Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - Are they open to political influence

Options
  • 07-07-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi. I have just moved into a new house which is a cul de sac of 7 houses. As a % mine is 14% of the total houses 1/7. I have asked Bord Gais to connect me to the network but they say >20% of houses must want to join and it will cost €5k each. None of my neighbours want to join the gas network. My house is at the exit so is only approx 20m from the gas mains! I really want gas but they wont take my €5k as there is not 20% uptake!! Would my local TD be able to help? Can anyone suggest what else I can try to convince them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I hope to God that a TD has no influence over such matters. Bord Gais is supposed to operate on a commercial basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1. Why on earth should a TD be able to influence this? It must not be commercially viable to supply the one house, so Bord Gais won't do it. More power to them!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DonSke wrote: »
    Hi. I have just moved into a new house which is a cul de sac of 7 houses. As a % mine is 14% of the total houses 1/7. I have asked Bord Gais to connect me to the network but they say >20% of houses must want to join and it will cost €5k each. None of my neighbours want to join the gas network. My house is at the exit so is only approx 20m from the gas mains! I really want gas but they wont take my €5k as there is not 20% uptake!! Would my local TD be able to help? Can anyone suggest what else I can try to convince them? Thanks

I find this amusing as hell,
    If TD's did have influence in this way they'd likely be people here complaining yet here's somebody that wants a TD to screw with the system,.

Bord Gais is a company and like any company its in it to make money, if it doesn't make financial sense to roll out its services in a given area then they are under no obligation to do so.

The same goes for the likes of UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lol- Bord Gais is a commercial state company. If you really want to get your TD to petition on your behalf- go right ahead. To be 100% honest with you- not only will it not help your case- the magic 20% will change to 30%....... Remember what used happen back with Telecom Eireann.......

I'm sorry for finding this so amusing- but why on earth do you imagine that your TD has any influence over Bord Gais? Not only do they have no influence- they could get into trouble for meddling in the affairs of the company if they did try.......

Why do you imagine TDs operate in this manner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A TD is quite entitled to make representation about just about anything to just about anybody if they wish. Whether it will help is another matter, but you can't say it won't.

If you only need to get one other person on board, that would actually be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A TD is quite entitled to make representation about just about anything to just about anybody if they wish. Whether it will help is another matter, but you can't say it won't.

If you only need to get one other person on board, that would actually be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.cer.ie/

would be a better bet, after that local councillors, that's what they are for, your local TD deals with national issues, they are there for local ones

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

DonSke wrote: »
    Would my local TD be able to help?
    Of course they would, Just give them a nice little brown envelope and point them in the right direction :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The 20% suggests they don't realise there are only 7 houses.

Realistically, you best avenue of attack is to say there is a supply X metres away and that you are willing to contribute to the cost.

Would you consider a gas tank (Calor or similar), although I imagine that would cost also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement