Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest rate hikes & letter of offer

Options
  • 07-07-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Currently have gone sale agreed on a property and as of 4 o'Clock today the letter of offer has been posted out to our solicitor from the bank. I am wondering with the interest rate hike today by the ECB will this affect us as presumably the bank will follow the hike with an announcement tomorrow of a rate increase. We had intended on going 4 or 5 year fixed but have not signed anything with the bank yet.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Until the loan cheque issues, you will be affected by any rate increases. Unfortunately for you a letter of offer doesnt count.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

Question answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BillieB

You can draw down your loan early that way interest rate hikes wont affect u!! Thats what I did last week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

I was thinking about that but then you are paying a mortgage for a house that you still do not own. I would be worried that the sellers could pull out at the last minute. We are currently waiting on their contracts.which should arrive before end of July and hopefully have the keys by end of August. It's a bit nerve wrecking as mortgage from Aib and surely they will raise rates very soon. Any other way around this?

Advertisement