Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand or BTEA ??????HELP

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Ok so here it is:

I have been offered a place in UCC to do Arts which I am delighted with and its exactly what I wanted to do. But I am a bit confused about applying for a grand or BTEA, what is what? If you get one you cant get the other?

I am a single mother living over one hour away from UCC , I plan to travel every day to college. I am obviously on the OPFP , that means I need to apply to BTEA? I am so stressed and nervous about all this: will i be able to do it, will i be able to sustain myself economically ???. I have been trying to read the websites (studentfinance.ie, etc) and I don't really understand.

Can someone clarify this so I get to sleep at some stage???

MANY THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

You have the option to stay on one parent family if you like and also get the grant the only disadvantage being that if you are on rent allowance you will loose that . I'm sure that if you are on the councils RAS scheme you can stay on OPF and keep the ras . I'm in the same position the social welfare told me I would be better off switching to the btea but citizens advice told me I'm better off staying on OPF ! Hope that helps op!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

You have the option to stay on one parent family if you like and also get the grant the only disadvantage being that if you are on rent allowance you will loose that . I'm sure that if you are on the councils RAS scheme you can stay on OPF and keep the ras . I'm in the same position the social welfare told me I would be better off switching to the btea but citizens advice told me I'm better off staying on OPF ! Hope that helps op!

Hi Thanks, I am happy to know I am not the only one confused!
    well i prefer to stay in my One parent and apply for the grant as I dont care losing RA (only 14 euro a week) . So that really helped thanks again and good luck

There are two more advantages of going on btea you get €500 at the beginning of each year I think it's called student asstistant and you can also work part time on the btea and it won't affect your payment which will be the same amount as you are receiving on OPF . Basically you will have to add up all the pros and cons like keeping your RA works out at 728 a year approx and add the 500 student assistant €1228 where as staying on OPF qualifing for the full maintenance Adjacent grant is 1250 and all earnings will be taken into account ! Oh god reading that back I'm nearly confusing myself but I really hope it makes sense to you! Basically everyone will be in a different situation so you really need to break it all down and see which one will work out better for you!

Just noticed you lived an hour away from college so that's prob more than the 45klm so therefore the non adjacent grant and OPF will prob work out better for you !

Just noticed you lived an hour away from college so that's prob more than the 45klm so therefore the non adjacent grant and OPF will prob work out better for you !

You really are an angel thanks again and yes somehow its all making sense :-))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

In my case I kept my OPF, got the full grant and the top up grant and managed to work part time too. I also got a grant from the college from their hardship fund to help pay for books in first year. To be honest I was much better off when I was a lone parent in college than I am now as a married working woman!

Bally8 wrote: »
    In my case I kept my OPF, got the full grant and the top up grant and managed to work part time too. I also got a grant from the college from their hardship fund to help pay for books in first year. To be honest I was much better off when I was a lone parent in college than I am now as a married working woman!

That sounds really good! I hope it works well for me as if I dont get a grant etc i wont be able to survive paying childcare expenses, petrol, etc (bit worried) whats the top up grant? and the hardship fund? i am really lost i think, God help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

nadialbala wrote: »
    That sounds really good! I hope it works well for me as if I dont get a grant etc i wont be able to survive paying childcare expenses, petrol, etc (bit worried) whats the top up grant? and the hardship fund? i am really lost i think, God help me!

The top up rate of grant is an extra payment added to the standard maximum rate for people on low incomes. To be eligible you must have an income in 2010 of no more than €22,703 gross and this must include a DSP payment such as Jobseekers, OPFP or one of a list of others.

There are two rates of top-up available, Adjacent and Non-Adjacent.
    Adjacent Rate.
    Adjacent Standard Rate of grant: €1,250
    Adjacent rate top-up: €1,195
    Total top up rate adjacent grant: €2,445
    The adjacent rate is paid to students whop live less than 45 Km from their course provider.

Non-Adjacent Rate
    Non-Adjacent Standard Rate of grant: €3,120
    Adjacent rate top-up: €2,980
    Total top up rate adjacent grant: €6,100
    The non-adjacent rate is paid to students who live more than 45 Km from their course provider.

You can retain your OPFP and receive the grant but you may loose your Rent Allowance, although the application of this rule is sporadic in places.

The Hardship or Student Assistance fund is provided by the Dept of Education and administered by each third level centre. The fund is open to students who are experiencing financial hardship that may be a result of course participation or that may be hindering their studies. Applications are made directly to the college and are assessed usually by the student welfare office. Payments can vary depending on each applicants circumstances. Applications can only come from registered students. More detailed info is on Student Finance here. http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html

Hope this helps.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The top up rate of grant is an extra payment added to the standard maximum rate for people on low incomes. To be eligible you must have an income in 2010 of no more than €22,703 gross and this must include a DSP payment such as Jobseekers, OPFP or one of a list of others.

There are two rates of top-up available, Adjacent and Non-Adjacent.
    Adjacent Rate.
    Adjacent Standard Rate of grant: €1,250
    Adjacent rate top-up: €1,195
    Total top up rate adjacent grant: €2,445
    The adjacent rate is paid to students whop live less than 45 Km from their course provider.

Non-Adjacent Rate
    Non-Adjacent Standard Rate of grant: €3,120
    Adjacent rate top-up: €2,980
    Total top up rate adjacent grant: €6,100
    The non-adjacent rate is paid to students who live more than 45 Km from their course provider.

You can retain your OPFP and receive the grant but you may loose your Rent Allowance, although the application of this rule is sporadic in places.

The Hardship or Student Assistance fund is provided by the Dept of Education and administered by each third level centre. The fund is open to students who are experiencing financial hardship that may be a result of course participation or that may be hindering their studies. Applications are made directly to the college and are assessed usually by the student welfare office. Payments can vary depending on each applicants circumstances. Applications can only come from registered students. More detailed info is on Student Finance here. http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html

Hope this helps.

That is really clear and helpful, I am almost done filling up the grant application ! thanks so much!

Another question : how is the grant paid once you get it? bank? cheque? and how often through the year?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

nadialbala wrote: »
    Another question : how is the grant paid once you get it? bank? cheque? and how often through the year?

Thanks

You're welcome
    Not entirely sure, I think its in cheque form that is either sent to your house or you collect from the grants office.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You're welcome
    Not entirely sure, I think its in cheque form that is either sent to your house or you collect from the grants office.

Thanks again :-)

Advertisement