Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another dead cert log...

Options
  • 07-07-2011 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Since I find it hard to keep a log atm :rolleyes: should be easier to do just these.

Of course there's no such thing as a dead cert you can bet on, these will be my max bets. The selections will be what I see as dead cert value as opposed to definite winners.

Best example would be Germany V England last summer, I thought the Germans had ~40-45% chance so certainly weren't dead certs but there was no possible way I could comprehend them not being value at over 21/10!

Will start with a 100pt bank with large staking (% wise) which is risky but will be focusing on a high strike rate and minimum variance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Dailynaps

Selection #1.
    Tour de France Andy Schleck

Thought he should have been favourite from the beginning but now with 1.5 minutes in hand over Contador, I think there's no way he shouldn't be FAV.

Schleck is just 26 and has been developing into a great rider for the last number of years. He's finished second to Alberto Contador in Le Tour the last twice and won the young riders' classification for three years running. Last year he was just an unlucky 39 seconds behind Contador - An advantage Contador had (unfairly) gained when Schleck's chain slipped on a mountain climb.

Contador is at a big disadvantage imo this year having had a tough race in the Giro d'Italia recently - a race he contested only because he was unsure whether he'd be allowed on the Tour de France. I think Contador will find it very difficult to close the gap on the fresher Schleck in the mountains next week and with Schleck's improved time trialing he has to be favourite this year.

5pts Schleck Outright @ 3.35 Betfair (Returns 16.17)
    15pts Top 3 finish @ 1.37 Betfair (Returns 20.28)

Selection #2.
    York 3.05 Twice Over

A ridiculous price for the undisputed best horse in the race. Had to try something special lto against So You Think but ran too freely and paid for his efforts in the final few furlongs. Dominant would have to improve hugely to get near Twice Over, and while that is possible, the prices are far too close.

5pts each way 9/4 Powers or Boyles

Dailynaps wrote: »
    York 3.05 Twice Over
    A ridiculous price for the undisputed best horse in the race. .............. 9/4 Powers or Boyles

Apologies if my post is uncalled for or unwelcome :)
    But your selection does indeed look to be ridiculously priced at 9/4 in that race, trip and ground to suit, he looks almost without a decent rival.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Apologies if my post is uncalled for or unwelcome :)
    But your selection does indeed look to be ridiculously priced at 9/4 in that race, trip and ground to suit, he looks almost without a decent rival.
    Not unwelcome in the slightest! Are you having a punt on him?

Certainly looks a class above his rivals here, being the only proven Group 1 horse in the line-up. Dominant won impressively at Newmarket but imagine what Twice Over could do against that type of rival.

I will indeed be backing him, twill be in my log tomorrow, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great job, Dailynaps... :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Great job, Dailynaps... :)

Top tip indeed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Top tip indeed :cool:
    Exactly, thanks for that been a good day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WeirdKen

Thanks from me too:D

A new thread to follow...

Thanks lads, absolute gentlemen! :D Twice Over won easily enough, can't believe he actually drifted to 5/2 and went off second favourite! Onwards and upwards to Goodwood next week! :)

Very sad to see Rewilding fatally injured yesterday, RIP to a great horse!

• Advertisement

Selection #3.
    Goodwood 2.15 Chain Lightning 8/1 Coral

Can see this one going off at half the price tomorrow, has rock solid form and has been improving with every run. Thought he would have won the Brittania at Ascot but for a bad draw but still looked impressive finishing 8th having to race in no man's land in the center of the course. Enjoys an extra 2lb cushion on Sagramor here and I'd be surprised if he didn't turn the tables. Oceanway may be the biggest danger (value-wise), having beaten the selection lto but with a another 2lb swing Chain Lightning is the selection. Will have a saver on Oceanway.

5pts each way 8/1 Coral

2pts each way Oceanway 11/1 Boyles

Dailynaps wrote: »

5pts each way 8/1 Coral

2pts each way Oceanway 11/1 Boyles
    14pts returns 15pts :pac:

Selection #4
    3.45 Goodwood Shankardeh

Won first two in France and improved to finish 3rd in a Group 2. More improvement likely and looks sure to stay the trip. Classic case of French raider not being given enough credit.

5pts each way Shankardeh 6/1 Bet365

Some value away from the big two festivals today.
    Selection #5
    9.15 Musselburgh Last Destination

Breathing operation did the trick and landed a handicap at Beverley recently off 58, a 6lb penalty is offset by a decent 7lb claimer in this weaker contest. If this once rated 78 gelding can repeat that performace of 11 days ago he'll be very hard to beat.

5pts win 5/2 Totesport or Ladbrokes

Why not to follow trends (blindly anyway)...
    Totesport Mile: "Only two 3-year-old winners in last ten years."
    But a little research shows that was 2 winners from just 18 runners, that's 1/9 in a 20 runner race. Also there have been three runner-ups in the time and 8 out of the 18 placed! :eek:

Selection #6
    3.10 Goodwood Cai Shen

3-year-olds get a massive 8lbs allowance here and have an excellent record in the race ;) Cai Shen ran a superb race when 2nd in the Brittania, held up in the unfavoured centre and made impressive headway and just failed to get up to Sagramor. He went up 4lbs for that run but the 3yo allowance offsets that and he's 2lbs better off with Sagramor (both get allowance) here. Latest run can be ignored completely as he had to make his own running in a messy 5 runner event. Big rub expected.

5pts each way 14/1 generally everywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Won at 9-4 , GOOD ONE

I had a tenner in my PP account at the start of the week.
    I have 70 there now, thanks to this thread.

Keep it up. :)

Selection #7
    2.05 Goodwood Joseph Henry

Has such an amazing record in this race; second in 2007, third in 2008 and won this last year. He's 7lb higher here and is a 9-year-old but showed he's in good heart winning his comeback run this season and is at least a couple of lbs better over this course and distance so should go well.

2.5pts each way 25/1 Bet365 (5 places)

Selection #8
    3.45 Goodwood Evens and Odds

Another horse who seems at least a couple of lbs better at this course. Was second in this race in 2009 and came back to win it last year. A rise of 4lbs isn't very harsh and the talented Matthew Lawson can claim 7lb from his back. Put in a good performance in the Wokingham at Ascot when 11th overall but was 4th on his stands side group. Latest run can be ignored as was bumped at the start and lost ground.

2.5pts each way 25/1 Bet365 (5 places)

Had both these last year (:D) but missed out on the double (weren't on the same day) so won't make the same mistake this year. Good place potential double.

2.5pts each way double Bet365 675/1 :eek:

Well done... 4th for Joseph Henry. The top 3 were all pretty long too....

Mr E wrote: »
    Well done... 4th for Joseph Henry. The top 3 were all pretty long too....
    Thanks E, didn't see the race but think he won on his side, don't know if it would have made a difference but good performance again.

5pts Schleck Outright @ 3.35 -5
    15pts Top 3 finish @ 1.37 +5.28
    5pts each way Twice Over 9/4 +14.06
    5pts each way Chain Lightning 8/1 +5
    2pts each way Oceanway 11/1 -4
    5pts each way Shankardeh 6/1 +2.5
    5pts win Last Destination 5/2 +12.5
    5pts each way Cai Shen 14/1 -10
    2.5pts each way Joseph Henry 25/1 +13.13
    2.5pts each way Evens and Odds 25/1 -5
    2.5pts each way double 675/1 -5

Profit 23.47 ~ ROI 28%

• Advertisement

Selection #9
    Limerick +9pts to beat Kerry

A massive handicap to overcome in an All-Ireland Quarter Final. Although Kerry ran out 11 point winners in this fixture in June, they were 12 points up after 25 minutes and coasted from there. But I see more of a repeat of last year's Munster Final where Kerry just saw off a good Limerick fight to win by three.

Limerick have grown in the qualifiers, beating Offaly and Waterford before staging a brilliant fight-back against Wexford. Though Tommy Lee is out, Stephen Lucey and Mark O'Riordan return from the hurlers.

Coming through the qualifiers is a huge advantage for Limerick, having played the last three weekends running. Kerry haven't played in four weeks and may have difficulty getting back up to championship pace. Tomas O Se and Paul Galvin are available again but will hardly be at peak fitness immediately. I don't see Kerry coming out all guns blazing looking for a 10+ point win but rather swagger about and get their 4-5 point victory, something they do very well.

5pts +9 evens Bet365 or Lads

Selection #10
    5.45 Chester Embsay Crag

Hasn't won in two years but has run quite consistently to the 80 mark and has numerous placed efforts. Has been really well backed in the last few months, notably 28s into 9s two outings ago (when he unseated rider) showing he is probably showing a bit at home.

Missed the kick lto and had little chance from there but has been dropped to 77 here which looks rather generous. Definitely isn't the least likeliest winner here, as the betting suggests.

5pts each way 20/1 Skybet (1/4 1,2,3), 1/5 odds Hills

Selection #11
    3.05 Newbury Brown Panther

Hammered Census by 6 lengths at Royal Ascot, can be excused last run as had to make the running on bottomless ground and only finished 4 lengths off anyway. The big 3yo allowance should see him past Meeznah and Times Up.
    5pts each way 9/2 Boyles Bet365

Clooooose!!!

Brown Panther 2nd. :)

Selection #12
    4.00 Pontefract Baptist

5th in a Group 3 last October and showed he's returning to form with a fine third in a competitive handicap at Newmarket last month. A repeat of that performance probably good enough to win this and I expect further improvement.

10pts win 2/1 everywhere

Edit: 9/4 gone too quick but 2/1 still too big.

Selection #13
    2.30 York Fort Bastion

His second to Maybe in the Chesham is probably the best form in the race, didn't get the run of the race lto in a Group 2 at Newmarket when the frontrunners never came back but stayed on really strongly at the end to finish a never nearer fifth. I'd definitely have him half this price or less.

10pts each way 10/1 Totesport or Bet365

Superb call... 2nd place.
    Got it at 9s. :)

Selection #14
    3.40 York Requinto

Requinto recorded a blistering time when winning the Group 3 Molecomb Stakes last month, just outside the 2yo course record at Goodwood. In comparison, Masamah (5yo) carried the same weight over the same course and distance two days later and was just 1 second quicker. However, Requinto will be getting a massive 24lbs from that rival today and really should be much shorter. Requinto is unbeaten on all 3 starts at 5 furlongs and will have learned alot from that lightning quick early pace at Goodwood and can expect similar today. Getting almost 2 stone from older horses, a repeat of that Molecomb win could be enough here.

10pts each way 7/1 Ladbrokes or Bet365 (Both 4 places)

Selection #15
    3.05 York Tazahum

I'm willing to forgive his last 2 runs as 10 furlongs on soft ground was too far and 8 furlongs on firm ground was too quick. Today's conditions should be ideal with just under 9 furlongs on Good to Soft. His fourth in a listed event at Goodwood lto doesn't look extraordinary at first glance but he was held up in a race where the first three home led from the start and he made eyecatching late headway to finish never nearer to that trio at a trip that was clearly too short. Neebras won that day but Tazahum already has form beating him cosily in the listed Heron Stakes. Neebras went on to frank that form finishing just 2.5 lengths behind Frankel and a head behind Excelebration in the St James' Palace. I'd have Tazahum as 5/1 FAV here.

10pts each way 10/1 Ladbrokes or Bet365

• Advertisement

Ah another second with Tazahum.

Selection #16
    2.00 York Dafeef

Willie Haggas is having a wonderful week at York with two winners already on the board. You must take notice when he enters one in a top class race and especially so with a 4-year-old who is after a break. In 2010, Haggas had four 4-year-olds who returned from a break to run in a Listed event. 3 of those 4 won! Green Destiny again proved it this year improving from his 3yo season. Dafeef returns tomorrow after 340 days off the track. He showed some good form last season against his elders, finishing just 1 length behind Doncaster Rover and .5 length behind Brave Prospector. With more improvement to come as a 4yo, this listed event should be well within grasp.

2.5pt each way 8/1 Ladbrokes

Advertisement