Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Extra VRT payment?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Heya lads,

Just bought a 04 Golf from a private sale yesterday. The car is on english plates and the previous owner brought the car 11months ago and didn't pay the VRT.

I bought it for cheap off him and got the VRT valued at EUR 1105 to get it registered on Irish plates.

Am I right in thinking that I might have to pay a fine or something on top of that payment because the car wasn't registered straight away entering the country 11months ago?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just pay the VRT now due, they can't fine your for someone else mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Just pay the VRT now due, they can't fine your for someone else mistake.

Well won't they need the extra payment coming from somewhere?

Also do I need the cert when the car entered the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I LOL'd at the two usernames.. I thought you were conversing with yourself there until I looked twice :pac:

Well won't they need the extra payment coming from somewhere?

Also do I need the cert when the car entered the country?

Just go in and say nothing. There is no such thing as back dating VRT. You will only get a fine if you are actually stopped by customs and fined by them.

There is no such thing as a cert for when it entered the country, sure it could have been brought down from the north and then there is no way to confirm when it entered the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they will look for proof of date of purchae and entry into the state. They can also charge a daily "fine" for late payment of VRT and the person re-registering it will be responsilble for this It is cars brought down from the north they look for inparticular imho.

get some paperwork is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I also bought a uk car that was already here. When I VRT'ed it I gave them the receipt from my purchase with the private sellers details and the date on it and that was enough for them. (along with all other documents needed)

corktina wrote: »
    they will look for proof of date of purchae and entry into the state. They can also charge a daily "fine" for late payment of VRT and the person re-registering it will be responsilble for this It is cars brought down from the north they look for inparticular imho.

get some paperwork is my advice.

I know maybe 7 or 8 people who have vrt'd cars they were driving around on uk plates from anything from 6 months to a year and none of them ever had to pay late payment fees or had any difficultly vrting the cars.

When I registered my own car it was different as I was getting the exemption, but I had been driving it here for 6 or 7 months before I went into get it done and even I wasnt asked for proof when it entered the country. My details from the uk such as payslips, insurance details and proof of permanently moving back to Ireland is all they wanted.

good for them, doesnt change the fact that the NCTS will be looking for the paperwork

good for them, doesnt change the fact that the NCTS will be looking for the paperwork

How do you prove when you brought a car down from the north?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

draft a letter yourself stating you bought the car on such a date and ask your local garda station to sign and stamp it. i had the chance of a 530d recently but it would be parked up for 3 months before i could VRT it and this is the responce i got from the NCT guys.

you need to provide a receipt of purchase and/or a letter stating that the car was aprked up and not driven on Irish roads if imported over 30 days ago.
    For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.
    For vehicles over 4 years old, an unexpired roadworthiness certificate confirming that an equivalent to the NCT test has been passed. The vehicle will be called for a roadworthiness test (NCT) shortly after registration.

• Advertisement

how indeed. Heres where your creativity comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Just go in and say nothing. There is no such thing as back dating VRT. You will only get a fine if you are actually stopped by customs and fined by them.

There is backdating - The VRT is the amount applicable at the time and date the car came onto Irish soil.

If you buy a car today and dont VRT it for 6 months, it will be shown with a new lower open - market -selling - price (OMSP) on which VRT is based (VRT is a % of the OMSP).

The OMSP reflects the original value of the vehicle, with an allowance for depreciation on a monthly basis since then. So if you have a 2010 vehicle, delaying VRT by 6 months could see a significant extra allowance for VRT.

Also they could require you to show the mileage done since it came into the state, as the OMSP is reduced by a reasonable amount for every 1000 miles over the average given (12,000 / year I think).

Now while all that is in theory, and it probably wouldnt happen, it is why the NCTS do look for proof of when it crossed the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Just scribble out a receipt and sign the name on the V5. It works ;)

YBTurbo wrote: »
    Just scribble out a receipt and sign the name on the V5. It works ;)

Well the above is where I was heading next, write out something on a bit of paper with a recent date. Make up some name of the person it was bought from if necessary they wont be able to check and away you go.
    lst wrote: »

There is backdating - The VRT is the amount applicable at the time and date the car came onto Irish soil.

If you buy a car today and dont VRT it for 6 months, it will be shown with a new lower open - market -selling - price (OMSP) on which VRT is based (VRT is a % of the OMSP).

The OMSP reflects the original value of the vehicle, with an allowance for depreciation on a monthly basis since then. So if you have a 2010 vehicle, delaying VRT by 6 months could see a significant extra allowance for VRT.

Also they could require you to show the mileage done since it came into the state, as the OMSP is reduced by a reasonable amount for every 1000 miles over the average given (12,000 / year I think).

Now while all that is in theory, and it probably wouldnt happen, it is why the NCTS do look for proof of when it crossed the border.

Well maybe things have tightened up but 2 or 3 years ago there were about 3 or 4 friends of mine all driving on uk plates for as long as they could as the longer they drove the less they would pay in vrt and when they went to vrt they paid it as if the car was brought in on that day not months before. There is no way they had any proof of import as most bought the cars here from people selling them on uk plates.

quite simply, things have been tightened up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paulo123

Firstly I know i know ive done wrong.

I took a risk and 'seems' I was caught & will deal with the consequences & move on.

I live & work in the south, pay all my taxes (bar motor tax) in the south.

But, I have a NI license which is a friends address & have had it years, switched my ROI license over. I've no other documentation from NI.

I bought a car in NI over a year ago (nothing flashy 2004 £4k) & have MOT'd & tax'd it up there.

Car is reg'd in my name in NI with NI address. but been driving
    down here mostly, but occasionally back and forth visiting.

Any checkpoints, I produce the NI license, show reg cert with NI address, say Im down visiting & waved on.

But, last week, I cycled to work (leaving car parked in drive) and arrived home to see a revenue business card in the letter box, with name / number and "Re VRT on *********)

My plan is to go to go to the Tallaght office first thing Monday morning and see what the story is.

But am just wondering what to expect if anyones ever been in same situation?

Will they accept the Registration Certificate, driving license, insurance and MOT as proof of my living in North or?

Thanks

Ring them, tell them you were a visitor , take the car up north and sell it.....or pay the VRT of course

Thanks Corktina.

Was going to try that, but am worried that, being Revenue, they'll have access to a raft of info, PAYE etc & don't want to get off on too bad a bad footing :(

I know I fk'd up, I took a risk and probably got caught but whats done is done & lesson learnt.

Am just wondering has anyone been in this situation and if so were they harsh / lenient / sound etc?

I was planning to sell the car anyway up North in the coming months.

the thing to worry about i guess is how long have they been watching you.Id phione the guy who left the card and dig for info.

Thanks Corktina, was thinking that myself.

So you think I should ring first as opposed to going into the offices first thing Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't go anywhere near a revenue office without being armed with all the facts.
    Ring them by all means but be very cagey.

Thank Our man in Havana

Going to ring first thing Monday and will update asap.

Advertisement