozatto-430x948.jpg

Slightly reminds me of this:

422px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/warts-and-all.html

It seems that the resemblance is partly down to a fashion that prevailed in the seventeenth century of portraying royalty as having shapely calves.
    Lely's painting style was, as was usual at the time, intended to flatter the sitter. Royalty in particular expected portraits to show them in the best possible light, if not to be outright fanciful. Lely's painting of Charles II shows what was expected of a painting of a head of state in the 17th century. It emphasizes the shapely royal calves - a prized fashion feature at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

Lumen wrote: »
    Stare at this picture until it makes you want to have sex with something.

Still staring!

Edit: Oh no, there it is

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

Would someone more familiar with the Rules than I am care to comment on Taoiseach Enda's kit at yesterday's launch of the Wesport/Achill track? It sounds like a nice spin.

"The final section of The Great Western Greenway, linking Westport to Achill in Co Mayo, has been opened by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
    The 42km cycling and walking facility forms part of the national cycle network and is the longest such route in the country.
    The Newport to Mullranny section of the greenway opened last summer and has attracted over 50,000 visitors to date."

0004d611-640.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Would someone more familiar with the Rules than I am care to comment on Taoiseach Enda's kit at yesterday's launch of the Wesport/Achill track?

Pro team jersey, baggy shorts, livestrong bracelet, helmet straps over sunglasses.

Pretty much a fail in my untrained eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

I figured he'd be in trouble alright... lucky we can't see his socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The socks aren't great either :(
    VIDEO:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0729/greenway.html#video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Pro team jersey, baggy shorts, livestrong One Life bracelet, helmet straps over sunglasses.

Pretty much a fail in my untrained eyes.

Give him some credit;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You'd think, being leader of the country that he would set a good example. Would he be allowed wear national champs stripes?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement