Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gateway apartments..?

• 07-07-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I know there's very little chance of people being on this during the summer but thought I'd post just in case :D.
    I think I'll probably be coming to sligo it in September and since I'd be coming down on my own I'd like to get student accomodation.just wondering if anyone had any opinions of Gateway.?:)Thinking of booking here!!
    Thanks a million..!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi,
    I lived there in my first year in sligo. The appartments are ok. They are pretty small and noisy, espically noisy if your appaprtment is facing the court yard as mine was. The walls are very thin. However, it does have broadband from the college, and is right next door to the college. In first year i was leaving the appartment at 8:55 and was still early for my 9am lectures. Also very close to regional stores, but that shop is a rip off! :eek:

Will you know any of the people you will be living with?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rogorose

it was a good place to live but there is major problems now as the company has gone into liquidation and no one knows what will happen, theres a meeting about it tomorrow! people who have paid deposits for this sept may not get them back! same goes for us students who was living there all year! :( other student apartments beside the college are yeats, clarion and ard nua! i think they all have websites so its worth checking them out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Ah cool thanks so much for the replys:) I'll give that a miss so hope you get that sorted out with the deposit..!Frankcarty i'll probably be on my own cause I started a course already so i'd like to get nice accomodation where i'd meet people!!:D
    Checked out those websites Ard Nua looks gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I was there for the past two years, the only real benefit of the apartments was their proximity to the college, as another poster said leaving at 8.55 and having time to spare before 9. Apartments are small, noisy at times and cold as hell in the winter.

It's a disgrace that the website it still up and running accepting deposits for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

happyfish wrote: »
    Checked out those websites Ard Nua looks gorgeous!

Ard Nua is very nice, only downside is that the broadband isnt from the college so its not as good. That bothered be a lot as I was a software development student! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 D.a.v.i.d

Stayed there last year and will be staying there again in September!

Comfort: My apartment was warm during the hot spells but needed heating when the temp dropped bellow 10 degrees. Stayed in Yeats Village the previous year and nearly got TB! It was that damp...

Price: Cheapest of the purpose built accomadation (as of 2010), may change after liquidation process...

Pros: Free parking, Fast Internet, Quite spacious (2 bed apartment), good security, helpful staff, proximity to college <<<Spoiled Me!

Cons: Noisy at times, Speed ramps are a bitch...(depends on car)

Note on liquidation: I was at the meeting on friday, was guaranteed my place for september (carried over my deposit) all though it will be run under a new name/management most likely...

Hopefully will be a good experience next year! Happy hunting OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

I know there's very little chance of people being on this during the summer but thought I'd post just in case :D.
    I think I'll probably be coming to sligo it in September and since I'd be coming down on my own I'd like to get student accomodation.just wondering if anyone had any opinions of Gateway.?:)Thinking of booking here!!
    Thanks a million..!

You may want to check out Gateway Apartments before you pay any deposit, not 100% sure but I think they have gone into liquidation, best bet is to have a look at the local station website, Oceam FM, for info, just be very careful before you pay any deposit... best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Thanks a million..!

Hey dude!
    I know a few people in the same situation as you and I can say that I knew a lad that had an apartment in Gateway last year. It's close enough to the town and it's very nice in general. However, with the whole liquidation situation is a serious problem so I would try to avoid it. If you want good accommodation Ard nua is definitely a place to check out. Along with yeats village!

Hope you get what you want:)
    What course are you doing btw? Might see you there :)
    I'm heading in to first year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Thanks a million for all the advice everyone:D very excited about hopefully moving down now...Going to book ard nua!!Tom Joe Wallace I'm hoping to do health science and physiology, what about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 meathmissy

In my years in Sligo I always found Gateway or Ard nua to be best, I would definately not recommend Yeats as I lived there for two years and had nothing but problems with them.

The best thing about Ard nua is that you get what you pay for, its a lot nicer accommodation than the others, believe me after five years in Sligo you get to know all the places.

Enjoy your time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Thanks a million for all the advice everyone:D very excited about hopefully moving down now...Going to book ard nua!!Tom Joe Wallace I'm hoping to do health science and physiology, what about yourself?

Web Development and Creative Media for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

For any new first years thinking of going to Gateway, I got this in my college email this morning because I'm still waiting for my deposit from last year;
    Hi everyone,

Re: Gateway Rentals Liquidation

I understand that the situation is extremely annoying, and a major inconvenience for you all. Thanks very much for getting back to me with your current status, and for your patience.

Progress has regrettably been slow and frustrating for us here in the Students’ Union. Over the last number of weeks have been frequently communicating with Tom Martyn our solicitor, with Vincent Carty of “Lakewood Lettings Ltd” , and with Sean Mulhern the Liquidator to try and find a resolution.

There are two distinct issues;

1. The return of deposits owed for 2010/2011
    As explained in the previous email, Sean Mulhern has been appointed as Liquidator to settle the affairs of the company so the matter in his hands. I am on the liaison committee with Sean and we are due to meet in the next few weeks. As soon as we do I’ll inform you as to the latest information.

2. New arrangements for deposits
    In the immediate term we requested the following;
    · Agree that deposits lost to Gateway Rentals Limited would be allowed in full against new arrangements for September 2011 and that students returning to Gateway would not have to pay again
    · *Ensure that any new deposits are securely held in an account which could not be used or taken by creditors

We did get agreement from Vincent Carty regarding both points on (number 2) but we were not satisfied with the creditability of the second point regarding the security of new deposits. We therefore requested a statement from the bank that they will not seek to remove money from the student deposit account to cover losses. However as of yet, Vincent has not provided us with the bank statement. We will not advertise Gateway Apartments on our website, nor will be advise students to consider Gateway for accommodation until we receive all of our requested assurances.

We are working on getting all issues resolved as quickly and efficiently as we possible!!

Again, if you need anything further, please feel free to contact me or our welfare officer Kevin O’Grady.

I’ll be in touch shortly

James Dillon
    President
    IT Sligo Students' Union
    Ash Lane
    Sligo

Tel: 0719141887
    Check our website - www.itssu.ie
    Follow us on Facebook - IT Sligo Students Union
    Constituent member of USI

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

is gateway okay now?