Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website Marketing

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

We are currently updating our website that will include an online shop. Apart from the obvious twitter, facebook, google ads way to promote the new site, are there any other ways/ideas of getting the site out there?

All ideas will be gratefully received.

Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

Posting in industry forums that allow you to link to your site from your signature is a good way, you might also consider starting an affiliate/referral program for your existing clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Andersy

Twitter and Facebook are not marketing networks. Sharing a link at twitter and Facebook is not so much healthy now because both are now redirecting the links. No direct link can be accessed from there.

Google is ignoring twitter as well, and Google has removed the "Real Time" section from Google search results, that section was totally based on twitter updates.

Now, My advice to you is to hire a professional SEO Expert and spend some money at that SEO Expert for optimizing of your website. Nothing is better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

As always depends on your site and your market. Best to work from there.

If your market is geographically arranged around a particular area try some good old style marketing.

1. radio interviews
    2. leaflet drop
    3. direct mail
    4. Word of mouth

<Snip: business details removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Andersy wrote: »
    Twitter and Facebook are not marketing networks. Sharing a link at twitter and Facebook is not so much healthy now because both are now redirecting the links. No direct link can be accessed from there.
    Twitter and Facebook are platforms to be used as a user sees fit. If someone wishes to use them as a marketing channel, they can. If they choose to use them for customer service, they can. If they choose to use them for a bit of craic, they can. If they choose to use them for a mix of the above, they can.

The benefit or otherwise they will gain will be a measure of how they execute it, rather than a direct reflection on the strategy chosen. To say that it isn't a 'marketing channel' just because links are redirected is entirely incorrect and (of less importance compared to the direct referral traffic) is making huge assumptions on how those links are actually handled by the search engines.
    Google is ignoring twitter as well, and Google has removed the "Real Time" section from Google search results, that section was totally based on twitter updates.
    I'd love to see proof of this? It's a very definite comment on something which is too early in the process to have tested completely. I, various people I know and various other industry experts are all testing this theory, but I haven't seen a single piece of authoritative proof as of yet that this is the case.

The removal of the deal between Twitter and Google, leading to the removal of the firehose and ability to provide the real time results, has lead to a dramatic impact in the ability of tweeted links to provoke crawling of sites. This is a major SEO change relating to twitter. However to say that twitter is now 'ignored', including the links which can be picked up naturally and publicly even without the firehose, it's taking a step too far on something that is (for now) unproven.

Please don't state opinion or assumption as fact. If it is a 'fact' that you have some verifiable proof of, get your article out there on it as you'll be beating the entire industry to the punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

It's not 'ignoring' Twitter. They had a contract together where twitter results were shown on Google. It expired earlier this month. Nothing more sinister than that

• Advertisement

Those were nice days when we get a direct URL backlink from Facebook and Twitter, no mater they were no follow. But now both are providing indirect/redirected links.

Where as no one can say that Google has launched plus to beat Facebook. But if you emphasize at your question about twitter; Google has launched many services to beat others, for example, goo.gl, orkut, e.t.c. Then we should expect from Google to launch a service to compete twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Now, My advice to you is to hire a professional SEO Expert and spend some money at that SEO Expert for optimizing of your website. Nothing is better than this.

Ignoring Twitter? In what way? Last I heard was http://www.kikabink.com/news/googles-matt-cutts-we-do-use-twitter-and-facebook-links-in-ranking/

Glad to see the real time results removed from Google's SERP, found it quite distracting and never helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Has anyone any ideas on cost for SEO? Roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Hi

You can get other people to link to your site. If you don't have links already, put links on your own site for organisations you belong to that relate to your industry. Then encourage those organisations to link to you. Likewise, if you partner with any organisations, link to their websites and have them link to you. Google reads the links and will reward you.

Also, don't know if this was said already, put your website, along with your Facebook pages etc, into your email signature. A sneaky way to get more visitors. If you send out any kind of newsletter, you could put a link to your website in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

moggie4000 wrote: »

Between say €50 - €60 per hour for someone who knows their stuff. You'll also find jokers in here offering their services for a fraction of that, they'll be the ones quoting Alexa - best avoided.

You could save a few quid by getting someone who knows their stuff to do a site audit for you, then find someone cheaper on elance or the likes to implement the recommendations in the audit.

• Advertisement

moggie4000 wrote: »

It costs according to the keywords difficulty level, age of the domain, nich level and many other factors. After getting and analyzing all the things, one seo analyst can tell you that how much it will cost.

The first step is to identify keywords, which can be done in one of two ways:

1. Prospective keywords identified using third party software
    2. Check Analytics or webmaster tools

After that its best to focus on just 1 or 2 keywords based on a judgment of profitability. For instance "car washing" may have a 5000 people per day potential, but "car cleaning" has actually been converting more visitors to your contact page etc. I can develop both of these stages and leave you with an action plan to either outsource or leave with me.

Note to admin: I am awaiting details on becoming an official representative, if you could chase this up it would be great. Thankyou

cormee wrote: »
    Ignoring Twitter? In what way? Last I heard was http://www.kikabink.com/news/googles-matt-cutts-we-do-use-twitter-and-facebook-links-in-ranking/

Glad to see the real time results removed from Google's SERP, found it quite distracting and never helpful.

The link you have shared is old one and this answer belongs to 2010. Twitter has started to redirecting the links in 2011, same as Facebook is redirecting them a month ago or more. But Facebook's redirecting is seems to be another type, whereas, twitter has 301 redirect which helps a bit.

The first step is to identify keywords, which can be done in one of two ways:

1. Prospective keywords identified using third party software
    2. Check Analytics or webmaster tools

After that its best to focus on just 1 or 2 keywords based on a judgment of profitability. For instance "car washing" may have a 5000 people per day potential, but "car cleaning" has actually been converting more visitors to your contact page etc. I can develop both of these stages and leave you with an action plan to either outsource or leave with me.

Note to admin: I am awaiting details on becoming an official representative, if you could chase this up it would be great. Thankyou

Will you like to explains some thing about the third party tools for keywords research?

And also explain a little more that, how "car cleaning" has more conversion ratio than "car washing" whereas "car washing" has more searches.

Will you like to explains some thing about the third party tools for keywords research?

1. I generally use 'market samurai' to research keywords, this is a paid for tool, however there are several good free tools like google keyword tool and yahoo site explorer or majseo.
    And also explain a little more that, how "car cleaning" has more conversion ratio than "car washing" whereas "car washing" has more searches.

2. It could be many reasons for instance it could be "car cleaning" represents people who have already made a definitive decision to buy a service where as other search terms represent people who are just researching. It could also just be your website is better suited to converting people for "car cleaning" than anything else. Either way the data has told you that you can make more money off of one search term than another. (note that this decision is based on the data for your own website, so obviously you need to be tracking your analytics to do this).

Hey market myself online, Thanx a lot.

I am happy that you share your ideas with me. I want a tool for checking the rank of my keywords. If you know any such free tool, then please inform me about that.

The easiest free tool to do that is google webmaster tools. Just google it. You can only use it on your own website as you need to verify your site by adding a bit of code called a meta tag.

if you want to check other peoples sites you can do it one keyword at a time with something like kpmrs.com i think its still running a free service.

Your question has only one answer that you should hire a good SEO Expert. That will know all the techniques. Only knowing about the techniques are not enough. The purpose is to monitor the keyword regularly and do link building according to the demand and Search Engine Behavior.

Hire someone if you have the budget (around Eur800 per month for 4 months). If not don't.

Thats why most small businesses could benefit from doing alot of the basics themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

maybe a refer a friend to give old customers diccounts and encouraging them to talk about your company

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 karablack037

Nowadays Social Media is the best platform for marketing your website. You can use Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Social bookmarking and Video sites. I have seen many popular brands and companies have accounts in social media for marketing their business and products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement