Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute teaching and how does it work

• 08-07-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi I have recently completed a Bachelor of Arts in English and History and finished with a 2.1 from the University of Limerick ; I have heard about obtaining a teaching number, does any one know how this works or how I apply as I want to apply for a hdip for next December?
    Any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can't get a teaching number until you're registered with the Teaching Council, which can't happen until you've finished your PGDE/HDip and you're qualified.

You won't need a teacher number to apply for or take the PGDE/HDip.

It's possible to sub while unqualified, but it's unlikely you'll be afforded that opportunity due to large numbers of qualified teachers looking to do the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

kenyard wrote: »
    Hi I have recently completed a Bachelor of Arts in English and History and finished with a 2.1 from the University of Limerick ; I have heard about obtaining a teaching number, does any one know how this works or how I apply as I want to apply for a hdip for next December?
    Any advise would be appreciated

As the above poster has said, it is highly unlikely you will get subbing in schools. There are hundreds of qualified experienced teachers looking for subbing.

A lot of teachers in my school have had hours cut for September. They will be the first in line for any subbing that is going, to bump up their hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

It is possible to sub while unqualified, but if you're not a qualified teacher you shouldn't be subbing. End of story. If people want experience of some of the realities of teaching, they can ask a school if they can volunteer.

I really can't understand the mentality of people (not just you personally OP, it's built up over the years) thinking they can sub without any qualification in teaching. It doesn't matter how qualified you are in other areas, if you're not a qualified teacher, you shouldn't be "teaching". It's not fair on kids having someone unqualified employed, and it's not fair on all the unemployed, fully qualified teachers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brookie123

You should not be subbing as an unqualified teacher. Unqualified teachers will be reported by some teachers & unemployed QUALIFIED teachers, so I wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Brookie123 wrote: »
    You should not be subbing as an unqualified teacher. Unqualified teachers will be reported by some teachers & unemployed QUALIFIED teachers, so I wouldn't advise it.

Reported to whom? It shouldn't happen, but it still does.

• Advertisement

Teaching Council & INTO & Dept of education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Teaching Council & INTO & Dept of education.

Yeah, but can they actually do anything? I know that principals were written to by the Dept. advising them not to hire unqualified subs. But, as far as I know, they can't do anything about it if the principal says s/he couldn't get anyone else. The INTO only get involved when things directly affect their members and I can't imagine the Teaching Council actually doing something....no scrap that, anything:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you can get teaching experience in whatever form (paid or unpaid) kenyard then go for it.

Experience counts for points to get on to a PGDE course thorough the PAC system...
    [extract from pac.ie (points calculation)]

Points will be awarded on the basis of
    1. performance in an eligible primary degree and
    2. additional relevant academic qualifications, if any
    3. relevant professional experience, if any
    Up to two additional points may be awarded in recognition of part time paid employment which is deemed relevant, and which can be verified. Points will normally be awarded on the basis of one point for year of relevant experience, up to the maximum of two points

AS you can see the PAC system itself requires you to have experience first, unless of course you have a 1.1 Degree and a PHd. A fair whack of students who did the PGDE in my year had already taught before doing the PGDE, times are probably different now but if you know a principal that could swing you a few hours then go for it. English and History is a 'little bit' common though? Be prepared to be travelling abroad or doing extra courses after your PGDE though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

E.T. wrote: »
    It is possible to sub while unqualified, but if you're not a qualified teacher you shouldn't be subbing.

I thought with this new Teaching Council thing being implemented you could no longer get paid for teaching if you are not registered with the TC. And you can't register without the dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

there is no teaching council action being implemented. The primary teachers union put it up as a bone of contention. it was respected by the department who issued a circular letter to primary schools boards of management.

At second level the whole question of employing qualified teachers is a moot subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Armelodie wrote: »
    If you can get teaching experience in whatever form (paid or unpaid) kenyard then go for it.

Experience counts for points to get on to a PGDE course thorough the PAC system...
    [extract from pac.ie (points calculation)]

Points will be awarded on the basis of
    1. performance in an eligible primary degree and
    2. additional relevant academic qualifications, if any
    3. relevant professional experience, if any
    Up to two additional points may be awarded in recognition of part time paid employment which is deemed relevant, and which can be verified. Points will normally be awarded on the basis of one point for year of relevant experience, up to the maximum of two points

AS you can see the PAC system itself requires you to have experience first, unless of course you have a 1.1 Degree and a PHd. A fair whack of students who did the PGDE in my year had already taught before doing the PGDE, times are probably different now but if you know a principal that could swing you a few hours then go for it. English and History is a 'little bit' common though? Be prepared to be travelling abroad or doing extra courses after your PGDE though.

You left out:

Please note that:
    Points cannot be awarded where the information provided is ambiguous or incomplete.
    Points awarded for professional experience are entirely at the discretion of the PAC PGDE team, representing the participating universities.
    Points are not awarded for teaching in a second-level school while unqualified.

And you don't need any experience for the PGDE just a good degree and BINGO your in.

To the OP, with subjects such as English and History you have little chance of a job when qualified never mind subbing unqualified due to the sheer amount of PDGE graduates with that sort of combination (unless the new junior cert curriculum creates more jobs with it's focus on English). They should try to limit the numbers in a way similar to quota system in business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Part of being accepted to a HDip/PGDE is having TEACHING EXPERIENCE! It is allowed and is NECESSARY.

As anyone who has even had a sub teacher will know, they do nothing apart from sit in front of the class. It could be done by a monkey so I've no idea why people are getting so caught up with putting the youth through uneducated hands. You MUST work your way up, as with any job!

No it is not acceptable anymore as there are hundreds of QUALIFIED teachers available to sub!! If you want experience go and volunteer in a school!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No it is not acceptable anymore as there are hundreds of QUALIFIED teachers available to sub!! If you want experience go and volunteer in a school!!

It is acceptable if the school cannot get a qualified sub....In my school we have been looking for subs for the past two weeks and noone has been found....I would say that if someone without their H Dip could be found right now they would be hired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Part of being accepted to a HDip/PGDE is having TEACHING EXPERIENCE! It is allowed and is NECESSARY.

As anyone who has even had a sub teacher will know, they do nothing apart from sit in front of the class. It could be done by a monkey so I've no idea why people are getting so caught up with putting the youth through uneducated hands. You MUST work your way up, as with any job!

Points are not awarded for entry to the PDE for teaching experience anymore while unqualified.

Maybe you're not a teacher, but the subs that are employed in my school are expected to work - either carry out the work left by the absent teacher or continue on from where the teacher left off as best they can. Subs that don't pull their weight are not given more work, other subs are employed instead.

It's a huge insult to anyone going in to do that job to say that a monkey can do it.

Where is this school located? Myself & hundreds more are available!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No it's not :confused: Or at least the NUIM one didn't have that criteria...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I think the OP needs to get in touch with universities offering the PGDE and see if any changes have been made to the entry criteria in the current economic climate... I imagine that unqualified teacher who were given a teaching position in a school ten years ago would be able to use this experience in their applications. However its obvious that its no longer possible for new graduate to do the same as the experience isnt out there.

In my HDip school the regular sub teacher was a woman with no HDip or degree!! I was shocked when I heard this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

lestat21 wrote: »
    In my HDip school the regular sub teacher was a woman with no HDip or degree!! I was shocked when I heard this....

Despite all the lip service in recent years there is still plenty of unqualified teachers in schools around the country, not just subbing.

Advertisement