Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Please please please let this be the beginning of the end for news international.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

seligehgit wrote: »
    Delighted,justice for all those poor innocent people hacked. Hope it's not part of some cynical ploy to divert attention from the planned BSkyB takeover.It was an awful rag of a paper I believe,never bought it.
    There is very few now that think its not a ploy in order to gain the takeover permission from Englands government.
    Please please please let this be the beginning of the end for news international.
    Not a hope.

Fair play to John Prescott on Prime Time at the mo, he's calling this latest stunt, for what it is now, a business manover and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Dionysus wrote: »
    Yes, that sounds like an absolutely divine programme: murder a native while wearing a British state uniform in Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc and they'll get you a home because you're a "hero"

How unsurprising from a rag which brought us headlines like "Gotcha!" to celebrate the British state killing of 323 people in 1982, a rag which has epitomised the most anti-Irish element of all elements in Britain's ultra-xenophobic tabloid media since August 1969.

Oh what a coherant overview of British strategic theory and military practice in the 20th and 21st centuries. British soldiers being sent to murder natives. :pac: Hate filled agenda or just misguided and ill informed?

The sun has its flaws but its campaigns to raise the profile of charities, with help for heroes being a great example, should certainly be commended. Obviously views and opinions on issues such as this will be vastly different depending on nationality. Its fantastic to see how much exposure H4H is getting and how much money is raised for these wounded heroes who wear the uniform of the British state. :)

With the Irish state not being involved actively in warfare for a substantial period of time, I'd suggest you wouldnt be in a position to comment experiences of war, be it civilian or military, individual or community in the same manner as many British people who have lived through them and continue to do so. The Falklands War being a prime example.

On the matter of NOTW, unfortunate for those who lost their jobs, as the overwhelming majority of employees would have had no part in these very wrong acts. Financial gain before the livelihood of the individuals loyal to the company. The wrong sort of action taken imo. The paper was going under anyway, and Murdoch is covering his back and the back of his vast empire which is clear to everyone.

...On the matter of NOTW, unfortunate for those who lost their jobs, as the overwhelming majority of employees would have had no part in these very wrong acts. Financial gain before the livelihood of the individuals loyal to the company. The wrong sort of action taken imo. The paper was going under anyway, and Murdoch is covering his back and the back of his vast empire which is clear to everyone.
    The last thing they should do, is reward Murdoch by allowing his takeover of BSkyB and more control of British media. Talk about rewarding the devil!

As bad as he is now, he'd be much worse if he got his way - and treating 200 to 400 workers as fodder for his manovers is not the actions of someone honourable.
    ...And for that alone, he should be sent packing - never mind still backing and employing Rebekah Brooks who has been named as being complicit with the phone hacker, present at meetings discussing the hacking and materials gained from said activities, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Consolidation of media..smells effy,,murdock? fewer papers.cuts jobs lost..new world order? who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Dionysus wrote: »
    I xenophobic

Had to look it up!

from Google
    "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture".[1] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" a

I'd offer that we need a lot more of this TBH. It's also called nationalism which you correctly expurgated.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

This seems very plausible and would suggest to me that such contingency has been on the cards since at least January when coulsen resigned http://http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/07/is-murdoch-free-to-destroy-tabloids-records/. Shows how bad Murdoch needs bskyb

EggsAckley wrote: »
    This seems very plausible and would suggest to me that such contingency has been on the cards since at least January when coulsen resigned http://http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2011/07/07/is-murdoch-free-to-destroy-tabloids-records/. Shows how bad Murdoch needs bskyb
    Thanks for that link. A very interesting point!
    With your permission I post the contents for phone users.
    I insert paragraphs just to make it easier on the eyes. :)
    Here’s some News of the World news to spin the heads of American lawyers. According to British media law star Mark Stephens of Finers Stephens Innocent (whom The Times of London has dubbed “Mr Media”), Rupert Murdoch’s soon-to-be shuttered tabloid may not be obliged to retain documents that could be relevant to civil and criminal claims against the newspaper—even in cases that are already underway. That could mean that dozens of sports, media, and political celebrities who claim News of the World hacked into their telephone accounts won’t be able to find out exactly what the tabloid knew and how it got the information.

If News of the World is to be liquidated, Stephens told Reuters, it “is a stroke of genius—perhaps evil genius.”
    Under British law, Stephens explained, all of the assets of the shuttered newspaper, including its records, will be transferred to a professional liquidator (such as a global accounting firm). The liquidator’s obligation is to maximize the estate’s assets and minimize its liabilities.

So the liquidator could be well within its discretion to decide News of the World would be best served by defaulting on pending claims rather than defending them. That way, the paper could simply destroy its documents to avoid the cost of warehousing them—and to preclude any other time bombs contained in News of the World’s records from exploding.

“Why would the liquidator want to keep [the records]?” Stephens said. “Minimizing liability is the liquidator’s job.”

That’s a very different scenario, Stephens said, from what would happen if a newspaper in the U.S. went into bankruptcy. In the U.S., a plaintiff (or, for that matter, a criminal investigator) could obtain a court order barring that kind of document destruction.

In the U.K., there’s no requirement that the estate retain its records, nor any law granting plaintiffs a right to stop the liquidator from getting rid of them.

If true, Murdoch is one clever son of a bitch on many levels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Biggins wrote: »
    There is very few now that think its not a ploy in order to gain the takeover permission from Englands government.

Not a hope.

Fair play to John Prescott on Prime Time at the mo, he's calling this latest stunt, for what it is now, a business manover and nothing more.
    Presscott could not be shut up.:D

But he was dead on the money the way he called it.

• Advertisement

Show Time wrote: »
    Presscott could not be shut up.:D

But he was dead on the money the way he called it.
    Aye - and I hope he does his best to share those thoughts of his amid his fellow politicians on all sides.
    He was saying what a lot of folk are thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

What am I going to wipe my arse with now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What am I going to wipe my arse with now :(

You wanna get some pile treatment, it was awful paper and worse the ink never dried on that recycled, previous toilet paper, muck.

I think part of your anatomy will rejoice this day, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The end of the World (part 1)

The end of the World (part 1)
    ...But the Sun On Sunday will rise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    Please Ziggy, don't let this thread descend into that tired offshoot argument again!
    It been done and ruined so many threads before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Why do these papers actually bother people? How can you be annoyed at something that you don't engage with?

I mean, I don't like fig dressing on my salad. I therefore refuse to engage with it; I have nothing to do with it - and my life is fine. I don't get angry at the fig dressing. I don't open the fridge, see it sitting there, smug, and think to myself 'you fig dressing BASTARD! I'LL GET YOU YOU BASTARD. JUST YOU WAIT! I'LL GET YOU SCUMBAG!' I don't think that.

The GF likes it; that's her thing. I don't think she's a stupid bitch for liking it - I don't think 'you stupid FUCKING BITCH! HOW CAN YOU LIKE THIS SHIT? I'LL GET YOU YOU BITCH. YOU'RE DEAD YOU WHORE' I don't think that at all.

Do you see how insane that would make me look?

But these papers influence the views of a lot of people with their dribble. So seeing it gone is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

But these papers influence the views of a lot of people with their dribble. So seeing it gone is a good thing.

I agree if the Sun, Mirror, Star, womens Celebrity magazines and Independent were got rid of the IQ of the nation would collectively rise several fold and people might learn to think for themselves and not follow whats written in such rags like sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The closure of the NoTW isn't like the dawn of some era...the plebs like to read twaddle, and they'll just go elsewhere for it. And, let's be fair, they won't have to search for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If anyone is wondering what Murdoch is like just check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_war He started his own professional sports league costing both sides hundreds of millions just so he could "win".

markesmith wrote: »
    The closure of the NoTW isn't like the dawn of some era...the plebs like to read twaddle, and they'll just go elsewhere for it. And, let's be fair, they won't have to search for too long.
    Well if folk do, lets hope they chose something that is not at least owned by Murdoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ridding society of NOTW is just like cutting a bad apple from a tree, In this case the whole tree needs to be cut down and uprooted and that is Rupert Murdock's corrupt empire.

Lets hope his advertising sponsors start to leave his other rags and media enterprises in favour of law abiding competition. A large portion of this man's corrupt empire was built up from the illegal proceeds of this best selling rag that trived on tapped phone calls from dead victims and war veterans families.

Hopefully the ordinary people of the UK and Ireland will see the light and start boycotting his media and make it a point that he keeps his nose out of BSkyB.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/phone-hacking-scandal-is-biggest-pr-disaster-of-murdochs-career/2011/07/07/gIQALAKm2H_story.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Great news!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Ridding society of NOTW is just like cutting a bad apple from a tree, In this case the whole tree needs to be cut down and uprooted and that is Rupert Murdock's corrupt empire.

Lets hope his advertising sponsors start to leave his other rags and media enterprises in favour of law abiding competition. A large portion of this man's corrupt empire was built up from the illegal proceeds of this best selling rag that trived on tapped phone calls from dead victims and war veterans families.

Hopefully the ordinary people of the UK and Ireland will see the light and start boycotting his media and make it a point that he keeps his nose out of BSkyB.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/phone-hacking-scandal-is-biggest-pr-disaster-of-murdochs-career/2011/07/07/gIQALAKm2H_story.html

This picture sums up the situation quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Miss.Marple

Have to say i'm gutted the NOTW is no more..loved reading it every Sunday especially the Fabulous Mag with it..end of an era:(..i also buy the Sunday Indo.weekly but NOTW was always my guilty pleasure;)..where will all the kiss & tell girls go now:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have to say i'm gutted the NOTW is no more..loved reading it every Sunday especially the Fabulous Mag with it..end of an era:(..i also buy the Sunday Indo.weekly but NOTW was always my guilty pleasure;)..where will all the kiss & tell girls go now:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't worry it will be back again in a few weeks in the form of another rag,

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its the end of The World as we know it..... and I feel fiiiiine! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

PoorBertie will have to employ a dictionary to get through his Sunday read!:D

Don't worry it will be back again in a few weeks in the form of another rag,
    PHEW:D:D:p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Cheer up dopey, I'm sure there are plenty of other papers with lots of pics in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Who?

Poutbutton wrote: »
    Who?

Talkin' a me? That 'dopey' remark was to the sharts who read the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is the Irish version definitely finished too?

guitarzero wrote: »
    Talkin' a me? That 'dopey' remark was to the sharts who read the paper.
    Im thinking the dopey remark was aimed at me:p!!well not that i have to justify why i read a paper,but i am:D..so be it if im dopey,i have a Masters!!Even if i was a professor i'd still love it!!!I just love me bita celeb gossip,free mag with it,problem pages etc..world would be a boring place IMO without it;)!!!!May revert to the Sunday Tribune & Business Post so:D!!!

kraggy wrote: »
    Is the Irish version definitely finished too?
    'Fraid so:(:(:o

Im thinking the dopey remark was aimed at me:p!!well not that i have to justify why i read a paper,but i am:D..so be it if im dopey,i have a Masters!!Even if i was a professor i'd still love it!!!I just love me bita celeb gossip,free mag with it,problem pages etc..world would be a boring place IMO without it;)!!!!May revert to the Sunday Tribune & Business Post so:D!!!

I think the world could be an amazing place if we stopped putting cameras in peoples faces all the time and playing on peoples self-esteem. Put more time into the rain forests, into health and compassion and learning to hear one another. There should be a magazine about these things. The Bible meets National Geographic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

You have a Masters???

So what, they can be bought on the net ffs:rolleyes:

You have a Masters???

So what, they can be bought on the net ffs:rolleyes:
    I wish!!...I liked reading the rag..i buy 4 papers every Sunday..NOTW being one of them..shame on me eh:D!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

All Sunday papers should go. They seem to just repeat the weeks news .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if you ever paid money for this and/or the sun you are thick scum. sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah but theres still the payouts for compo to come, which could be substantial......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It's a bittersweet feeling for me.

Over 200 people have, at least temporarily, lost their jobs. However, this horrid publication has been put of business. For the time being at least. The fact that "thesunonsunday.co.uk and other similar web domains have been purchased in the last 48 hours suggests that they intend to publish under a different identity some time in the future. That, or else some clever opportunist bought them as a speculative move.

One major reason to be happy about this from our point of view in Ireland, is that horrible, sad excuse for a "journalist" Paul Williams will be out of a job. However long, I'm not sure. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i hope most of you realize that it was not only the news of the world that did this ?,most newspapers have published articles that have come from,lets say dubious iiinformation,but the NOTW did it more and was found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Slapper must be very good at her job, if she is worth sacking 200 people to keep .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Slapper must be very good at her job, if she is worth sacking 200 people to keep .

Or she knows where Murdochs skeletons, or his close "friends", are buried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

Needler wrote: »
    No more stories about homeless rabbits throwing people into the Liffey? :(
    HaHa..... like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Nice one, less rainforest wasted on writing articles for people thicker than pig s hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Sad that the people not involved with hacking lose their jobs, while the editor remains; nice to see Paul Williams out of a job though (for now at least), and Bertie too apparently? (didn't know he wrote for them)

Hope this won't successfully buffer News International from legal action; it does seem quite a cynical move aimed in that direction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement