Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Can someone help me pick a fan for blowing cool air into a room

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Blimey! That is cool! Do you mind me asking what you are using it for?

What kind of graphics cards are those?

If this is a standard configuration, and if the room is reasonably cool, is it not really the manufacturer's problem to figure out the cooling?

Are the GPUs at the bottom faring better than the other ones?

Is the air coming out the top pretty cool?

I think the problem is the airflow design in the box. It's all over the place. There's air flying here there and everywhere and the different flows may be interfering with each other.

My own intuition would be that the fan at the top is pulling cool air away from the graphics cards. As a result, the graphics cards aren't getting enough cool air passing through them and so the chip overheats.

Easy enough to test for this. Try disconnecting the extractor fan at the top. You could also try reversing those fans, so they blow cool air into the case.

The idea I would have is to increase the air pressure inside the case and force as much air as possible through the graphics card.

Hmmm well the HAF X stands for high air flow - this case is specifically designed for air circulation. I suppose the idea of the tops fans would also to suck rising heat out of the top while the cool air blows in from the side and front.

Here's a picture of the airflow
    http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/HAFX_ProuctHighlight_r2_0607.jpg

Now if you look at the setup I have you will see there is no room for the VGA fan.

Each card blows heat out the back and front. The heat from the back is obviously going directly out the back of the case. The air from the back is blowing directly towards the front fan and the first card is blowing heat that is getting out through one of the vents at the front. You can also feel heat if you put your hands at the top where the exhaust fans are extracting.

I tried switching off the fan on the front of the case and that made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

So the cards have their own fans, right? These things usually take air from inside the case and blow it out of the case through the back. If hot air is blowing back into the case that seems wrong, because the warm air will then be drawn back into the fan and reduce the cooling effect. The whole idea is to get the hot air out of the case as directly as possible.

Maybe your graphics card is different though? But I doubt it.

Another approach: Is there any way a pci slot fan could be added? The point of this, again, is to get the hot air out of the case as directly as possible.

I would still try reducing the speed of the top fan if that is possible or turning it off and see if that makes any difference.

PS: I was reading more about this case, and it sounds quite something. I would ring the manufacturer and see what they say.

Advertisement