Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone insurance - anyone heard of GadgetInsurance.ie?

• 07-07-2011 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Both myself and Mrs. ToadVine have iPhone 4's with 3Ireland. We both have the standard phonesure insurance package at €9/month each. This comes to €216/year for the two of us.

I just heard about GadgetInsurance.ie ... they are giving a similar level of insurance for €79/year (and up to 3 other gadgets can also be insured for this ... 5 gadgets in all). I've read through both insurance t&c's and they look similar to me. However, I'm not an expert in this area and may be missing something.

So, am I missing something? And has anyone experience of GadgetInsurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Had never heard of them

Who is the policy arranged and underwritten by?

This insurance is arranged by GadgetInsurance.ie which is trading name of Blue Insurances Ltd, regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. The insurance is underwritten by Chartis Insurance UK Limited who are regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Had major problems myself with Travel Insurance from Blue Insurances a while back,I wouldnt give them a penny again.

Then again,Ive yet to meet/hear of 'sound' insurance companies.

OP,its all about the T&C's!
    Check them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Water damage not covered ... bit of a drawback?

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Water damage not covered ... bit of a drawback?

Im not sure its covered with fonesure either,the insurance that the OP has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

barryd09 wrote: »
    Im not sure its covered with fonesure either,the insurance that the OP has.

Fonesure covers liquid damage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Fonesure covers liquid damage

http://www.fonesure.com/terms_fonsure_plus.html
    Exclusions
    The Insurer shall not be liable for

15. breakdown caused by objects or substances not normally associated with the product such as sand or water

is that for all policies etc? very confusinginfo out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

http://www.fonesure.com/fonesure/fonesure_monthly.html

If you look at the pilicies there it says it covers liquid damage. Last time I checked water was a liquid :D. Bloody insurance companys. You are better of sticking with what is in the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Gadget only insure 5 gadgets up to €500 for €79 2 iPhone at €5-€600 a piece iPad 350 etc

Even though i have fonesure myself,i wouldnt think for a second that they'd pay out on water damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

barryd09 wrote: »
    Even though i have fonesure myself,i wouldnt think for a second that they'd pay out on water damage.

youd be wrong. im with fonesure through 3 and ive had a succesful claim for a waterdamaged iphone 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

TSB have a similar policy that includes 3 gadgets, travel insurance and an other few things for 10€ per month , with no contract -I cancelled my standard iPhone of 9€per month and saved on my travel as well -also got my kindle and mp3player covered - good value in my books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Look very closely at GadgetInsurance's t&cs as what they do and don't cover isn't too clear. Their definition of what 'lost' is might be different to to what you and I consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

TSB have a similar policy that includes 3 gadgets, travel insurance and an other few things for 10€ per month , with no contract -I cancelled my standard iPhone of 9€per month and saved on my travel as well -also got my kindle and mp3player covered - good value in my books

Gadget Insurance
    Sorry. Our Lloyds TSB Gadget Insurance is no longer available to new customers.
    Existing Customers; there's no need to worry, your cover will remain in place for as long as you continue to pay your monthly premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

GadgetInsurance.ie: They don't cover:
    Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage of an unattended covered product:

(b) From or in any other property, place or premises unless the Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage is accompanied by forcible entry or exit, or where the Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage results from the acts of a person who has entered the property, place or premises unlawfully;

(a) From or in a motor vehicle unless locked in a glove box or out of sight in a boot/luggage area;

(c) From any public place or place to which the public has access at the time of the incident.

Water ingress of any kind.

Misplacing or losing a covered product(s) for any reason,
    other than Theft.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but that seems a pretty rubbish policy for €79 per year. From the looks of that, you'd be better off just putting it on your house insurance. Whats the point of any insurance policy if you have those ridiculous conditions in place, especially for the likes of gadgets. If I was going to fork out €79, it would have to be blanket coverage. I'd happily pay a larger excess, but it would have to cover me no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ToadVine wrote: »
    Both myself and Mrs. ToadVine have iPhone 4's with 3Ireland. We both have the standard phonesure insurance package at €9/month each. This comes to €216/year for the two of us.

In my opinion you are mad to be paying insurance on two phones, surely you can afford to replace one of them? You are forking out good cash and getting bad value for money, you'd be much better off taking the risk yourselves.

Put that money in a separate bank or credit union a/c and you'll find that in no time you have the price of a new iPhone and then you can stop saving.

Almost all of the money you are currently paying is going down the tubes in admin. and profit for the insurance company and a very sizeable chunk of it is being pocketed by 3Ireland as sales commission, hardly any of it is actually covering the risk so it's really sh1te value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaryHurley2213

I'd insured an expensive laptop with Gadget Insurance, and un-fortunately it suffered damage. I applied for a claim and everything was easy sailing until everything came crashing down. First of all I had to pay the excess straight away, which should only in reality be paid when repairs are arranged, I had to pay to get an estimate done because Gadget Insurance refused to compensate for it, I told them the results of the estimate and now they are refusing to fix my laptop, claiming it as too expensive, when I had clearly stated that the worth of the laptop.
    They are delaying my claim for another 8 weeks, and refusing to refund me my money, so I have no laptop for the next 8 weeks and God knows how long after that.
    Also they say that they would repair the laptop with un-authorized, un-licenced parts, for all I know they could be stolen parts and fake and could destroy my laptop.

The customer service team is awful and un-co-operative, they provide false information which requires you to keep calling back, which therefore wastes money as you are charged per minute not per call (and it is charged quite heavily)
    I started my claim about a month ago and have had absolutely NO news since then.

I definently would'nt recommend this insurance, they are aiming to lure money out of their customers and are very hesitant to do what they are supposed to do and that is repair my gadget.

I have experienced a lot of stress from this and anxiety.

When I buy insurance I want to have the security of knowing that my laptop is always safe, should anything happen to it, however with this insurance I have experienced none of that and WILL DEFINENTLY NOT BE RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANYONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'd insured an expensive laptop with Gadget Insurance, and un-fortunately it suffered damage. I applied for a claim and everything was easy sailing until everything came crashing down. First of all I had to pay the excess straight away, which should only in reality be paid when repairs are arranged, I had to pay to get an estimate done because Gadget Insurance refused to compensate for it, I told them the results of the estimate and now they are refusing to fix my laptop, claiming it as too expensive, when I had clearly stated that the worth of the laptop.
    They are delaying my claim for another 8 weeks, and refusing to refund me my money, so I have no laptop for the next 8 weeks and God knows how long after that.
    Also they say that they would repair the laptop with un-authorized, un-licenced parts, for all I know they could be stolen parts and fake and could destroy my laptop.

The customer service team is awful and un-co-operative, they provide false information which requires you to keep calling back, which therefore wastes money as you are charged per minute not per call (and it is charged quite heavily)
    I started my claim about a month ago and have had absolutely NO news since then.

I definently would'nt recommend this insurance, they are aiming to lure money out of their customers and are very hesitant to do what they are supposed to do and that is repair my gadget.

I have experienced a lot of stress from this and anxiety.

When I buy insurance I want to have the security of knowing that my laptop is always safe, should anything happen to it, however with this insurance I have experienced none of that and WILL DEFINENTLY NOT BE RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANYONE.

Nice to sign up on a site and update a 3 year old thread just to b@tch about a company.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Russes22

I had a policy with them for over a year. My iPhone was stolen in june 2015 and its now august 2015 and they still haven't resolved my claim. I waited 3 weeks for them to replace my phone. When I got the replacement it was faulty and I had to send it back to them. Two weeks later I they sent it back to me and it was still faulty as they did not repair it since it passed their tests on it. So it was still faulty, the battery would last no longer than 2 hours! I had to send it back again and two weeks later im still waiting. I haven't heard anything about what is happening with my claim other than its being repaired and when thats done it will be sent back to me again. There a disgrace, I would never recommend them to anoyone. I would never give them a penny again. There cheap cause they give out faulty phones and take over a month to do it while still taking your monthly subscription even though you dont have a phone under that policy anymore. I would avoid this company at all costs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

coylemj wrote: »
    In my opinion you are mad to be paying insurance on two phones, surely you can afford to replace one of them? You are forking out good cash and getting bad value for money, you'd be much better off taking the risk yourselves.

Put that money in a separate bank or credit union a/c and you'll find that in no time you have the price of a new iPhone and then you can stop saving.

Almost all of the money you are currently paying is going down the tubes in admin. and profit for the insurance company and a very sizeable chunk of it is being pocketed by 3Ireland as sales commission, hardly any of it is actually covering the risk so it's really sh1te value for money.

Certainly for a 4s it's madness. The idea of a separate account is the best idea in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SeanFitzFitz

Absolute and utter scam, avoid them like the ****ing Plague!!!!!

.....although at least the plague would kill you within a reasonable time frame as promised!!!!

Been trying to deal with them for over a month for a phone claim that was ACCEPTED 6 weeks ago....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Absolute and utter scam, avoid them like the ****ing Plague!!!!!

.....although at least the plague would kill you within a reasonable time frame as promised!!!!

Been trying to deal with them for over a month for a phone claim that was ACCEPTED 6 weeks ago....

Dropped my iPhone 6 Plus there a few months back. Rang them up, opened a claim, and within 10 days I had a new phone.
    Guess some people have good experiences while others have bad.
    The same can be said for most companies however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SeanFitzFitz

Dropped my iPhone 6 Plus there a few months back. Rang them up, opened a claim, and within 10 days I had a new phone.
    Guess some people have good experiences while others have bad.
    The same can be said for most companies however.

I'm still chasing them for a phone so it is good to see somebody has had a good experience with them. Means there is hope yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

naasrd wrote: »
    Certainly for a 4s it's madness. The idea of a separate account is the best idea in the long run.

Do you realise the 4s was the flagship when this thread was created?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

guil wrote: »
    Do you realise the 4s was the flagship when this thread was created?

You're point being...? Oh sorry, it's guil, the man with answers to questions nobody asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

My point being that a lot of people insure a new iPhone. Don't be whining because you were too thick and replied to a post after 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Tone it down lads. Thanks.

Advertisement