Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

All the things the CG do, and they show the bike unit (whose usefulness I would question, you're more likely to run over a kid hidden in those dunes than find it safe and well) ?Seriously lame attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Hardly a lame attempt. On the contrary, I think it demonstrates an aspect of the coast guard not normally seen. The coast, being as it is, comprises of more than just water and, in certain circumstances, a land based approach is probably appropriate.
    If you're looking for a more approachable way to view the coast guard, I think this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

sdeire wrote: »
    All the things the CG do, and they show the bike unit (whose usefulness I would question, you're more likely to run over a kid hidden in those dunes than find it safe and well) ?Seriously lame attempt.

There's already programs on the cg helicopter rescue 117 etc so showing a fearure that is not water based i think helps public understand the full range of services provided including the clff rescue side.

As for usefulness of the bikes on the contrary they are very effective for accessing quickly areas vehicles can't access. They've been directly responsible for location of missing children and sadly in one case a body recovery.. They were used as recent as last Monday morning for a search on Portmarnock beach. Also helps keep the team fit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I should clarify that I have a huge respect for the CG and I actually already knew of a couple of the guys featured through the school I was in - I just think the general public opinion will be that the bike unit isn't a very interesting part of what they do compared to some of the other things that could have been featured. Part of raising awareness for things like this is appealing to the masses and while us enthusiasts here will appreciate the little things (although I still think using an MTB in those conditions has its downsides, in my relatively uneducated opinion) the general great unwashed may not.

DIdn't mean to sound so ciritical, anyway, sorry. Still a good piece and much better than no coverage!

We'll agree to disagree.

CG Helicopter gets a high profile in media and its a big red and white noisy thing that most people along the coast have seen or heard of at some stage. So no shortage of press there.

The tv program showed the lesser known Coastal stations showing the Cliff Rescue and Search/ Safety Patrol side and did a very professional job in my opinion.

Every form of transport has its downsides including the bikes, beyond the helicopter the quickest way across those Sand Dunes is bicycle/ motor bike. Bike is relatively cheap and safe option. Proof is there in the successful searches where a family were united with a lost child or as I mentioned in one case sadly reunited with a deceased member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Torpedo wrote: »
    Every form of transport has its downsides including the bikes, beyond the helicopter the quickest way across those Sand Dunes is bicycle/ motor bike. Bike is relatively cheap and safe option. Proof is there in the successful searches where a family were united with a lost child or as I mentioned in one case sadly reunited with a deceased member.

Can I ask are many kids getting lost on the beaches of north dub these days? Just looking and reading about Dublin in the 40s-60s and the beaches are nowhere near the population now on a sunny day as then.

Totally weather dependent. A sunny day and beaches along Portmarnock, Howth and Dollymount will be packed. Beach Lifeguards do most of the reuniting and they are kept busy with it on the good weather days.

Opinion seems to be more people are returning to local seasides due to "staycations", introduction of affordable wetsuits etc. Certainly a lot more small pleasure craft on the water in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Torpedo wrote: »
    Totally weather dependent. A sunny day and beaches along Portmarnock, Howth and Dollymount will be packed. Beach Lifeguards do most of the reuniting and they are kept busy with it on the good weather days.

Opinion seems to be more people are returning to local seasides due to "staycations", introduction of affordable wetsuits etc. Certainly a lot more small pleasure craft on the water in recent times.

Hmmm but still nowhere near the images of two cars deep parked on the beaches of the 50s-60s?? And families where much bigger before TV then too. :D But obviously the Coastguard identified a steady increase in lost kids from there stats over the decades which they then used as the business plan to equip the bike rescue team. If more kids are getting lost on NCD beaches and less people on the beaches it does identify a worrying issue with modern parenting in NCD.:confused:

Yea you’re probably right on the numbers visiting the beaches (memory fades on me pre 70’s...!)

I think reports of missing children are taken a lot more serious nowadays than they were 50 years ago and there’s protocols in place now (in particular the last two years) that were never heard of before. More often its adults that go missing for a variety of reasons.

Advertisement