Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One man owning all these papers and TV channels and still expanding is too much power for one person.
    I wonder could the company be broken up, Microsoft got fined hundreds of millions by the EU.

"It was the Sun wot done it" as the Sun backed the Conservative party in 92 and they won.
    And then became Tony Blairs biggest supporters as he swept into power.

Even during the Miners Strike the Sun was issuing comments and editorials slamming the unions. But then most newspapers opposed the miners and their cause, The Sun was not alone
    Big business opposing unions, it's to be expected

If you own a newspaper you can influence opinion. If you own four, now three it's far too much

Reminds me of Elliot Carver in that bond film Tomorrow Never Dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    I've no doubt words to that effect will be insinuated/hinted towards the government department heads besides quietly conveyed to those in power or want to get there.

Murdoch is a known bully and will use any means/methods to get what he wants.

He certainly never got where he is by being Mr Nice-Guy, the obnoxious power-mad sh1t.

He must be really angry now, that at this stage in his life, he hasn't got control of all the world's media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mikemac wrote: »
    ...Reminds me of Elliot Carver in that bond film Tomorrow Never Dies
    Could be Murdoch to whom the film was alluding to, to be honest!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He certainly never got where he is by being Mr Nice-Guy, the obnoxious power-mad sh1t.

He must be really angry now, that at this stage in his life, he hasn't got control of all the world's media.
    The thinking is by many that Murdoch might have though if he cut off the toxic paper totally, that PR exercise might save his attempt to take over more of BSkyB elsewhere, besides supposedly looking good at doing the right thing.

If he wanted to do the right thing, he should have sacked Brookes months ago.
    She mush have some serious schite on him, to be able to hold onto her job!

At the end of the day he has put 200 to 400 people out of work, people that again in all honestly, had nothing to do with the hacking.
    (Those involved were mostly gone by now - except as suspected a few top heads like Brooks)

We all know that the advertisers that abandoned the NOTW, will soon be back to their usual advertising as soon as the "Sun On Sunday" gets up and running.

It all just spin and political pressure bullying from now on - using every trick in the book - by Murdoch to see that he gets his way later with his takeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

About time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

I saw this yesterday and thought the Ironing was delicious!

Posted it before if you want to have a read of the Daily Mail website they are loving this.
    Lead story for the past number of days and hundreds of comments posted

They are updating the story constantly.
    The competition in trouble, it's understandable

Though they themselves are not much better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I for one welcome this news. I always thought that paper was rag as it was but the idea that they were so desparate for a story that they tapped into dead/murdered children's phones is sickening.

I can't really feel sorry for the employees either tbh. They had to have known what kind of paper they were working for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

mikemac wrote: »
    Posted it before if you want to have a read of the Daily Mail website they are loving this.
    Lead story for the past number of days and hundreds of comments posted

They are updating the story constantly.
    The competition in trouble, it's understandable

Though they themselves are not much better

The coverage and the readers comments are just one big joke, as if the DM was whiter than white and a bastion of the truth. Even the readers criticising the content of the NOTW don't seem to realise that their favourite rag prints the same kind of sh1te. Blinkered morons, the lot of them.

• Advertisement

The likes of the Mail On Sunday must be rubbing their hand in glee at the prospect of Sunday weeks sales figures going to jump up big time.
    Will be interesting to see (where there will be no NOTW) what will be on the front of the Mails Sunday paper eight days from now!

The likes of the Mail On Sunday must be rubbing their hand in glee at the prospect of Sunday weeks sales figures going to jump up big time.
    Will be interesting to see (where there will be no NOTW) what will be on the front of the Mails Sunday paper eight days from now!

There will be an upsurge in tits and bums to cater for the ex-NOTW readers, who will otherwise spend their Sundays kicking beer-cans up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Its a shame the sunday independent isn't closing too.

Its a shame all sunday news papers arent shutting down, what is it with sunday and smutty papers

Vicxas wrote: »
    ...what is it with sunday and smutty papers
    Leisure time, playing to peoples basic animal instincts and hope they will behave like herded sheep.

Yeah but my god, the front page is enough to make any jeremy kyle wannabe wet their pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mog24

I hope everyone boycotts this Sunday's edition and leaves them with the 5 million copies printed. I doubt it though, I think anyone who ever bought it will want the last one and those that never bought it will also want it for the same reason. I think it should be left on the shelves in protest at the behaviour of the editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

While standing outside a church on a recent Sunday, it struck me as being quite incongruous that more than half the Mass-goers were buying gutter press supermarket tabloids. It's beyond me how one can square attending the Blessed Sacrament with reading cheap and titillating sleaze and rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

http://ow.ly/i/e6QP

Appears to be the front and back of tomorrow's British edition anyway. Plenty of 'shame'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

While standing outside a church on a recent Sunday, it struck me as being quite incongruous that more than half the Mass-goers were buying gutter press supermarket tabloids. It's beyond me how one can square attending the Blessed Sacrament with reading cheap and titillating sleaze and rubbish.

Did you count them?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Did you count them?

He's probably a newsagent.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He's probably a newsagent.

Yeah....that would make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

mog24 wrote: »
    I hope everyone boycotts this Sunday's edition and leaves them with the 5 million copies printed. I doubt it though, I think anyone who ever bought it will want the last one and those that never bought it will also want it for the same reason. I think it should be left on the shelves in protest at the behaviour of the editor.

Well, I'm going to buy one!

(and before you call me 'tick', I've a masters from trinity and a professional job)

steve9859 wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to buy one!

(and before you call me 'tick', I've a masters from trinity and a professional job)
    Ill buy twenty of them and stick them on Fleabay. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I read an article, when the news of the world closes,its assets are given to a liquidator,and sold,most of the evidence re phone hacking could disappear,the computers will be gone,ie its hard to investigate a company that no longer exists.ITS like a developer going to england,declaring bankruptcy,his creditors have no chance of taking legal action against his company.

ricman wrote: »
    I read an article, when the news of the world closes,its assets are given to a liquidator,and sold,most of the evidence re phone hacking could disappear,the computers will be gone,ie its hard to investigate a company that no longer exists.ITS like a developer going to england,declaring bankruptcy,his creditors have no chance of taking legal action against his company.

Nope, as the company will be officially defunct - all they can do is claim against the then insurance company that was covering the paper.

Any further payments, Murdoch in the whole gets off with.
    Another clever aspect/move by the man - ruthless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ricman wrote: »

http://images.wikia.com/illogicopedia/images/c/c1/ORLY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vicxas wrote: »
    Its a shame all sunday news papers arent shutting down, what is it with sunday and smutty papers

It was discovered in the 19th century that the common people like nothing more than to spend part of their only rest day catching up on the sensational stories of the week. The NOTW briefly became the first mass circulation one-stop shop for such scandal, with its second phase at the end of the 19th century it dominated the market until the present day. 8,441,000 audited circulation in 1950!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

mike65 wrote: »
    It was discovered in the 19th century that the common people like nothing more than to spend part of their only rest day catching up on the sensational stories of the week. The NOTW briefly became the first mass circulation one-stop shop for such scandal, with its second phase at the end of the 19th century it dominated the market until the present day. 8,441,000 audited circulation in 1950!
    And now in serious decline: This from Poynter
    "So will the mercy killing of the News of the World pay off in the long-term the way the Murdochs hope, clearing the air and getting the BSkyB deal done? Quite possibly. But that depends on how much more bad or worse stuff comes out and how high in the organization evidence of poor oversight reaches."

So kill off the title, destroy the evidence and hope to move on.

• Advertisement

...And they had months - if not a year or two, to see that evidence might disappear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Thargor wrote: »

What's scary is that he doesn't seem to be following a set list of prepared answers and phrases to put a PR positive spin on the whole thing.

He is acting as if what they have done is minor and, in the larger sense, when you weigh the good against the bad, they are a paper of merit and ethics.

He is not a journalist. He hacks into people's lives to expose their private secret shame, throws together an article of questionable truth and sensationalism and pats himself on the back for it.

Delusion roams free in the halls of NOTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

blow69 wrote: »

Delusion roams free in the halls of NOTW.

Yep, the pics of their greatest moments in the last edition show it's still there, despite everything, they've learned nothing, still not getting it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

http://ow.ly/i/e6QP

Appears to be the front and back of tomorrow's British edition anyway. Plenty of 'shame'.

Look at the top right hand corner, ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

J. Marston wrote: »
    Look at the top right hand corner, ha!

That has to be wind-up surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The last edition

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/home/

"The world's greatest newspaper 1843-20112"

Lo..ffing..l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Something really fishy about the whole thing.

bbc and sky news seem to be covering this as such an unfortunate event: leaving the office for the very last time, employees embracing each other in tears, the poor journos that are out of a job (which is unfortunate), 168 years of news reporting gone, they uncovered so many crooks, the employees are so professional and proud blah blah blah.

No reports on how they underhandedly got their trashy information, smeared people in the public eye etc

Whats with the cover up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Rubik. wrote: »
    The last edition

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/home/

"The world's greatest newspaper 1843-20112"

Lo..ffing..l.
    NOTW was a quality broad sheet paper right up until the late 60's and then Murdock turned it into a rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

phasers wrote: »

You actually have to print that off and post it? That's so quaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Same site has small rota of headlines from the years,alot of rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

well high time for that! Not into reading those type of tabloid papers. Prefer the Irish Times and the Independent. There is more reading in them than tabloids.

Its hard to reconcile the two positions adopted by Rebekah Brooks.
    On the one hand she denies all knowledge what was going on - yet on the other hand she told the staff at NOTW that there is 'still more to come'.

Something don't seem right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Is it possible Murdochs son will be charged criminally?

I really hope so. Now that the corruption of the police is coming to light, they're going to have to investigate a little deeper into who knew about this stuff.

:mad:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Is it possible Murdochs son will be charged criminally?

I really hope so. Now that the corruption of the police is coming to light, they're going to have to investigate a little deeper into who knew about this stuff.

:mad:

Yes. Most definitely.
    Alan Johnson MP, the Labour home secretary from June 2009 to May 2010, suggested that Mr Murdoch could be charged under anti-snooping legislation.

This was because Mr Murdoch had admitted in a statement on Thursday that he had approved out of court settlements to hacking victims.
    It emerged in evidence to a Commons committee in 2009 that Mr Murdoch was aware of a breach of privacy claim by Gordon Taylor, the head of the Professional Footballers’ Association, and had agreed with a decision to settle for £700,000.

Any legal action could be taken under section 79 of the Regulation of Investigative Powers Act 2000, which covers the “criminal liability of directors”.
    Story continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8627025/James-Murdoch-could-face-prosecution-over-his-role-in-phone-hacking-scandal.html

Under American Law - if he decides to run off there, he too can be apparently charged from there also under present USA legislation in relation to bribing.

See here also:
    * http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/James-Murdoch-face-corporate-tele-622847373.html?x=0
    * http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/09/phone-hacking-james-murdoch-criminal-charges_n_893800.html

The Daily Mirror will lead tomorrow with the story of a New York cop being approached by NOTW to hack into 9/11 victims' phones. :)

If this is true and they investigate it Murdock is fcuked. :p

http://www.mirror.co.uk/2011/07/11/phone-hacking-9-11-victims-may-have-had-mobiles-tapped-by-news-of-the-world-reporters-115875-23262694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Its hard to reconcile the two positions adopted by Rebekah Brooks.
    On the one hand she denies all knowledge what was going on - yet on the other hand she told the staff at NOTW that there is 'still more to come'.

Something don't seem right!

Be careful questioning her, look what she did to Ross Kemp.

The Daily Mirror will lead tomorrow with the story of a New York cop being approached by NOTW to hack into 9/11 victims' phones. :)

If this is true and they investigate it Murdock is fcuked.

If thats true, the American media (if not the people) will go ballistic!
    Hacking into 9/11 victims phones - wow!
    ...And if they turn around and sue, with bigger eventual payouts over there ...Murdoch will lose a fortune!

I was thinking to myself British politicans will do nothing with Murdoch except a few empty soundbytes.
    He still controls three papers and Sky News, valuable to any politican. And has backed both the Conservatives and Labour in the past. His support is negotiable.

But hacking into 9/11 victims phones, the Americans will be out for blood. :eek:
    Some up and coming politican will just love to make their name out of this and set up grandstanding hearings to humiliate Murdoch.
    I think that's where his main troubles will be, not on this side of the Atlantic

• Advertisement
Advertisement