Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Default Bathroom refurb including painting the bath

• 07-07-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

We are going to do up our bathroom a bit. The only prob we have is that it has an avocado suite. When we moved into the house over 10 years ago that suite was in and we just put tiling up etc and the room otherwise looks fine. Budget is a big problem, so what we are thinking of doing is replacing the pedestal sink and toilet for new white set and are strongly thinking of painting the bath(this has not been used once for a bath since we moved in)and rarely for a shower even as we have on suite etc so is in very good nick.

Have researched and it seems possible. My question is what material is my bath likely to be made of. it feels like strong plastic but is it likely to be acrylic or are they the same type of material. If so does anyone have opinions on this and what paint to use or even experience of doing similar thing in their own bathrooms.

I have put up links of companies that seem to do it or supply materials for same. thanks

http://www.tubbyireland.com
    http://www.renubath.co.uk/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

I personally would not trust painting a plastic bath and think replacing it is the only way to go. If money is tight you could possibly get a free bath from one of those recycling sites like Jumbletown.ie - have seen plenty of baths on here.

Also try googling the companies that you have listed above and see if there are any reviews from people who have used them. Here is one about renubath http://www.xomreviews.com/renubath.co.uk, not very favourable I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Forget about painting the bath and if you take the suite out carefully you will see the parts. There is still a couple of people around with these suites and the basins or cisten lids are cracked.

Bear in mind they are pensioners prob so they will not pay stupid prices but my guess is if you store it in a garage for 6 months you will pick up a sale from a free adds paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Not really thinking of painting the bath to save money particularly, its to avoid the hassle of stripping loads of tiles off the wall etc.

The bathroom is not that bad-we are probably only considering changing it because the populist opinions say that white is preferable to avocado!

At the end of the day getting the bathroom done up won't give us any added functional value anway!

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If your happy with the suite why not just keep it. These plastic bath can be restored to excellent beauty with T CUT

Advertisement