Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Getting rid of the notw and putting money to a
    good cause, damage control eh mr Murdoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Do you think paul williams will write about unemployment now?

Na he will blame the closure on some limerick gang supplied by johnny goldfinger from dublin who lives in cork but has an apartment in the south of spain who he shares with other drug dealing filth. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Do you think paul williams will write about unemployment now?
    Maybe he'll have to start dealing drugs to keep his head above water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Someone hoping to make a few quid may have set the Sun on Sunday sites up in anticipation, so they can be flogged off to Murdoch.

The new rag should start as it means to go on and be called The Sunday Hacker.
    The announcement has sparked speculation that the News of the World’s sister paper, The Sun, will now become a seven-day operation.

The BBC also reported that at least two Internet domain names involving variations of “Sun on Sunday” had been registered by unknown parties in the past two days.
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43671429/ns/business-us_business/

Its known that Murdoch has already registered the name as a forthcoming paper.

The rag format is not going away - just a replacement coming with a PR exercise for the sake of a BSkyB contract/merger/takeover.
    News International is understood to be planning a new Sunday newspaper called The Sun on Sunday.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/22560-notw-newspaper-to-close/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Downlinz wrote: »
    Why is it good news? Stuff like this provide ample fodder to mock british people with. And its those vultures financing underhanded reporting, "scum" like the news of the world are merely supplying for the demand from the british public. Who are the real vile lowlifes in this.

I don't know much about the Irish version but all of this scandal is to do with their sister paper and you have to feel bad for the employees of the Irish version being laid off for doing nothing wrong at all.

Are you calling the British public vile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a PR ploy....NOtW "name" has been sullied, so The sun will just publish 7 days....i really REALLY hope the pressure keeps up!.....i mean, The Sun imo is JUST as bad as NOTW, i mean....for one good thing the NOTW website was subscription, wheras The Sun isin't....meaning i can't avoid it.

I really hope they keep the pressure up and go after The Sun....i mean, they are NO different!

just dont go onto it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The absence of a question mark would suggest, quite strongly, that he is.

...I really hope they keep the pressure up and go after The Sun....i mean, they are NO different!

http://the-sun-lies.blogspot.com/

http://www.mailwatch.co.uk/

http://expresswatch.co.uk/

The NOTW is not on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43671429/ns/business-us_business/

Its known that Murdoch has already registered the name as a forthcoming paper.

The rag format is not going away - just a replacement coming with a PR exercise for the sake of a BSkyB contract/merger/takeover.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/22560-notw-newspaper-to-close/

They should start investigating it before it starts, just to keep them on their toes, and also look into the rest of the Murdoch mouth-pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

miketv wrote: »
    Does that mean Bertie is out of the cupboard?

I hope that someone tells Bertie that he has no job and that he dosen't come back in a few months saying that he wished someone had told him.
    :D:D

• Advertisement

Sounds likes a NOTW journalist. Casting judgement, no facts, blah blah blah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

realies wrote: »
    Its the third best selling newspaper in Ireland after the sunday world & sunday Independent, surprised at that.
    The CNN breaking news email I got said it was the highest selling English language newspaper in the world:eek:

Apparently, the people at the top who are actually responsible for the hacking have not lost their jobs, according to Sky News anyway... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah balls so now I'm going to have to buy bog roll again...

...Apparently, the people at the top who are actually responsible for the hacking have not lost their jobs, according to Sky News anyway... :confused:
    True.
    200 others are however out of work now.

He's so good, he should start his own tabloid, The Bullsh1t Daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Are you implying they're not considering they provide demand for those kind of stories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is alread a newspaper called the "Sunday Sun"
    Its printed/sold in Newcastle.
    The fcuker Murdock probably owns that too,

Are you implying they're not considering they provide demand for those kind of stories?

I'm not implying they're not I'm telling you they're not.

Kinda like I'm not implying you're a tw@t, I'm telling you you're a tw@t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I will miss the spoof sports stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Pighead wrote: »
    Great news for News of the World haters. Not so great news for NOTW employees.

It's great news for the environment too. Sales of "News of the World" averaged 2,812,000 a week last year. Just think how much less paper will be wasted on printing garbage every Sunday now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thomas828 wrote: »
    It's great news for the environment too. Sales of "News of the World" averaged 2,812,000 a week last year. Just think how much less paper will be wasted on printing garbage every Sunday now.
    Ban news for toilet paper production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

is should be obvious to you by now that the irish are reading them.any way the sports pages were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Isn't this just Rupert shooting a wounded horse because it was likely to further delay his BSkyB bid being accepted?

Thomas828 wrote: »
    Ban news for toilet paper production.
    There WILL be a replacement. Its already in the process of getting ready to come out.
    strobe wrote: »
    Isn't this just Rupert shooting a wounded horse because it was likely to further delay his BSkyB bid being accepted?
    Yes, no question I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

strobe wrote: »

Yep. This scandal poses a serious risk of contagion across the rest of his UK media empire, so it makes business sense to dump the paper. And Brooks / Wade is still employed.

Not much justice on show yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

**** em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The Sun on Sunday.

:p

Maybe. The Sunday Hacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep. This scandal poses a serious risk of contagion across the rest of his UK media empire, so it makes business sense to dump the paper. And Brooks / Wade is still employed.

Not much justice on show yet...
    dont worry the rest of the daily news media will make sure this will not go away in a hurry,

Of course, the entire population queues up in their millions on a Sunday just to buy the News of The World, so they must all be vile. :o

I'm not implying they're not I'm telling you they're not.

Kinda like I'm not implying you're a tw@t, I'm telling you you're a tw@t.

That post reads like a NOTW article.

You work for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I for one am devestated.

Where am I gonna get my world news from now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Shame, I liked the magazine that came with it.

All those out of work staff probably aren't very happy.

Although their TV reviewer is a tasteless moron so I'm glad he's unemployed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Blisterman wrote: »
    I for one am devestated.
    Where am I gonna get my world news from now?
    Boards.ie :D

(...Or http://news.google.com/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Pity the Sun & the Star wouldn't kindly p*ss off now as well.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That post reads like a NOTW article.

You work for them?

Nah, I'm just one of the vile British public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Rupert will simply fire the chief editor and a few reporters rebrand it and re launch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Thesunonsunday.co.uk domain name was registered two days ago by a web design company called Mediaspring.
    Thesunonsunday.com was also registered two days ago.

A rose by any other name still grows from manure and other ****e.

I don't think its all that much great news to be honest - and I'll say why.

1. Its a ploy so that Murdoch can go a head now with his takeover in time, when this PR exercise is over.
    2. 200 staff (from printers to factory floor staff) are now out of work. None of the present lot (getting sacked) are/were involved in the hacking.
    3. There was going to be cuts anyway in the NOTW production lines anyway too according to the Financial Times.
    4. Rebeka Brooks is STILL employed - even after being named by the hacker involved as also being in on the hacking.
    5. Those that are/were going to sue the paper, will be effected now more so in their case in regard to limits of liabilities, seeing as the paper will now be closed come Monday. (There was reports that there may be 4,000 victims, with a total settlement cost of £120 million (€133.5 million ) - see: http://tinyurl.com/6zxxdcx.)
    6. There WILL be a Murdoch newspaper replacement. Its already in the works - so nothing there will change. Murdoch will still eventually produce more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Now to get rid of the Sun, Daily Fail, Star, Mirror and Sunday World.

You forgot the Sindo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You forgot the Sindo
    The Mail on Sunday too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

I, for one, am sorry to see them go. I'll have to buy toilet roll and a Sunday Newspaper now.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Yes, like Bertie Ahern. Does nobody care about our great former leader? Nobody?

What an ungrateful bunch are the Irish people. As the great man said himself: "when I left, the economy was doing great".

Let's all say a prayer for "Bertie" that he won't be out of pocket for too long. He's one of us after all, a great man, one of the lads, as plain as Anto in the flats of Ballymun. An honest, decent man who's just misunderstood- and now he's unemployed!

We should have a national day of mourning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

So by closing down this rag, does that mean News International cannot be sued for what News of the World has done?

Or is this stunt largely about Murdoch doing as much as possible to ensure he secures the BSKYB deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

well, that joy was short lived. :mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/news-of-the-world-to-close-this-sunday-172318-Jul2011/?utm_source=shortlink

Staff at the News International-owned Irish Sun were told today that their operation would be switching to a seven-day run within the next few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Glad to see the back of it, however I'd be a far happier man if I was reading the death of Tony O'Reilly and closing of that FF rag the "Independent" and Sindo. Total scum the people writing for the Indo.

Dionysus wrote: »
    So by closing down this rag, does that mean News International cannot be sued for what News of the World has done?

Or is this stunt largely about Murdoch doing as much as possible to ensure he secures the BSKYB deal?
    Both.

The limits of their financial exposure might be limited now and/or seeing at officially the company will be closed, they cannot be sued directly - more so their insurers will have to pay out and not Murdoch's company itself.
    (Its a legal way of passing the buck - For example: Land of Furniture in Ireland/England did this it seems when they became liable for toxic sofas they were selling - so they closed down and all of a sudden on the same properties weeks later "Cost Plus Sofa's" appeared - with the same staff, properties and same stock and suppliers! Anyone now suing the previous legal entity for damage done - has to take on their insurance company, not the company itself.)

How can this be done?
    ...Because as the saying goes "The law can be an ass."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't think its all that much great news to be honest - and I'll say why.

1. Its a ploy so that Murdoch can go a head now with his takeover in time, when this PR exercise is over.

I don't think it's a ploy. NOTW made about 600K every weekend via advertising...as of today all their advertisers have pulled out except for 4, 1 of them being part owned by Murdoch.

It was public opinion and corporate comeback that killed the beast, any PR excercise is based purely around the reason for the closure.

Advertisement