Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The MP's expenses scandal was bad but not this bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

latenia wrote: »
    David Cameron knowingly employed a man who oversaw the illegal hacking of political rivals' communications and is a close friend of a woman who did the same thing.

Any proof to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Give over. Its not even the biggest political scandal in the last few years.

I suspect you have been reading too many of the idealogically driven articles in the UK Guardian.

I would have agreed with you before today. I thought it was just a storm in a teacup really.

But the session this afternoon was covered live all over the world. CNN doesnt break off normal news for MPs committees happening in the UK (and it was the US feed I was watching, not CNN Europe! Agreed it is largely the Murdochs rather than the political angle that has captured the world's attention, but the scale of the whole thing will drag Cameron in further I suspect. I am starting to think that the proverbial stone has only just started rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

latenia wrote: »
    Maybe you don't understand how big this is already and it's only going to get bigger as worse dirt comes out in the wash. This is probably the greatest political scandal in UK history. David Cameron will have to resign sooner or later and there will probably be a general election in the UK.

I suspect you have been reading too many of the idealogically driven articles in the UK Guardian.

Whats with all the hatred for the Guardian?They followed a story that no one else had any interest in,and it led them to this.Good old fashioned investigative journalism.And at this point,everyone else is covering it extensively,including the Telegraph and Murdoch's own Sky News.Hardly the militant left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Any proof to back that up?

Have you been hiding in a cave for the last month or something?
    As the Conservative Party's director of communications, Coulson continued to be subjected to allegations that he was aware of the hacking of phones while serving as the editor of News of the World. On 7 July 2009, John Prescott called on leader of the Conservative Party David Cameron to remove Coulson from his position, after The Guardian revealed further details about phone-hacking by the News of the World.[17] Cameron, though, defended Coulson on the morning of 9 July: "I believe in giving people a second chance. As director of communications for the Conservatives he does an excellent job in a proper, upright way at all times."[18]

On 1 September 2010 The New York Times printed new allegations from former News of the World reporters alleging that Coulson had "actively encouraged" reporters to illegally intercept voicemail messages, and that he "was present during discussions about phone hacking".[19] Coulson has denied these latest claims.[20]

A report aired on Channel 4's Dispatches in October included remarks made by an unnamed source, said to have been a former senior journalist at the News of the World who worked alongside Coulson. The source alleged that Coulson had personally listened to messages obtained through phone hacking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Listen to yourself. If it wasn't for the Guardian this story would have gone the way of the Dodo and we'd be sick of hearing about the next stupid celebrity. The Guardian practise real journalism, do yourself a favour, pick it up and put the fúckin Mail down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

karma_ wrote: »
    Listen to yourself. If it wasn't for the Guardian this story would have gone the way of the Dodo and we'd be sick of hearing about the next stupid celebrity. The Guardian practise real journalism, do yourself a favour, pick it up and put the fúckin Mail down.

I shall continue to buy the Daily Telegraph as I do each morning without fail.

The Guardian is nothing more than an extreme left wing publication with a relatively low circulation, showing how out of touch it is with the British public as a whole. The Guardian enjoy the demise of Britain unfortunately.

The Guardian is nothing more than an extreme left wing publication with a relatively low circulation, showing how out of touch it is with the British public as a whole. The Guardian enjoy the demise of Britain unfortunately.

You do that, Adolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The Telegraph is as right wing, as the Guardian is as left wing.

They both cancel each other out, in fairness.

The Telegraph is as right wing, as the Guardian is as left wing.

They both cancel each other out, in fairness.

The Guardian also has a fairly large physical circulation and it's probably the most visited UK online news source.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Satire, I take it.

You do that, Adolf.

Haha, cringe. Anyone right of centre = Nazi? As I said, out of touch.

I buy and read the telegraph mainly due to the fact that it is the publication which is most beneficial to me when casually obtaining contemporary accounts of war and analysis of defence strategy in Britain and abroad. Rather handy considering my degree is titled War Studies. However, the fact that it is a decidedly right of centre newspaper is also of importance.

Nodin wrote: »
    Satire, I take it.

Oh so smug Nodin with a characteristic show of unwarranted left of centre aloofness, I take it.

Of course, this only applies when discussing nations which aren't your own.

I buy and read the telegraph mainly due to the fact that it is the publication which is most beneficial to me when casually obtaining contemporary accounts of war and analysis of defence strategy in Britain and abroad. Rather handy considering my degree is titled War Studies. However, the fact that it is a decidedly right of centre newspaper is also of importance.

I was just highlighting how stupid it was to call the Guardian an extreme Left-wing paper, and just as absurd as me equating a Telegraph reader to a nazi. The Guardian is a centre-Left liberal paper, but it's not extreme at all.

Interesting you felt it necessary to explain why you pick up the Telegraph though, wasn't it!

The Guardian also has a fairly large physical circulation and it's probably the most visited UK online news source.

A circulation less than half that of the telegraph, half that of the Express, half that of the Times, and a sixth the size of daily circulation of the Mail. As I said, out of touch. They are saved by having the BBC to give them a platform to shout as loud as they can from. The British left are a ruthless, uncompromising force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Stilted writing => defensive, insecure. Why are you so afraid?

A circulation less than half that of the telegraph, half that of the Express, half that of the Times, and a sixth the size of daily circulation of the Mail. As I said, out of touch. They are saved by having the BBC to give them a platform to shout as loud as they can from. The British left are a ruthless, uncompromising force.

No idea where you're getting your numbers from but they are wrong:
    5. The Daily Telegraph (1,680,000)
    6. The Times (1,565,000)
    7. Daily Star (1,571,000)
    8. Daily Express (1,427,000)
    9. The Guardian (1,103,000)
    10. The Independent (532,000)

http://www.mediauk.com/article/32696/the-most-popular-newspapers-in-the-uk

This does not even take into account the massive online presence the Guardian has, which in todays terms is more important that actual physical circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

They're obviously doing something right with regards to investigative journalism.Can you really say that of the Mail or Express?And it's very much in the liberal (and old Liberal party) tradition - to characterise it as extreme left is ludicrous.

Oh so smug Nodin with a characteristic show of unwarranted left of centre aloofness, I take it.

Of course, this only applies when discussing nations which aren't your own.

No idea what you're on about there.

However, the Guardian can hardly be called "extreme left wing publication" and the Times is generally viewed as the British paper of record. Thus my remark as regards satire.

No idea where you're getting your numbers from but they are wrong:

http://www.mediauk.com/article/32696/the-most-popular-newspapers-in-the-uk

This does not even take into account the massive online presence the Guardian has, which in todays terms is more important that actual physical circulation.

http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/do/live/factsAndFigures

From here. So, I'm actually not wrong. I'm not sure you fully understand what circulation means, which I believe is the root of the issue.

Readership, which you are clinging to in order to sustain your argument, is far less convincing as a method of measuring the overall attitudes of the general public. Do I read the Guardian if someone in my flat has brought one in. I'll have a flick through it, sure. I'll be the first to say they are very good when it comes to sport. It doesnt reflect my persuasions in any way however.

• Advertisement

http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/do/live/factsAndFigures

From here. So, I'm actually not wrong. I'm not sure you fully understand what circulation means, which I believe is the root of the issue.

Readership, which you are clinging to in order to sustain your argument, is far less convincing as a method of measuring the overall attitudes of the general public. Do I read the Guardian if someone in my flat has brought one in. I'll have a flick through it, sure. I'll be the first to say they are very good when it comes to sport. It doesnt reflect my persuasions in any way however.

My argument is simply that the Guardian is not an extreme Left-wing publication.

Nodin wrote: »
    No idea what you're on about there.

However, the Guardian can hardly be called "extreme left wing publication" and the Times is generally viewed as the British paper of record. Thus my remark as regards satire.

It is all too typical of those on the left to have a heightened sense of importance and a belief that they are morally superior. A classical example would be for a right leaning paper to run a headline informing the readership of the surrender of sovereignty to the EU by the government. This would then be picked up by a guardian reader (including 5 out of the 7 I share a flat with at university) who would comment on an anti-european, archaic bigotry which exists among those who basically aren't them. It is a sense of aloofness which exists far less among those on the right of centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lads/Ladies, we are pulling ever so slightly off topic.
    Keep it on track please and thanks.

I........... A classical example would be for a right leaning paper to run a headline informing the readership of the surrender of sovereignty to the EU by the government. ......

Well its more likely to be a claim to that effect which, regardless of the mentality behind it, turns out to be either a gross distortion or untrue.

Yes, the down to earth blushing violets of the right......

Lads/Ladies, we are pulling ever so slightly off topic.
    Keep it on track please and thanks.

I'd posted before I saw that. soz etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyway...

The telegraph has certainly been doing its bit to take murdoch down as well.

So good for them for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The Daily Beast : Murdoch Resignation Rumors Fly
    As News. Corp brass doubts Murdoch's ability to contain fallout from the phone-hacking scandal, the company is considering replacing him with COO Chase Carey, several inside sources said. Plus, breaking updates.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/07/murdoch-folds-news-of-the-world-amid-phone-hacking-firestorm.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Spread wrote: »
    The Daily Beast : Murdoch Resignation Rumors Fly
    As News. Corp brass doubts Murdoch's ability to contain fallout from the phone-hacking scandal, the company is considering replacing him with COO Chase Carey, several inside sources said. Plus, breaking updates.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/07/murdoch-folds-news-of-the-world-amid-phone-hacking-firestorm.html
    Rightly so, age is catching up on the old codger, he is no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer as he would have been even as far back as 10 years ago.

If I had my life savings invested in a company like that I would expect a CEO that knew the score and would accept all the responsibilities of his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Noose tightens on News Corp as Calpers - one of the world's biggest pension funds - considers it's options.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23971588-major-shareholder-turns-up-heat-on-embattled-murdoch.do

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cameron could'nt deny he had talks about BSkyB when asked a number of times in parliament. He kept saying he never 'had one inappropriate conversation' with News International executives..

More scalps to come in this I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The biter bit: A journalist was arrested in Britain today on suspicion of computer hacking.

The 28-year-old man, understood to be the former Times journalist Patrick Foster, was held at his north London home this morning.

It is understood the arrest relates to a Scotland Yard investigation into the hacking of the email account of Lancashire detective Richard Horton in 2009 which unmasked him as the author of the anonymous NightJack blog.

Mr Foster is now a freelance reporter for the Guardian newspaper, which broke the phone-hacking story and has been a vocal critic of News Corp chief Rupert Murdoch. Guardian spokeswoman Christine Crowther declined to comment on the arrest other than to say he hadn't written a story for the title since January.

Mr Foster is the 11th person to be arrested by detectives from Operation Tuleta, the Metropolitan Police investigation of breaches of privacy, which is running alongside the phone-hacking scandal investigation, Operation Weeting.

He was also arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Officers from Operation Tuleta, the investigation into criminal breaches of privacy including computer hacking which is being carried out in conjunction with MPS phone hacking inquiries, arrested a man in North London this morning."

“The 28-year-old man, a journalist, was arrested at his home address at approximately 7am for suspected offences under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and suspected conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, contrary to the Criminal Law Act 1977.”

He was being questioned at a North London police station.

Advertisement