Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat Practice Paper 2 Question 108?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anyone know how to approach this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

post it, i don't have the booklets any more, we can delete after we solve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

reflex answer, option A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

well I certainly haven't a clue

(so I'd pick C :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Well there is no info given about machine frequencies or televisions, so you can rule C and D out immediately. A says that frequencies above 4500 are not heard by humans which is a contradiction of the info in the passage (to 5000).

B is true and contains info given to you in the passage.

Edit: Man I wish I was preparing for the GAMSAT again... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Ok we have answers to two different questions now. It's seriously disturbing how quickly you forget this stuff.

In answer to the question relating to efffusion of gases, I think it's a simple case of plugging in the numbers once you have the correct answer to the previous question.

Graham's law would have the rate of effusion in relation to density as answer D, but I think you have to switch the answer upside down because it states that it is inversely proportional for time.

I distinctly remember getting 107 wrong and the subsequent question wrong as a result.

Once you have the right answer for 107 plugging the figures in you get

250/100=The square of x/The square of 40 which gives an answer of 250.

If I'm completely wrong I hang my head in shame and give back my 75 in section 3. I'm definitely gonna be wrong, and boy do I not miss this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

I havnt a fcuking clue! how I got by the GAMSAT I'll never know. I hope that doesnt come up in med school :o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Anyone know how to approach this one?

I can't even bring myself to click on the link :o

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

the question is the very last unit in practice paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

We are expected to recall the main equation for Graham's law for this question which is

R1/R2 = SQR M2/ SQR M1

SQR= square root of

so you work out the rate of effusion (R1) for argon which is 1/100 and for the unknown gas which is 1/250 (R2). M is the molecular/atomic/molar mass based on what is given. in this case atomic mass and molar mass of argon are the same as 40. You then just put the numbers into the equation to solve for M2 to give 250 as the molar mass of the unknown gas.

This seems to work but I certainly didn't get it immediately and had to ask someone else's help who then came up with this. It does require knowing Graham's law off memory so bit naughty on GAMSAT's behalf :-(

However, can we also get to this equation by combining the two equations given in the question?? I'm not sure about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement