Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

• 07-07-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

/o/

\o\

Great news!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Great news for News of the World haters. Not so great news for NOTW employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

I am smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Have to it gave me a smile today. Scummy rag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pighead wrote: »
    Great news for News of the World haters. Not so great news for NOTW employees.

Kind of brought it upon themselves, well the scumbag reporters/editors did.

Also Murdoch will probably put most of his employees into his other businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

So what?. The Sun On Sunday,or whatever they rebrand it as is inevitable surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Link?

And from a reputable source,,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its true.

From The Times (England) just now: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1580/capture2nh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What sort of impact will that have on the Irish edition ? wonder will that close shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Now to get rid of the Sun, Daily Fail, Star, Mirror and Sunday World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

No more stories about homeless rabbits throwing people into the Liffey? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

check the breaking news ticker at the top.

Its on bbc world news now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sucks for the people working there, Im sure it will be replaced with a new rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Fantastic! It has always, always been the raggiest of rags with absolutely no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Link?

And from a reputable source,,,

http://tinyurl.com/3s6zeeu

take your pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Wow! Didn't see that coming!

If it of course Murdoch trying to ensure that the BSkyB deal still goes ahead.

There is a big hole in the market now for a Sunday red-top. I've no doubt Newscorp will start another one, maybe re-employ a bunch of the younger NOTW people who had nothing to do with this, thereby showing a break from the past and a new set of ethics.

And the older guys will be hung out to drym quite rightly, as they seem to have lost the run of themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0707/hacking.html

about time; 1 down, about 6 more to go by my count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Murdoch is more concerned by the bSkyb deal which has been stalled

If that goes ahead, maybe next year the paper will be relaunched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

P williams go back to sunday world?..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everyone who worked there would be well aware that they're working for a dodgy rag anyway.

Besides, as we all know they'll just be reassigned to whatever new ****e Murdoch decides to put out on a Sunday.

Times Update:
    1643 BST: Acknowledging News International’s mistakes, Mr Murdoch says that he hopes everyone acknowledges that it is doing its “utmost to fix them, atone for them, and make sure they never happen again”.

He adds: “Having consulted senior colleagues, I have decided that we must take further decisive action with respect to the paper.

“This Sunday will be the last issue of the News of the World.

“Colin Myler will edit the final edition of the paper.

“In addition, I have decided that all of the News of the World’s revenue this weekend will go to good causes.

“While we may never be able to make up for distress that has been caused, the right thing to do is for every penny of the circulation revenue we receive this weekend to go to organisations – many of whom are long-term friends and partners – that improve life in Britain and are devoted to treating others with dignity.

“We will run no commercial advertisements this weekend. Any advertising space in this last edition will be donated to causes and charities that wish to expose their good works to our millions of readers.

“These are strong measures. They are made humbly and out of respect. I am convinced they are the right thing to do.”

1640 BST: In his statement, James Murdoch, chairman of News International, says that the News of the World has been in existence for 168 years and is the most widely read English language newspaper in the world. He said that it has “a proud history of fighting crime, exposing wrong-doing and regularly setting the news agenda for the nation”.

He goes on: “The good things the News of the World does, however, have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong. Indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our Company.

“The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself.

“In 2006, the police focused their investigations on two men. Both went to jail. But the News of the World and News International failed to get to the bottom of repeated wrongdoing that occurred without conscience or legitimate purpose. Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued.

“As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter. We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences.

“This was not the only fault.

“The paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. This was wrong.

“The Company paid out-of-court settlements approved by me. I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret.”

1636 BST: BREAKING NEWS: James Murdoch has just announced in a message to staff that this weekend’s edition of the News of the World will be the final one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Sucks for the people working there, Im sure it will be replaced with a new rag.

I don't think they'll be on the dole, Murdoch owns hundreds of ventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The Guardian have been live blogging this all day.

Watching all the advertisers drop off like flies... the NoTW had no choice really.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He'll no doubt try hang on some of the upper heads more so.
    The standard lower workers, etc will be in a tougher place with this announcement.

What a mess they made of things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So the Star On Sunday is gone and now the NotW. All we've left to get rid of is the Sunday World and the Sindo and then Sundays will be rag free.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Where else will we see naked celebrities now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Does that mean Bertie is out of the cupboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The Sun mops up the News of the World readers, money still goes into Murdoch pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

IvySlayer wrote: »

Regardless, I imagine there will be losses. It might be easier for those in the UK to move to other papers, but what about those that worked in Dublin on the Irish edition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I really hope The S*n goes the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Quite surprising, just heard it on the 5pm news on the radio.
    They are going to sell alot of copies sunday...

• Advertisement

miketv wrote: »
    Does that mean Bertie is out of the cupboard?
    One less weekly pay cheque.
    He's still well, well covered. He don't have to worry about any bills for the rest of his life.
    He's not worried I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Digger has never done anything by halves.

No doubt he'll hope this draws a rapid line under events but I don't think it will. The public smells blood and parliament will do well to catch the mood of the times as they eventually did with their own expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Well the News of The World has finally "made their excuses and left"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It will be re-launched as The Sunday Andrex and it will be sh1t as usual. Lizard Murdoch won't want some competitor to fill the gap in the Sunday circulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

there is no doubt that the news of the world did the dirtiest, underhanded, cruelest, a paper could do, that little girl that was murdered her phone messages, deleted, i feel sorry for her family, as for these who did it, they were heartless.

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    They are going to sell alot of copies sunday...
    It was either going to be one extreme - or the other.
    And if they kept going, those that would have further advertised within it, would have been seen to be supporting the rag by default.
    ...And Murdoch doesn't want to pee off any present/future advertisers which also buy advertising space in other of his print media and on his TV networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Would someone Please think of poor Paul williams and Glenda gilson!

Hahahahahah :D:D Paul will be grovelling back to the Sunday world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Somewhere a million after hours recyclers of drivel cried out in pain and were suddenly silenced. That tabloid was our last hope.

No. There are many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Does Mrs Brooks still keep her job?

New newspaper maybe called the sunday sun.

realies wrote: »
    New newspaper maybe called the sunday sun.
    There is alread a newspaper called the "Sunday Sun"
    Its printed/sold in Newcastle.
    To use that name would be breaking copyright laws.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Biggins wrote: »
    And Murdoch's companies would never break the law, would they?:pac:

edit: From the Guardian's comments:

The sunday sun? in the words of the immortal Alan Partridge "they've re-badged it, you fool!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Biggins wrote: »

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/

A new name is the least of their worries :) They will think of one in no time :D

El Weirdo wrote: »
    And Murdoch's companies would never break the law, would they? :pac:

Indeed. ;)
    A new name is the least of their worries :) They will think of one in no time :D
    ...Ot just buyout the minor paper and name!

It was the biggest english selling paper in europe ? BBc news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement