Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle yay or nay ?

• 07-07-2011 10:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking of getting a Kindle - I am always reading and should get lots of use out of it, I still think I will get the odd book tho especially when it's a "photo" book.

People here that use it, how has it changed your reading habits ?

How do newspapers look on it ?

and the ones with WIFI can you surf the net on it ? - not that i really want it
    for that ... just curious..

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've had a kindle for a while.

As to changing my reading habits. I'd say for me it has. I've started reading a lot more as it is easy to carry the kindle around and it even fits in the back pocket of my Jeans.

I had a subscription to the Irish Times for a while. The content was all there but it lacked the pictures, so it depends what you want out of the newspaper.

Web surfing is not the best the browser is slow and clunky. It has however got me out of a few scrapes. I.E. phone was dead but my 3G Kindle was able to get onto Twitter, send a direct message to my partner and she was able to pick me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm an avid reader and my reading habits haven't changed, if anything I read more since the Kindle is easier to carry about rather than a thousand page tome.

I wasn't too impressed with the trial of the Irish Times so I didn't continue it, the news content was all there but the pictures weren't (not a big deal), some of the supplements also seemed to be missing (a big deal) such as the business section on a Friday although maybe I was blind and couldn't see it.

I've never really used it for web browsing nor would I rely on something like this for web-browsing. From what I did see of it, awkward would be the best way to describe it.

Overall I'm very happy with mine even though before hand I had been reluctant to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I stopped reading for years as I couldn't stand carrying around a heavy book. Now I have my kindle, it is the best gadget I have ever bought. It is so handy to download books, nice and cheap books and so easy on the eyes.

I wouldn't use it to web surf but for reading books, there is nothing better!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Ordered it, the classics being free + I want to re read the Lord of the rings again soon - but couldn't face carrying around my clunky big copy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 WDW1111

Love my Kindle! Internet (other than Amazon book store) is dreadful on it though - too finicky to use but useful if you just want a quick check of e-amil. I have the 3G one though to be honest it's not worth the extra money. Battery lasts nearly a month when you leave wireless turned off (I only turn it on when I have bought books so they can download). I tend to use my computer to actually buy the books as it's easier to browse that way.

For newspapers I suggest you download a program called Calibre and you can get free newspapers including Irish Times, Indo etc that way for free. Lack of pictures not such an issue when you aren't paying hard cash. Only tiny catch with calibre is that you do the download on your computer and then physically link the Kindle to it (for a few seconds only) to download the papers. You can subscribe to papers all over the world this way - great free service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement