Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labels on people with illness - problem or beneficial?

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I always hear people saying that labels are bad? Are they?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elled

Well i think it is important to have a diagnosis so it can be treated in the best possible way but this is more relevant if it is a physical illness than mental ill health.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No problem with being called a diabetic.

I hate that this forum has the word "illness" in the title though. :D

I am not ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

What about aspergers if you don't mind being different. Is a label ok then?

Do people think that labels are bad because it distinguishes you from other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I don't tell many people that I suffer with depression because I know it can make people feel awkward/uncomfortable.If I had diabetes or any other 'normal' illness I wouldn't have a problem telling anybody though.

I don't tell many people that I suffer with depression because I know it can make people feel awkward/uncomfortable.If I had diabetes or any other 'normal' illness I wouldn't have a problem telling anybody though.

Problem is that people may think your odd which is not good for self esteem.

Although depression might be different from aspergers. I'm glad I know I have aspergers as now I have alot of answers. I told one person I had it though and she didn't change one thing - personally I would read up straight away. I told someone I had epilepsy and immediately she went on the net to find out about it - I liked it.

Even my family haven't asked many questions - grrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Try telling them you have schizophrenia, the double take is amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Printemps93

This is the problem in this country though. Mental ill health is seen as something to be ashamed of instead of something which can be easily treated .
    Just like physical health conditions that no one else asks for Mental Ill health is exactly the same and as a society we need to stop this thinking that its rare and shameful and start to discuss it more openly so that people can be more aware and stigma will be reduced greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

euser1984 wrote: »
    What about aspergers if you don't mind being different. Is a label ok then?

Do people think that labels are bad because it distinguishes you from other people?

Aspergers isn't an illness.

Whether you have a mental illness, a physical illness, a neurological or psychological disorder, putting a label on it improves the chances of receiving the correct treatment, and it also aids understanding of the problem.

It is a personal decision whether or not you disclose the label to anyone.
    Nobody is obliged to announce it to the world.

I personally think that it helps to be open and honest with most people, no matter what the particular condition is.

It lets others understand you better, and also the more something is out in the open, the more socially acceptable it becomes to be out in the open, therefore spreading awareness, and hopefully resulting in societal understanding and tolerance.

This is the problem in this country though. Mental ill health is seen as something to be ashamed of instead of something which can be easily treated .
    Just like physical health conditions that no one else asks for Mental Ill health is exactly the same and as a society we need to stop this thinking that its rare and shameful and start to discuss it more openly so that people can be more aware and stigma will be reduced greatly

People are always talking about this. I have seen one ad on the tv for it but nothing else. I go around telling people I have epilepsy and am going to tell people I have aspergers. If they don't know what it is I'll tell them. It will of course be at work or acquaintance sthough that I will tell it to because I avoid night clubs and pubs. I don't particulary like people thinking I'm weird just as a trait of my developed personality so aspergers makes me more peaceful and i look at the positives of aspergers (we really are up on most in ways as well) in that if I get interested in something....

I have a poem I wrote kind of like life for aspergers vs. other people (my own perception of course)

I was really asking with this thread though why do doctors and psychologists think labels are bad.

I was really asking with this thread though why do doctors and psychologists think labels are bad.

On this, I have NO idea either!

I literally went from doctor to doctor to doctor for 3 years before I found one that was willing to refer my son to a clinic for assessment!
    Every single one insisted that it wasn't good to label a child so young.
    Eh..... He's my child, and I know there is something up with him!

Then when my son's psych was in the process of compiling his official report (after a year of assessments), it seemed to pain her to write that he had aspergers and adhd!

Any time she spoke of the aspergers or adhd in follow up appointments, she would almost whisper the words.
    It's not something to be ashamed of like!

I have no problem saying that I have ADD, I have asthma, I have a chronic infection in my womb, and I think I have depression again.

• Advertisement

On this, I have NO idea either!

I literally went from doctor to doctor to doctor for 3 years before I found one that was willing to refer my son to a clinic for assessment!
    Every single one insisted that it wasn't good to label a child so young.
    Eh..... He's my child, and I know there is something up with him!

Then when my son's psych was in the process of compiling his official report (after a year of assessments), it seemed to pain her to write that he had aspergers and adhd!

Any time she spoke of the aspergers or adhd in follow up appointments, she would almost whisper the words.
    It's not something to be ashamed of like!

I have no problem saying that I have ADD, I have asthma, I have a chronic infection in my womb, and I think I have depression again.

Strange.

I have ADHD and aspergers as well. How is your son getting on? I'm mid twenties and I wasted alot of my life depressed due to these condition. Good that you got him sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

euser1984 were you diagnosed as an adult with aspergers and if so how did that come about??

Sorry about the questions, if its too personal then just ignore. I am just interested because most people with aspergers are diagnosed when they are young.

Strange.

I have ADHD and aspergers as well. How is your son getting on? I'm mid twenties and I wasted alot of my life depressed due to these condition. Good that you got him sorted.

He's only 8 now, and overall he's doing quite well.
    I think that the early diagnosis has given him a decent chance to receive assistance in his weaker areas.

As apposed to me!
    I was only diagnosed with ADD last summer, so I was 25 then.
    And my husband was only diagnosed with aspergers 2 years ago, aged 26.

We would never have sought assessments for ourselves only that it became face smackingly clear while our son was being assessed!

I find that it's great to know that there is a reason for your 'eccentricities'!
    But at the same time you have all this resentment about going all that time and no one picking up on it, and so many 'what ifs'.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    euser1984 were you diagnosed as an adult with aspergers and if so how did that come about??

Sorry about the questions, if its too personal then just ignore. I am just interested because most people with aspergers are diagnosed when they are young.

Aspergers this week. I was going to a psychologist for the last few months and this week was my last session. I considered that I may have had it before as a doctor I went to see last December mentioned it. Anyway I was going to the psychologist with depression issues and I found out on the report which he gave to me that many aspergers features have been noted. This week was my last session actually because the sessions were going nowhere. I am extremely stubborn in my opinions and also have been labelled narcissistic in certain things. (ya that's true but I hate that word) I couldn't engage with the psychologist properly. I'm glad I got the diagnosis because it explains so much....so so much.

I gave up trying socially after many years, that was about 2 or 3 years ago. I had no idea why I just couldn't do it and I tried over and over again. I have one friend now though who I think (and he thinks) has aspergers as well. We talk about computers and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

shur if there were no labels, how would the doctors know what medicnes to give them????

He's only 8 now, and overall he's doing quite well.
    I think that the early diagnosis has given him a decent chance to receive assistance in his weaker areas.

As apposed to me!
    I was only diagnosed with ADD last summer, so I was 25 then.
    And my husband was only diagnosed with aspergers 2 years ago, aged 26.

We would never have sought assessments for ourselves only that it became face smackingly clear while our son was being assessed!

I find that it's great to know that there is a reason for your 'eccentricities'!
    But at the same time you have all this resentment about going all that time and no one picking up on it, and so many 'what ifs'.

Ahhh I like having these issues - as long as the ritalin works for the ADHD that is. That's not always and my head gets absolutely fried. What is your husband like and how did you meet him?

I feel now that having found out I have aspergers it might help me to develop a meaningful relationship (with the opposite sex that is). Probably someone with aspergers as well. It's painful having to deal with other people with these conditions I have - I avoid them as much as possible. On good days I find I can't stop myself from engaging. Then on bad days I'm like a different person and people that have developed some sort of relationship with me and want to continue persuing it (that could have been put so much better linguistically) think I'm weird because I just stand there not knowing what to say or laughing inappropriately or saying things off the wall. Not understanding where a conversation is going and thus going off roaming while talking is a reason I stay away from people as well.

I dealth with bullying growing up (or rather didn't deal with it). Drugs, trouble with guards (not too much though). Problems with jobs (over and over again). Depression, suicidal thoughts. Good that your son knows the cause so he knows he's different by nature. He will avoid all that I had to go through.

Ahhh I like having these issues - as long as the ritalin works for the ADHD that is. That's not always and my head gets absolutely fried. What is your husband like and how did you meet him?

I feel now that having found out I have aspergers it might help me to develop a meaningful relationship (with the opposite sex that is). Probably someone with aspergers as well. It's painful having to deal with other people with these conditions I have - I avoid them as much as possible. On good days I find I can't stop myself from engaging. Then on bad days I'm like a different person and people that have developed some sort of relationship with me and want to continue persuing it (that could have been put so much better linguistically) think I'm weird because I just stand there not knowing what to say or laughing inappropriately or saying things off the wall. Not understanding where a conversation is going and thus going off roaming while talking is a reason I stay away from people as well.

I dealth with bullying growing up (or rather didn't deal with it). Drugs, trouble with guards (not too much though). Problems with jobs (over and over again). Depression, suicidal thoughts. Good that your son knows the cause so he knows he's different by nature. He will avoid all that I had to go through.

I've been on all the different add meds available here, and the long acting ones have too many ups and downs, so I'm on the instant ritalin which is metabolised too quickly in my body so I have to take it every hour and a half, instead of 4 hours.
    So every hour and a half I have to remember my dose, which is a pain, and I can only take 6 a day, so it only does me for a small portion of the day.
    So fcuking annoying!!!

Met my husband at a party when I was 15.
    I just decided he was mine and attached myself to him, and he ran away!
    After about a year, he texted me and asked me out, even though I had thought that he had hated me, because he would never talk to me, he would only talk to the other guys about video games!

I think you should find someone you are comfortable talking to, and discuss how you are feeling.
    Whether it's a professional, or someone who has gone through something similar.
    I have two friends/acquaintances who have AS and ADHD, both who were also diagnosed in adulthood.
    So there have to be a fair few out there with similar issues.

I've been on all the different add meds available here, and the long acting ones have too many ups and downs, so I'm on the instant ritalin which is metabolised too quickly in my body so I have to take it every hour and a half, instead of 4 hours.
    So every hour and a half I have to remember my dose, which is a pain, and I can only take 6 a day, so it only does me for a small portion of the day.
    So fcuking annoying!!!

Met my husband at a party when I was 15.
    I just decided he was mine and attached myself to him, and he ran away!
    After about a year, he texted me and asked me out, even though I had thought that he had hated me, because he would never talk to me, he would only talk to the other guys about video games!

I think you should find someone you are comfortable talking to, and discuss how you are feeling.
    Whether it's a professional, or someone who has gone through something similar.
    I have two friends/acquaintances who have AS and ADHD, both who were also diagnosed in adulthood.
    So there have to be a fair few out there with similar issues.

Funny that actually. I have met a few girls in my life where they have attached themselves to me like that. They never stop either - it's not just a fling. I don't know what to do though. I am getting more comfortable in myself now though. I always develop really negative feelings towards them and end up hating them and only seeing their negatives. There has been one person this hasn't happened with though so maybe I feel there not right for me. This person I really liked though was such the opposite of me though I just couldn't do it.

Because with Biology there are ALWAYS exceptions , like people with Bipolar dont always show signs of hallucination , It's mainly to save their own rep insted of misdiagnosis of a patients condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

depression is associated with weakness and fragility of mind , its understandable that someone would want to keep it to themselves , depression entered my life at the age of 21 due to the fact that i wasnt strong enough to fight off and deal with a toxic individual who was part of my life at important period , i actually perfer others not knowing about it , my family knows about it and this causes me great shame , my father ( now desceased ) knowing about it only added to the shame as he was extremley critical and unsympathetic to me all throughout my life

• Advertisement

mental health is not at all easily treated , the mind is a complete mystery even for doctors , compared to other problems treated by professionals and medics , i firmly believe that depression can never be cured , once it enters your life , you are changed forever , a part of you dies , which is why some peope cannot live with the loss and choose to end it , i know thats the way it was with me , happened when i was at a crossroads in my early twentys , i could sense something was happening me but i wasnt strong enough for the battle and laid down my defense , i allowed it in and ive been grieving for the old me ever since , living with depression means living with a much lesser you , some people hate settling for 2nd best but with depression , its always 2nd best

irishh_bob wrote: »
    mental health is not at all easily treated , the mind is a complete mystery even for doctors , compared to other problems treated by professionals and medics , i firmly believe that depression can never be cured , once it enters your life , you are changed forever , a part of you dies , which is why some peope cannot live with the loss and choose to end it , i know thats the way it was with me , happened when i was at a crossroads in my early twentys , i could sense something was happening me but i wasnt strong enough for the battle and laid down my defense , i allowed it in and ive been grieving for the old me ever since , living with depression means living with a much lesser you , some people hate settling for 2nd best but with depression , its always 2nd best

Yeah but you could also say different insight or perspective. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. These are just spins i'm throwing out - not saying they have been useful for me.

I have a sinister view of many many things now.

Have you been to a therapist?

Yeah but you could also say different insight or perspective. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. These are just spins i'm throwing out - not saying they have been useful for me.

I have a sinister view of many many things now.

Have you been to a therapist?

what doesnt kill you will only make your stronger is a banal cliche

ive always placed more stock in the joker from batmans take , what doesnt kill you , can only make you STRANGER

i dont believe in therapy , therapy cant change the past , paying someone to listen to you whinge is undignified

i dont believe in therapy , therapy cant change the past , paying someone to listen to you whinge is undignified

This is a misconception held by most people.

The particular approach you are referring to is most likely 'Rogerian Therapy'.
    There are other similarly based approaches, but this is the most commonly known approach, and the main approach practiced in Ireland.

This is the type of counselling where a person is encouraged to work through their feelings, and their past. They are usually provided with a listening ear to discuss anything on their mind at their own pace, with little direction from the counselor.

This specific type of therapy is unquestionably helpful to a person who is in a particular place (figuratively speaking).
    For example; If a person has been through a recent trauma, or if a past trauma has 'come back to haunt them', or if there is some overwhelming issue in the persons life in which they need to feel heard, safe, supported, comforted etc...

This Rogerian style therapy should only be used for a limited duration.
    There is no general time limit on how long a person needs to be cultivated in this manner.
    But it is not wise or advisable to maintain this stage for longer than is individually necessary, otherwise it can cause a person to become 'stuck', and prevent progression.
    It is vital that the person is empowered and enabled to move forward.

Directive and/or goal orientated therapies do just this.
    They do not accommodate a great deal of mulling over past events and feelings.
    They are more focused on assisting a person to take control of their feelings, behaviours, and their lives.
    Examples of this type of therapy are reality therapy or cbt.
    And then there many are non-talk therapies too.

A lot of therapists will incorporate many different styles of counselling into their sessions depending on the clients individual needs.
    However, most therapists will favour a particular approach or approaches, so it is necessary to find out what methods they generally employ, prior to undertaking counselling.

Also, there are a huge amount of unqualified practitioners out there who advertise themselves as counselors or therapists, and they could potentially cause long term damage to a person.
    So ensure that the therapist is a member of the IACP.

(Sorry, I know this is long, and it is off topic. I just thought that should be cleared up.)

There are other similarly based approaches, but this is the most commonly known approach, and the main approach practiced in Ireland.

This is the type of counselling where a person is encouraged to work through their feelings, and their past. They are usually provided with a listening ear to discuss anything on their mind at their own pace, with little direction from the counselor.

This specific type of therapy is unquestionably helpful to a person who is in a particular place (figuratively speaking).
    For example; If a person has been through a recent trauma, or if a past trauma has 'come back to haunt them', or if there is some overwhelming issue in the persons life in which they need to feel heard, safe, supported, comforted etc...

This Rogerian style therapy should only be used for limited a duration.
    There is no general time limit on how long a person needs to be cultivated in this manner.
    But it is not wise or advisable to maintain this stage for longer than is individually necessary, otherwise it can cause a person to become 'stuck', and prevent progression.

They are more focused on assisting a person to take control of their feelings, behaviours, and their lives.

A lot of therapists will incorporate many different styles of counselling into their sessions depending on the clients individual needs.
    However, most therapists will favour a particular approach or approaches, so it is necessary to find out what methods they generally employ, prior to undertaking counselling.

Also, there are a huge amount of unqualified practitioners out there who advertise themselves as counselors or therapists, and they could potentially cause long term damage to a person.

(Sorry, I know this is long, and it is off topic. I just thought that should be cleared up.)

Didn't know that though I did know of two including CBT and psychodynamic.

I didn't go through my past so much. It was mostly about the here and now. I did not have the emotional capacity or insight for a lot of it. I tried CBT before but I think I was too stubborn. I just have to live now with being different to most people - I can do chit chit in extremely small doses on such things as the weather, otherwise I need to stay away from people as much as possible.

irishh_bob - You sound narrow minded especially if you haven't done it but I'm narrow minded as well so who I am to say.

This Rogerian style therapy should only be used for a limited duration.

those therapy journeys strip you of your authenticity and turn you into a generic clone of a person , always easy to spot someone who has been rebuilt

those therapy journeys strip you of your authenticity and turn you into a generic clone of a person , always easy to spot someone who has been rebuilt

No.
    Exactly my point.

Directive therapy only encourages a person to come up with their own solutions, instead of living in the past or focusing on the unhelpful things.

You are just talking about non-directive talk therapy.

Not everyone with Depression has the same outlook as you . some people are born genetically prone to get Depression and some just get it via environmental factors .
    I personally dont think a part of you dies .A part of you slows down and begins to search for meaning in life because they are no longer content with being embalmed in a materialistic existence.
    Mental Ill Health can be managed reasonably well treated perhaps wasnt the best word I could have used .I don't believe you overcome Depression in a sense , but you do get your life back .
    You will always have the memories of that period in your life

Not everyone with Depression has the same outlook as you . some people are born genetically prone to get Depression and some just get it via environmental factors .
    I personally dont think a part of you dies .A part of you slows down and begins to search for meaning in life because they are no longer content with being embalmed in a materialistic existence.
    Mental Ill Health can be managed reasonably well treated perhaps wasnt the best word I could have used .I don't believe you overcome Depression in a sense , but you do get your life back .
    You will always have the memories of that period in your life

Maybe you do search for meaning but I was always that way anyway. The world is just a third eye concept we generate with just our 5 senses. Were living in the matrix.

• Advertisement

I think you may be trolling this thread - not apt in any circumstance but particularly in an illness forum.

Advertisement