Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus electronic timetables

Options
  • 07-07-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

A huge bunch of these sprung up across the city a couple of months ago - but now all work seems to have stopped. In my town centre there are 6 poles designed for the system, but they have seemingly been abandoned.

Does anyone know what the story is? The system (where it exists) is absolutely great and necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Not sure what's happening with the system roll out, but there's an app you can get that gives you the timetable info. It's called next bus or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

System is in a testing period so not all stops are operational yet.

http://rtpi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

[Plug]
    http://DublinBusLive.com works on iPhone, Android, Chrome and Safari for displaying next times from any enabled stop (more coming online each day)
    [/Plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

www.transportforireland.ie

They are being rolled out on a phased basis - it will take until the end of the year for them all to be fully operational.

Some of the poles may need the ESB to connect them up.

Patience is what's required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

i didnt find it accurate at all. it would usually say 'such and such a bus' 10 mins. then it arrives with 9 mins still left to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

few cans? wrote: »
    i didnt find it accurate at all. it would usually say 'such and such a bus' 10 mins. then it arrives with 9 mins still left to go

Welcome to the TESTING period :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

few cans? wrote: »

Really? What stops did you use? I've only used a few but, with rhe exception of some buses not being listed, it's usually pretty accurate.
    The route 90 bus is not appearing on the 2 RTPI signs it stops at because the route 90 services are operated by extra buses which are only allocated on the day.

This seems very odd and doesn't make much sense. Why does it matter when the buses are allocated, surely if the drivers sign onto the ticket machine as route 90, it should appear on the RTPI system?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

markpb wrote: »
    This seems very odd and doesn't make much sense. Why does it matter when the buses are allocated, surely if the drivers sign onto the ticket machine as route 90, it should appear on the RTPI system?

crap software is crap.

It should as you say simply be a case of logging into the machine and setting the route, which is then transmitted to base and appears on the system...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayday1234

Thanks for the link it was useful. Do you know where I can get any info on Authorization to erect new bus stops outside private dwellings ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I heard the gaelgors (spelling?) kicked up a fuss that there was no Irish on the sign and they had to reconsider the signage to include Irish, any truth to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

http://www.transportforireland.ie/faq
    Bilingual Signs?
    When the National Transport Authority assumed the management of the Real Time Bus Passenger Information programme from the Department of Transport, it was considered whether the signs should be bilingual.

The main objective was that the signs should be legible for all users, including motorists, in order to encourage modal shift from car to bus. The Authority was concerned that the legibility could be compromised if the variable message on the sign alternated between Irish and English in addition to information changing as buses approached the stops.

However bilingual functionality was included as part of the RTPI software contract in order to serve the website. This allowed the Authority and Dublin City Council to trial a bilingual sign. The trial demonstrated that legibility and effectiveness are not overly compromised by including standard information in 2 languages. The National Transport Authority is, therefore, comfortable that these bilingual traffic signs can accord with the Traffic Signs Manual.

The Authority is working with Dublin City Council and the bus operators to prepare al bus stop database in Irish which can be displayed within the 19 characters available on the signs. When this work is complete it will allow us to implement the change to bilingual on street signs in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fieldog wrote: »
    I heard the gaelgors (spelling?) kicked up a fuss that there was no Irish on the sign and they had to reconsider the signage to include Irish, any truth to that?

entirely true, the guy is a poster on this site and brags about the hassle he causes. Can't remember the name of the guy but there was a big thread on the DCC tourist signs being ever so slightly wrong and he campaigned to get them all redone at huge cost. He's not even based in Dublin, but down in Clare...

Advertisement