Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pierced Ear?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum :)

Any way i work for a large shop, groceries, clothes, the lot... anyway the problem is i am told i cannot wear a stud in my ear (i'm male) and i mean a small black stub, yet all female staff are allowed to wear almost any kind of earring, is this right, the employment "handbook" or guidelines stat that it's keep piercings to a minimum, that's it... has anyone got a link that could show me the law about this kind of thing, i gave a quick google but came up empty, trying again now...

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I worked in Dunnes. Men had to have their hair short but not shaved, no facial hair, no jewellery and to wear deodorant. One of the guys who came in with an eyebrow piercing was told to remove it. Not really much space to be an "individual"

I think it's section 4 paragraph 8 of common sense employment law "what the employer says, goes"

Can be complemented by some of these other proverbs: "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down" and "you're lucky to have a job"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think males wearing facial piercings falls under the category of health and safety.

In my last job, female could only wear small stud earrings and nothing dangly or loopy due to the nature of lifting goods and catching them in things. No other facial piercings permitted either. There was also an addition about body piercings (like those neck studs) that they were also forbidden due to H&S.

Males were outlawed from wearing facial jewellery entirely, but again due to the nature of the work (lifting bulky goods, sometimes from a height) it was more to do with H&S.

The dress code also incorporated a footwear code for the same reason. No backless, open toed or excessively high shoes were allowed to be worn by either male or females!

Advertisement