Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Biggins wrote: »
    Both.

The limits of their financial exposure might be limited now and/or seeing at officially the company will be closed, they cannot be sued directly - more so their insurers will have to pay out and not Murdoch's company itself.
    (Its a legal way of passing the buck - For example: Land of Furniture in Ireland/England did this it seems when they became liable for toxic sofas they were selling - so they closed down and all of a sudden on the same properties weeks later "Cost Plus Sofa's" appeared - with the same staff, properties and same stock and suppliers! Anyone now suing the previous legal entity for damage done - has to take on their insurance company, not the company itself.)

How can this be done?
    ...Because as the saying goes "The law can be an ass."

But from what you're saying there, Biggins, the victims may be able to successfully sue for damages against News of the World and, theoretically at least, News International's insurance premium will increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Hang on lads and ladies.

Lets not kill off the Sun. I never read it, but while the ethics and the behaviour of some of the staff is shocking, there are other aspects of the paper that do a huge amount of good.

Most recently the Sun was intrumental in getting 'Help for heroes' where it is today with over £100m in donations. That is just one example. There are many others of uncovering poor treatment of certain segments of society, and putting the spotlight on people who need help. When the paper, in its position as the mostly widely read publication in the world, rides in behind something it is an incredibly powerful force for good.

While the ethics need to improve, I hope their positive influence is not lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

steve9859 wrote: »
    Hang on lads and ladies.

Lets not kill off the Sun. I never read it, but while the ethics and the behaviour of some of the staff is shocking, there are other aspects of the paper that do a huge amount of good.

Most recently the Sun was intrumental in getting 'Help for heroes' where it is today with over £100m in donations. That is just one example. There are many others of uncovering poor treatment of certain segments of society, and putting the spotlight on people who need help. When the paper, in its position as the mostly widely read publication in the world, rides in behind something it is an incredibly powerful force for good.

And the tits. Don't forget the tits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't think it's a ploy. NOTW made about 600K every weekend via advertising...as of today all their advertisers have pulled out except for 4, 1 of them being part owned by Murdoch.

It was public opinion and corporate comeback that killed the beast, any PR excercise is based purely around the reason for the closure.
    I would disagree.

Those pulling out of advertising would be doing so for the long foreseeable future while LONG investigarions continue (by two inquiries alone).
    The loss financially would run into hundreds of millions, if not more.
    So now as its emerged to the world, in a short while there will be an alternative new Murdoch Sunday paper with a diffrent name.
    Whats the betting those advertisers that pulled out of the tainted NOTW, will now instead advertise with the new Murdoch paper?
    One large loss for a LONG time - versus - one shorter loss then back to normal with a 'new' alternative version with a diffrent name...

Murdoch is a businessman. He's not a fool by any means.
    For the sake of a MUCH smaller loss and he gets the PR of supposedly closing a bad imaged paper, he gets to be allowed to continue his BILLION worth takeover.
    Would any of us rather lose a few million in the short term (with another paper on the way anyhow to take up the slack!) - or Billions in the long run?

El Weirdo wrote: »

Sorry!! Many women have had great careers launched after the exposure of their 36Ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

Pity Mystic Meg didn't see that coming !!!

Hang on lads and ladies.

Yes, that sounds like an absolutely divine programme: murder a native while wearing a British state uniform in Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc and they'll get you a home because you're a "hero"

How unsurprising from a rag which brought us headlines like "Gotcha!" to celebrate the British state killing of 323 people in 1982, a rag which has epitomised the most anti-Irish element of all elements in Britain's ultra-xenophobic tabloid media since August 1969.

Dionysus wrote: »
    But from what you're saying there, Biggins, the victims may be able to successfully sue for damages against News of the World and, theoretically at least, News International's insurance premium will increase?
    Once a company closes and their insurers are left with liability, the previous owners are not legally stuck to remain with that insurers for ever more.
    They can shop around for an alternative cheaper option. I'm sure there are other huge insurance companies that are still willing to assess any regime changes and incoming legal tightening of self-governing regulations (thus exposeure being even lessened), see new government regulations coming in and set a attractive premimum insurance price that Murdoch and co will be temped to switch to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In the great Rupert Murdoch scheme of things, the revenue generated by the News of the World would be little more than 'an accounting error' as stated by BBC Radio 4 News today.

Murdoch has bigger fish to fry. He wants to expedite the takeover of BSKYB and he is now playing a very political game with the Tories.

Plus I'd offer even-odds that his other tabloid, the Sun, will now publish a Sunday edition. (catchy title - The Sunday Sun - you heard it here first!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hang on lads and ladies.

The Sun supported the Iraq War, they supported the idea of British people going to Iraq to die. It carries a lot of influence with people. It's the least they could do.

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    Yes, that sounds like an absolutely divine programme: murder a native while wearing a British state uniform in Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc and they'll get you a home because you're a "hero"

How unsurprising from a rag which brought us headlines like "Gotcha!" to celebrate the British state killing of 323 people in 1982, a rag which has epitomised the most anti-Irish element of all elements in Britain's ultra-xenophobic tabloid media since August 1969.

Many British people disagree with you. And thats who it's written for.

I repeat, Help for Heroes is a great charity that the Sun effectively created.

Not sure your political views are really relevant to this. I certainly dont care. You aren't the target audience.

I will give a more politically palatable example for you: Haiti. The Sun were massive behind that and have the power to drive fundraising in a way that no broadsheet or other media can. This is off topic, but just wanted to illustrate what good a publication with such a wide readership can do

...I'd offer even-odds that his other tabloid, the Sun, will now publish a Sunday edition. (catchy title - The Sunday Sun - you heard it here first!).
    Read the thread back a few posts - its called "The Sun On Sunday"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hang on lads and ladies.

The charity you are listing isn't really positive. They are responsible for far more negative work over the years, and the spreading of a notably xenophobic and anti - Irish sentiment. An awful paper the world would be better off without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

i wonder what paul williams will do now,,go back to the sunday world with the tail betweens his legs :D:D:D:D:D

The NUJ has alreay seen through this closure stunt and is also calling it a "cynical ploy" for the sake of the BSkyB takeover and the pushing of the Sun to a seven day week paper.
    The other media now are quickly catching on too and commenting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

it could just be me but didn't a lot of people buy that paper?

I didn't mind reading it. Never bought it just browsed it in SuperQuinn while shopping.

It was like lifting the rock to see the worms underneath. The true face of people.

No one seemed to give a sh1t when they dressed up as Arabs to take down rich bad guys and stuff like that.

No "oh that was a bit under hand sir!!"

I think I'll wait for a better bandwagon tbh.

Oh and Biggins any chance you could stop posting "paywall" material? It is stealing and against the T&C's you signed with the Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They have removed the subscription lock from its on line version.

They should be paying people to read it now. :p

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/1340740/Bon-Jovi-legend-Richie-Samboras-beauty-is-hooker.html

DecTipp wrote: »
    i wonder what paul williams will do now,,go back to the sunday world with the tail betweens his legs :D:D:D:D:D

Another self-promoting populist ceolán.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thank God that rag has finally gone off the newspaper racks.

A GREAT DAY.!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I go me first job form the News Of The World just last week ... thought things might start to look up ~~ jeezzzzzz, before the invoice is paid they shut down!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's the effin river.

...Oh and Biggins any chance you could stop posting "paywall" material? It is stealing and against the T&C's you signed with the Times.
    Don't know why you in particular have a problem - but if you do, please feel free to use the report button!

I more often now lately mention just summaries of what they say and the rest of members here I think appreciate it.
    Your the first (in a long time - if not ever!) to moan about it.

Are you telling me that you have never downloaded a film, a song, a picture or any other material yourself and maybe once or twice shared it?
    "He who has not sinned, cast the first stone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

DecTipp wrote: »

you posting from Mounyjoy by any chance?? :p

gbee wrote: »
    I go me first job form the News Of The World just last week ... thought things might start to look up ~~ jeezzzzzz, before the invoice is paid they shut down!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's the effin river.

Maybe you can blame the Irish language for that also. :rolleyes:

But how apt that you of all people wanted to work for an anti-Irish rag like that and they screwed you. Perfect, actually.

Don't know why you in particular have a problem - but if you do, please feel free to use the report button!

I more often now lately mention just summaries of what they say and the rest of members here I think appreciate it.
    Your the first (in a long time - if not ever!) to moan about it.

Are you telling me that you have never downloaded a film, a song, a picture or any other material yourself and maybe once or twice shared it?
    "He who has not sinned, cast the first stone"

I have reported you, in the past. It seems boards.ie has a policy via moderation of allowing paywall/copyrighted material being reproduced on the site.

I have reported you, in the past. It seems boards.ie has a policy via moderation of allowing paywall/copyrighted material being reproduced on the site.
    ...And to be fair, I have indeed cut down on posting direct material.
    Instead I sometimes now provide alternative source links.

Again, I don't understand why you have a problem but clealry you have, for your own reasons.
    Have you made yourself a member of some internet police? Just confused as to why your own moralistic stance.
    Are you saying you have NEVER done anything questionable concerning the internet? You must be a saint. Fair play.

I don't wish to fall out with you over it. Life is too short. Lets get back to knocking the NOTW and the Sun! ;)
    Good health. :)

. You must be a saint. Fair play. ;)

I have it on good authority that he is a direct descendant of Padre Pio himself!

I see RTE news (9.00pm) are even skeptical as to the closure of the NOTW. LOL
    Good to see a lot of people are not stupid.

I have it on good authority that he is a direct descendant of Padre Pio himself!
    If he was a "she" and had a good 'pair' I'd be tempted to hang a picture myself - like those sexy air freshners you see some times. :D

WOT!!! ...I'm a bloke! :pac:
    I never refuse a good picture of a woman. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Best news I've heard all week. In saying that though will they not just re-brand themselves under a different name after all the media attention goes away eventually?

HazDanz wrote: »
    Best news I've heard all week. In saying that though will they not just re-brand themselves under a different name after all the media attention goes away eventually?
    Its already in the works.
    Reading back though the last 40 posts (approx) will be informative to you. :)

...And to be fair, I have indeed cut down on posting direct material.
    Instead I sometimes now provide alternative source links.

Again, I don't understand why you have a problem but clealry you have, for your own reasons.
    Have you made yourself a member of some internet police? Just confused as to why your own moralistic stance.
    Are you saying you have NEVER done anything questionable concerning the internet? You must be a saint. Fair play.

I don't wish to fall out with you over it. Life is too short. Lets get back to knocking the NOTW and the Sun! ;)
    Good health. :)

I am whiter than white.
    Have you seen me break T&C's on boards? Post stolen content?

Maybe you should ask on feedback to "OK" your posting paywall material before you accuse me of being a thief, while at the same time admitting you're a thief.

I am whiter than white.
    Have you seen me break T&C's on boards? Post stolen content?

Maybe you should ask on feedback to "OK" your posting paywall material before you accuse me of being a thief, while at the same time admitting your a thief.
    Ok, you have a problem given something to do with internet usage and trying behave like a mod. I asked a question of you - not accused you of anything by the way.
    On my side - I'm going to drop this topic. Its side-tracking the current thread.
    I wish you good health still and nothing less. Bye.

while at the same time admitting your a thief.

Grammar Police here mate, pull over right there. It's YOU'RE as in you are.
    If a speed cop made a similar mistake, the judge throws the case out.

When one is being pedantic, it's essential that they are picture perfect, in this case word perfect as it only opens one to ridicule and weakens one's arguments.

Right, I'll let you off with a warning this time.

Ok, you have a problem given something to do with internet usage and trying behave like a mod. I asked a question of you - not accused you of anything by the way.
    On my side - I'm going to drop this topic. Its side-tracking the current thread.
    I wish you good health still and nothing less. Bye.

You accused me of being possibly involved in theft.
    Grammar Police here mate, pull over right there. It's YOU'RE as in you are.
    If a speed cop made a similar mistake, the judge throws the case out.

When one is being pedantic, it's essential that they are picture perfect, in this case word perfect as it only opens one to ridicule and weakens one's arguments.

Right, I'll let you off with a warning this time.

eh...

• Advertisement

Dear The Left Hand Of God,

As I said, "Good health"
    Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Scummy rag along with it's weekly edition. Fantastic news lets hope there is more to follow.

eh...

I thought so :rolleyes: Bye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

The best news of all, Bertie and Paul Williams will be losing their paycheck.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As far as i know bertie stopped writing for them some months ago, Think he is locked Ina cupboard or something :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The best news of all, Bertie and Paul Williams will be losing their paycheck.:D

More than likely they will be rehired into what ever up and coming rag that Murdock has replacing this.

realies wrote: »
    As far as i know bertie stopped writing for them some months ago, Think he is locked Ina cupboard or something :-)
    Should be locked in something else to be honest.
    More than likely they will be rehired into what ever up and coming rag that Murdock has replacing this.
    True. (although I hope not) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

FAO: Chris Bascombe

I need a butler. Duties including massaging my feet and making me my dinner, bitch.

RSV to 01-21-do-1.

FAO: Chris Bascombe

I need a butler. Duties including massaging my feet and making me my dinner, bitch.

RSV to 01-21-do-1.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hacking the phones of dead kids and armymen ?

Sick f**ks, they will be heading in the downward direction when they pop it, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

El Weirdo wrote: »

Get them out, for the lads........

ebbsy wrote: »
    Hacking the phones of dead kids and armymen ?

Sick f**ks, they will be heading in the downward direction when they pop it, hopefully.

In all fairness, that's probably among the least of their crimes in their long and ignominious careers as "journalists" for one of the most rabidly xenophobic and nationalistic tabloid newspapers in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

:confused:

Liverpool fan and jurno who wrote for the NOTW.

As Prime Time is now showing, Irish journalists/writers were hacked and undercover spies were put at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Delighted,justice for all those poor innocent people hacked.Hope it's not part of some cynical ploy to divert attention from the planned BSkyB takeover.It was an awful rag of a paper I believe,never bought it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement