Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torque Wrench

• 07-07-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

If I'm to get a torque wrench what would be the most affordable one to get (preferably under the €50 mark) that would cover me for tightening all bolts for a bike build?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Cyclo tools 2-20 Nm, cant remember but I think it was around 60. Im happy with it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Also in the market for one of these for a bike build

I was in cyclesuperstore last w/e and I think they recommended this
    http://www.bbbparts.com/tools_btl52.php for €69.

Is this the same thing only more expensive - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37251

Presume the 1/4" refers to the socket on the wrench that the allen key small piece fits onto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You need up to 45nM for the crank arms.

Lidl did them awhile back for e20, I find them great, even went far enough to torque the crank nut that preloads the Flywheel onto the crank on my car.

1/2" and 1/4" refers to the drive, 1/4" is sufficient for bikes, wouldnt be sufficient for anything over 60 or 70 Nm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I got a BBB Torqueset recently and it does the job. It's probably a bit over your budget, but I think it's worth getting as good a torque wrench as you can afford. You don't want to make any mistakes with expensive carbon components. Use the torque wrench for checking torque on your bolts only, and don't use it for general socket wrench work. Also you must remember to zero the wrench after each use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

check_six wrote: »
    I got a BBB Torqueset recently and it does the job.

Was it the BTL52 I linked to above - around €70ish?

• Advertisement

bikenut wrote: »

:eek: you would prob get snap on for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

kona wrote: »
    :eek: you would prob get snap on for that.

I doubt that!!

I doubt that!!

Maybe second hand :p but if I was prepared to spend that much I wouldn't be buying a BBB one!

ouch and its just the body!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=8740&group_ID=972&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Although Ive a set of snap on sockets and spanners I got on the cheap secondhand, they are great, much better than other "pro" tools Ive used. You defo get what you pay for, they will last you longer than your working life id reckon, so a good investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

chakattack probably still has one out in Whitehall too for €20. Between did dat and udder I haven't managed to pick it up yet.
    Maybe one of these days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Simple, beam style for €62.61
    The one I have, comes without bits, so factor those in: €46.37
    Complete with bits and all you need really, €56.39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

bikenut wrote: »

This is the one I got:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60766

BBB Torquefix BTL73.

For adjusting saddle posts, headsets, etc. it does the job, although kona does point out that you need a bigger torque wrench for the cranks (he mentions 45NM, the BBB device only goes up to 20NM). This torque wrench business is kind of expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Actually, that's the one I have I think, rather than the one I claimed to have in my last post.... tis a grand little yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think you will probably need 2 torque wrenches if you want to cover the complete range of "torque values" on your bike! The screws on my mtb grips are rated at 2Nm and the cranks at 45Nm - I don't think one torque wrench will cover this range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Where did you get your bits Tiny? I bought a torque wrench body a while back and bought the bits in TKMaxx. They didn't fit though :(

Lemag wrote: »
    Where did you get your bits Tiny? I bought a torque wrench body a while back and bought the bits in TKMaxx. They didn't fit though :(

From CRC -ordered em at the same time as the wrench (4/11/09 according to my email!)

RPL1 wrote: »
    I think you will probably need 2 torque wrenches if you want to cover the complete range of "torque values" on your bike! The screws on my mtb grips are rated at 2Nm and the cranks at 45Nm - I don't think one torque wrench will cover this range?

Most workshops will have two wrenchs, a small one and a big one. TBH Id just buy the big one, for the home mechanic theres no need to get down to torquing up grips, obviously if you have no feel for mechanics and overtighten everything then it may be a good idea, but generally you will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

check_six wrote: »
    For adjusting saddle posts, headsets, etc. it does the job, although kona does point out that you need a bigger torque wrench for the cranks (he mentions 45NM, the BBB device only goes up to 20NM). This torque wrench business is kind of expensive!

TBH, I wouldn't bother with the bigger wrench. You need to not exceed the relatively low torque values for carbon components but with things like cranks you'll get away with just doing them up tight*.

*Unless of course there is bearing preload sort of stuff to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

kona wrote: »
    TBH Id just buy the big one
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    TBH, I wouldn't bother with the bigger wrench.

Heh. Anti-snap...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Heh. Anti-snap...

Well, If Id a carbon machine, I can see where you wouldnt wanna **** up. TBH, the way high end bikes are going, they dont need much torque. In some peoples toolbox, I can see where the smaller wrench would be more useful.

My toolbox only has the bigger wrench, :p , but then again its not only bikes I do be using it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

From CRC -ordered em at the same time as the wrench (4/11/09 according to my email!)
    Thanks Tiny. I'm still busy picking a bone with that crowd though ;)

Lemag wrote: »
    Thanks Tiny. I'm still busy picking a bone with that crowd though ;)

I know, I was just linking to what I'd purchased - the other usual suspects may have the same though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

That looks exactly the same as the BBB one I bought from the CSS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

RPL1 wrote: »
    That looks exactly the same as the BBB one I bought from the CSS!

how much was yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

15 euro shipping though

got the x-tools one from crc myself, seems to work fine

how much was yours?

I think €50 but it's a couple of years ago!

Advertisement