Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polystyrene bead cavity insulation pros/cons

Options
  • 07-07-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My house was built in the mid 1990s and has 100mm cavity with 50mm of polystyrene board insulation against the inner leaf. I am considering taking up the Bord Gais offer to have the remainder of the cavity filled with pumped polystyrene bead cavity insulation.

Has anyone done this and see a noticable improvement in the warmth of the house?

I am still wondering if the benefits in energy efficiency are worth the possible risks of introducing damp or other problems - any comments?

It seems that once you take the step of having this done it it difficult/impossible to undo it even if problems don't appear for 10 or 20 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There have been quite a few threads on this topic with the majority of posts/people in favour if this type of insulation and finding real benefit from it.

I pulled this one out of the pile but you could enter "cavity insulation" in the search box and read other threads also - both in this forum and the C & P main forum and maybe a couple on the arch tech forum.

Advertisement