Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

steve9859 wrote: »
    How is this a surprise? If investigative journalists did not have links to the 'criminal underworld' they would be useless!! Gangsters living in the south of spain, and drug dealers in Essex would sleep much more soundly in their beds knowing that private investigators and journalists employed by the tabloids wont be trying to expose them.

This whole thing is in danger of getting out of control and clamping down on the press so much that they wont be able to dig up any big story like the expenses scandal

Exactly, the abuse of libel laws and super injunctions is worrying, the last thing we need it the press muzzled.

Let us remember that the copper at the centre of this media storm wanted to lock people up for 90 days without charge, the PTA is regularly used to arrest people who are protesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Exactly, the abuse of libel laws and super injunctions is worrying, the last thing we need it the press muzzled.
    Lets be honest, its ironic, given that David Norris was this week voted into silence by FG lead Galway council, we don't have to look too far for those taking a similar route!
    Our laws were similar used to quell any opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

FatherLen wrote: »
    what in jesus titty fucking christ is thedailybeast?

You sound like a Sun or Daily Sport journo :D

I note the FBI might be responding to calls for an investigation:
    Peter King, a Republican who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, has written to the FBI to ask them to investigate according to the Telegraph.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hacking-another-arrest-with-calls-for-us-probe-and-murdoch-to-face-questions-176802-Jul2011/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They could well be in a world of shit now.

The FBI is investigating reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation sought to hack the phones of victims of the 9/11 terror attacks, reports say.
    Reports of a criminal probe follow calls from a growing number of senators and a senior Republican congressman for an investigation.
    An FBI official told the BBC that reports of probe were "credible".
    An FBI inquiry would be mean that the phone hacking scandal has crossed the Atlantic, analysts say.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14162545

The consequences of the civil actions that could follow would enormous. And none of his old buddies will want to know him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

that murdoch! what a card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Biggins wrote: »
    I note the FBI might be responding to calls for an investigation:
    Peter King, a Republican who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, has written to the FBI to ask them to investigate according to the Telegraph.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hacking-another-arrest-with-calls-for-us-probe-and-murdoch-to-face-questions-176802-Jul2011/

If Peter King ends up grilling Murdoch,I won't know who to cheer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We have the word from ONE new york city cops who said they tried to bribe him for the names and phone numbers of 9/11 victims, but he wouldnt do it.

Nobody knows whether any other cops took up the offer. Its more than likely they tried to bribe more than one cop right?

Nodin wrote: »
    They could well be in a world of shit now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14162545

The consequences of the civil actions that could follow would enormous. And none of his old buddies will want to know him.
    If the FBI do find a case of hacking (and its looking likely), yes, he's really in trouble big-time.

Me heart breaks for him! /sarcasm
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    We have the word from ONE new york city cops who said they tried to bribe him for the names and phone numbers of 9/11 victims, but he wouldnt do it.

Nobody knows whether any other cops took up the offer. Its more than likely they tried to bribe more than one cop right?
    Would most dedicated hackers/snoops give up at the very first attempt?
    I suspect not.

News this afternoon is that the FBI will be starting an investigation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/nyregion/fbi-opens-inquiry-into-hacking-of-911-victims.html?_r=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I´m very surprised that said cop did not report it immediately.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No idea. It would strike me as something with so much potential for fuck up that no-one in their right fucking mind would do it - either to accept the bribe or to try and and bribe/hack in the 1st place. I can't think of any rewards that would justify the risk.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    A snoop just wouldn't go up to a cop for a very first time and ask for phone numbers for 9/11 victims.
    My guessing is that whoever hacked the victims phones via a cop, that cop or others, have been asked for info before.
    ...so don't be surprised if cops that have done this before and maybe got a bribe, are not too quick to speak up in a later instance, exposing also maybe earlier payments they might fear!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Just imagine the way the said paper could stitch him up with a few false inuendos. Papers, or people working on their payroll, have been known to plant. There have been convictions for this.

Something to remember is that the New York City Police commissioner at the time of 9/11 spent time in jail for tax evasion. He was said the have ties to organized crime but nothing proved. They got him on tax evasion (same as Al capone) but there were 16 charges against him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Kerik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Nodin wrote: »
    No idea. It would strike me as something with so much potential for fuck up that no-one in their right fucking mind would do it - either to accept the bribe or to try and and bribe/hack in the 1st place. I can't think of any rewards that would justify the risk.

That's what everyone thinks before they rob their first bank [insert crime of choice here] but you get away with the first one, then maybe you try a second, after your third you think you are fukking invincible. NOTW is what we know about, who knows what we don't know about and for how long it went on before the anvil fell.

strobe wrote: »
    That's what everyone thinks before they rob their first bank [insert crime of choice here] but you get away with the first one, then maybe you try a second, after your third you think you are fukking invincible. Risk? What risk?

This is the way it works. Guilt on the first bit of corruption .......... dimishing with each corrupt deed until eventually thinking that it's their entitlement.

The Beast leads again. Murdoch has tried the "independent committee" thing before. All very nice except for the fact that he made sure that it wasn't independent. The solids are heading in the general direction of the fan in the US. Ozymandias may be no more. And so say all of us! http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/14/murdoch-s-sham-news-corp-investigation.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Rebekah Brooks has resigned...mmm.

About bleeding time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

About bleeding time

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

Contrary to my title. This post is not about the film The Shawshank Redemption.

News just in, Rebecca Brooks quits. Too little too late in my opinion, why didn't she do this earlier?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/hacking.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Biggins wrote: »
    Lets be honest, its ironic, given that David Norris was this week voted into silence by FG lead Galway council, we don't have to look too far for those taking a similar route!
    Our laws were similar used to quell any opposition.

It was one bad error of judgement in the race for a position which is basically just a glorified Rose of Tralee, an error which has actually given David Norris far more publicity than he would have gotten if he had the opportunity to speak to this council which wasn't going to support his bid whether he got the chance to attend or not.

Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as what The News of the World were doing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Has she been arrested yet?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Has she been arrested yet?

Not that I'm aware of. There is no way she could have been editor of that paper and not known what was going on, and if she didn't she was the boss and therefore should still be held accountable for not doing her job. Pity she wasn't sacked, that only happened to the staff who were not responsible for the scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Didn't she sing Friday?

She should have been arrested for that.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Didn't she sing Friday?

She should have been arrested for that.

No, that's Rebecca Black.

I think Rebecca Brooks was in T'Pau.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

I knew this was going to happen, she said so on her mobile phone yesterday that I just happened to listen in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

secrecy_ie wrote: »
    Contrary to my title. This post is not about the film The Shawshank Redemption.

News just in, Rebecca Brooks quits. Too little too late in my opinion, why didn't she do this earlier?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/hacking.html
    In a statement, she said she felt a "deep responsibility for the people we have hurt".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14166162

Maybe she was asked kindly to feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Clearly, in fact, the Murdoch's wanted to keep her on board. She said "this time" her resignation was accepted. This time.

The Murdoch's didn't want her to leave. I can only speculate as to why. However she is appearing at a Common's committee next week - let's see what happens/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

All of her victims should be lined up and allowed to kick her in the shins..... or knee her in the gee.

how long until her book is on the shelves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

how long until her brook is on the shelves?

• Advertisement

...And will it rest in the same semi-fiction section as Berties book?

Too little too late in my opinion, why didn't she do this earlier?

The theory is that as long as she stayed in her job she was distracting attention from James Murdoch, who is the heir to News Corp and could also be facing jail time.

Lets hope attention now switches to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rupert Murdoch at some point was reported to have described Brooks as the daughter he never had..
    Wonder how his real daughter Elisabeth feels about that.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch at some point was reported to have described Brooks as the daughter he never had..
    Wonder how his real daughter Elisabeth feels about that.

Depends on her definition of had

Depends on her definition of had

Oi! You a redundant hack from the NOTW stable? :D

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    Oi! You a redundant hack from the NOTW stable? :D

Nope but my application for the SOS is in the post

Nope but my application for the SOS is in the post

Well then, in future posts please use small words. To get in training, like :)

Still gaining momentum in the US:

"Les Hinton, the top executive of Rupert Murdoch's Dow Jones & Co, resigned after becoming one of the targets of criticism for the phone-hacking scandal that occurred when he oversaw News Corp's British newspapers, the company said."

I wonder is there any chance of someone posting a few pics of Rebeka's parents, sisters, brothers, or their kids. I'm sure she must have relations that have got mobile phones etc., or even if someone has a bit of spare time, how about setting up tent in their front lawn :rolleyes:. And like the reporter from TNOTW, she finally made her excuses/told a pack of lies and left :rolleyes:. She could not use the well trodden path of wanting to spend more time with her family! But as she knows where the bodies are hidden and is no longer friends with Murdoch's daughter and wife ........ I imagine she'll get a big OMERTA BONUS, and no book release clause 'til The Dirty Digger's grave is dug. However, like all great liars ....... Nixon, Jeffrey Archer, Clinton, Blair, Bertie ...... she will be forgiven by the population at large and earn a small fortune on the lecture circuit. But for the moment she is spoiled goods.

Spread wrote: »
    I imagine that Les Hinton or The Wicked Witch of Wapping are being measured up for the toaster at the moment. Why Murdoch is allowed to keep his shareholding above 29.9% is a mystery. If News Corp is deemed unfit then he should be forced to sell.
    Still gaining momentum in the US:

"Les Hinton, the top executive of Rupert Murdoch's Dow Jones & Co, resigned after becoming one of the targets of criticism for the phone-hacking scandal that occurred when he oversaw News Corp's British newspapers, the company said."

As revealed exclusively by TNOTW BOARDS.IE last Tuesday!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If - I say IF this is true: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015247/Rupert-Murdoch-faces-losing-control-Fox-investors-lose-confidence-amid-U-S-bribery-probe-threat.html

...then the vultures are really starting to circle and see blood.
    (We can always hope!)

What happens when you substitute Rupert Murdoch for "Moloch" in Allen Ginsberg's haunting poem from "Howl?" Some 55 years later, the results are eerily telling.

Allen Ginsberg first performed his epic poem "Howl" at the Six Gallery in San Francisco on October 7th, 1955. A year later, the collection Howl and Other Poems, published by Laurence Ferlinghetti of City Lights Books, immediately became the subject of an obscenity trial.
    Some 55 years after that, James Franco reenacted much of it for the silver screen in the movie Howl and the damning, sardonic prose was no less impactful.
    Ultimately deemed not obscene by the honorable Judge Clayton W. Horn, Ginsberg's tome has since become one of the most famous poems of the Beat Generation -- and a telling one in light of recent events surrounding the News of the World hacking scandal. The haunting second section in particular, which pertains to the ancient Semitic deity Moloch.
    What happens when you substitute (Rupert) Murdoch for Moloch? The results are downright creepy. Judge for yourself...

Murdoch! Solitude! Filth! Ugliness! Ashcans and unobtainable dollars!
    Children screaming under the stairways! Boys sobbing in armies! Old
    men weeping in the parks!
    Murdoch! Murdoch! Nightmare of Murdoch! Murdoch the loveless!
    Mental Murdoch! Murdoch the heavy judger of men!
    Murdoch the incomprehensible prison! Murdoch the crossbone soulless
    jailhouse and Congress of sorrows! Murdoch whose buildings are
    judgment! Murdoch the vast stone of war! Murdoch the stunned
    governments!
    Murdoch whose mind is pure machinery! Murdoch whose blood is running money!
    Murdoch whose fingers are ten armies! Murdoch whose breast is a
    cannibal dynamo! Murdoch whose ear is a smoking tomb!
    Murdoch whose eyes are a thousand blind windows! Murdoch whose skyscraper
    stand in the long streets like endless Jehovahs! Murdoch whose
    factories dream and croak in the fog! Murdoch whose smoke-stacks and
    antennae crown the cities!
    Murdoch whose love is endless oil and stone! Murdoch whose soul is
    electricity and banks! Murdoch whose poverty is the specter of genius!
    Murdoch whose fate is a cloud of sexless hydrogen! Murdoch whose name
    is the Mind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Noticed heavy advertising from other newspaper trying to gain a share of the normal Notw readership.
    The (murdoch)Sunday Times will be €1.50, The Mail on Sunday €1 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Advertisement
Advertisement