Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilian wax - meant to be like this?

• 07-07-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Ok so decided to get my first ever bikini wax today and after some research on boards, I opted to go for a Brazilian. All went well got over the embarrassment, pain wasn't even that bad. However firstly I don't think the beautician even gave me a Brazilian, as theres still alot of hair down there. She went nowhere near my labia as I thought a Brazilian wax did, and now to make matters worse it feels all stubbly down there. Is it supposed to feel like this or will that go away?? Also any tips on aftercare wud be appreciated. Beginning to feel a little ripped off (pardon the pun!) and there I was lookin forward to givin the boyf a little surprise.. :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

1) A brazilian is not ALL hair off, you will still have some hair left. I'm not sure how much hair as I've never had a brazilian, only a hollywood.

2) When you say stubbly, do you mean there is hair stubble down there? Or little red bumps?

It's normal to have little red bumps down there, but there shouldn't be any hair stubble. Of course it depends on hormones too.

Can I ask, where did you go for the wax? You can PM me if you don't want to say in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Oh I know a Brazilian doesn't remove everything but from what I read during my research I should have considerably less hair that what I have right now! And well it's not very red and bumpy it def feels stubbly, in fact shaving would leave a much smoother result IMO. Got it done on Douglas, Cork, 36e was that a bit cheap? You mentioned hormones, how do they affect the result? Thanks for help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

You definitely shouldn't have stubble. Where I go, the therapist usually takes off everything except a narrow strip either side, if that makes sense? Then she asks if I want her to take the hair off underneath, or closer to the bottom. Sorry if thats a little graphic! :)

€36 for a brazilian? Did you go to a salon? Did you get a discount or a citydeal voucher or something? Cause for a full priced brazilian it is very cheap. Most places (that I know of) charge €50+ full price for a brazilian.

As far as I know hormones do affect it, I am not sure how though exactly.

One time I went and had my legs, underarms and a hollywood done the week before my period and I had stubble after wards. I thought it was cause the beautician didn't wax me properly, so I phoned the salon and went back and two staff members (beauticians) checked the waxed areas and told me me that it was hormones that caused the stubble not because the beautician didn't wax properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Yep def went to a salon! There was an offer on as far as I know but I was thinking it was kinda cheap. she did ask me at the end was I happy with it and did I want more off but to be honest I thought it looked ok, it was first experience so I didn't know how it was supposed to look! Also it only took about 20 mins which on hindsight was v quick.
    Hasn't put me off or anything, the quest for a proper waxing experience has only begun. Thanks for help :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Two of the better places in Cork charge €45 for a Brazilian so if there was an offer on and this place charged about the same €36 would be about right.

If you're not happy with it you should definitely give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

that is a bit cheap, but in a salon in town, i got a full leg wax and hollywood for 70? the leg waxing hurt way more:eek:

booboo88 wrote: »
    that is a bit cheap, but in a salon in town, i got a full leg wax and hollywood for 70? the leg waxing hurt way more:eek:
    Some salons have combinations offers, the salon I usually go to, do a full leg and hollywood for €75.

The hollywood on it's own it €75 and a full leg wax is €50 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

As far as I know there is supposed to be a landing strip maybe an inch or so wide. 36 sounds OK. But 20 mins? Sounds odd I get everything off in about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Brazilians are a thin landing strip, some salons get rid of all the rest of the hair (so, wax all the way to the anus and just leave hair on the pubis (fatty bit on top of the pubic bone) - nothing on labia or anywhere else) while others leave the strip of hair extend down the lips (so, it goes all the way from the pubis to the anus along the labia) with the bikini line and outside curves of the labia clear, but not the full vulva clear. It really depends on the person doing it and the salon. Most people specify if they want everything gone except the landing strip on the pubis so perhaps if you didn't the beautician assumed you wanted a full landing strip.

(excuse graphic description!)

In saying that, definitely ring them up if you are not happy with the job done. Stubble really soon after a wax is not usual, even if it is your first wax (the hair will grow back a bit faster on the first few waxes) and if you feel ripped off or that they did a shoddy job then let them know. They won't know if they are going wrong unless clients tell them and they should be providing a good service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Are you sure you asked for a Brazilian? Done properly, a Brazilian leaves hair on the front in either a strip or mini-triangle shape. All the hair from the labia and bum is removed. Sounds like you had a standard bikini wax. You certainly shouldn't have stubble either. I always have a Hollywood and I'll only go to Urban Wax. I think for a Hollywood or Brazilian its worth paying a bit more and getting it done properly tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

From what I remember (it's been years since I've had a Brazilian) a Brazilian means everything comes off but the landing strip. I do recall one of the salons I used to go to distinguished between a Brazilian and an 'Extended Brazilian.' The former being essentially an extended bikini that didn't include the bum, labia etc.

By the sounds of it what you got was really a glorified bikini wax, which is not what I would expect if they are advertising Brazilian. At the same time, at 36e it was very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

for anyone in dublin there's a salon in ranelagh - used to be in rathmines called Rouge.
    the girls are fantastic and it is incredibly cheap - i pay less than €50 for a full leg and bikini - they have 20% off offers alot.
    014982505 is their number

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

LNH666 wrote: »
    for anyone in dublin there's a salon in ranelagh - used to be in rathmines called Rouge.
    the girls are fantastic and it is incredibly cheap - i pay less than €50 for a full leg and bikini - they have 20% off offers alot.
    014982505 is their number

Spam Alert:rolleyes:

cazze wrote: »

still pretty new at this whole boards thing. i don't work for them or anything like that, honestly!!

i was recommended them by a girl in work and i always try pass on a good thing when i find it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

cazze wrote: »

Please use the report function rather than posting in the thread.

okies - just to check is there a way i can recommend a place or will it all be considered spam? like i said - newbie!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LNH666 PM'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Hi guys,

I am getting a hollywood/brazialian next week and am quite nervous about it. I'll get over the pain and I know that it's their job etc and they are used to it but can i ask, what so I need to expect.
    Obviously, i'll be naked from waist down but what's the process like, as in, do you lie on your back for all of it with legs down, etc ? Does it take long?

Excuse my ignorance. reply would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hi guys,

I am getting a hollywood/brazialian next week and am quite nervous about it. I'll get over the pain and I know that it's their job etc and they are used to it but can i ask, what so I need to expect.
    Obviously, i'll be naked from waist down but what's the process like, as in, do you lie on your back for all of it with legs down, etc ? Does it take long?

Excuse my ignorance. reply would be appreciated.

You lie on your back and hold your legs up (think the position women give birth in, but one leg at a time). Some beauticians will have you turn over onto all fours, bum in the air, and do some waxing from behind. If you are not comfortable with this, just say so but it's not done in every salon. Often, you will need to trim your hair a bit (if it is very long) so that the wax can grab everything at once.

It doesn't take too long, maybe 15 minutes. The beautician should apply some soothing gel afterwards for you so you may be left for a few minutes for this to soak in.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

foodie86 wrote: »
    Oh I know a Brazilian doesn't remove everything but from what I read during my research I should have considerably less hair that what I have right now! And well it's not very red and bumpy it def feels stubbly, in fact shaving would leave a much smoother result IMO. Got it done on Douglas, Cork, 36e was that a bit cheap? You mentioned hormones, how do they affect the result? Thanks for help!

Hi OP,am from Cork,if you want PM me and I'll send you the number of the salon I go to for any waxing requirements.

Advertisement