Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here living in Bristol/southwest england/Cardiff region?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

Just thought I might start a thread for those living in the Bristol/the West Country or just across the Severn in Cardiff/Newport area.

Sharing tips, hints on the best things to do or any advice to help those who have moved to this region. Places to meet people, places to eat out, Gaa clubs, where to find a good pint of Guinness:D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is it really necessary to create a new thread for tips and informormation specific to Southwest England? There is a whole forum dedicated to the United Kingdom.

If you want info on gaa clubs, and dont find it here, why dont you just type it into Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

syklops wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to create a new thread for tips and informormation specific to Southwest England? There is a whole forum dedicated to the United Kingdom.

If you want info on gaa clubs, and dont find it here, why dont you just type it into Google?

That's a bit harsh. I don't think it's a bad idea - it will give a 'boards.ie' flavour to what is posted/discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Just thought I might start a thread for those living in the Bristol/the West Country or just across the Severn in Cardiff/Newport area.

Sharing tips, hints on the best things to do or any advice to help those who have moved to this region. Places to meet people, places to eat out, Gaa clubs, where to find a good pint of Guinness:D.
    guinness ?you should be on scrumpy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OP, the UK forum might be a better source of info for you.

I am inclined to agree though - given the quality of exported stout over here you'd be better off sampling the local delicacies than holding out for Guinness...you might find it but it won't be worth drinking. Try a pint of Old Rosie and see how you get on. (Just the one to start with, though - it's strong stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

While we are at it why dont we get rid of all regional forums on boards such as the Dublin Forum or the Limerick Forum sure isnt boards.ie dedicated to the whole of Ireland sure if you want to find out something why don't you google it.:rolleyes:

At the end of the day their is no harm in this, if people out there in this region can help each other out giving advice, tips or whatever what harm is it doing. From looking at the living abroad forum it is pretty dead here simple as considering the number of Irish people living abroad.

I mentioned GAA clubs as an example doesnt mean thats what I am looking for.

Thanks to Fysh for suggesting the UK forum. Maybe a Mod here can move it to the UK forum if they feel its more appropriate.
    guinness ?you should be on scrumpy

Nah Thatchers or Natch if your on the cider.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Bristol has a nice vibe, studenty, and is good sized for a bit of variety. Its a very english city and you will probably meet a lot more actual british people there (scots, welsh, english) along with irish. At least that was my experience after living there. Its not at all like london manc or birmingham. Very bike and walking friendly. What i mean is, there are few a-holes driving porsches, the aggression and dog eat dog mentality just isnt there. Bristl and surrounds lie Bath are really excellent places and have fanatstic (three per day) conne tions to dublin.

The downside IMO was that its a long trip to heathrow if you need to travel a lot to longer distance destinations. Bristol airport is sort of like a suped up version of cork in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jconnon

hi,where is that forum on the uk.im looking to move to edinburgh.I think that would be the best place and have the most irish but i dont have a clue really.
    Does anyone know where theres a lot of irish apart from London. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jconnon wrote: »
    hi,where is that forum on the uk.im looking to move to edinburgh.I think that would be the best place and have the most irish but i dont have a clue really.

The UK Forum can be found here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=915

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

jconnon wrote: »
    most of the irish culture is in the cities of manchester and liverpool

Advertisement