Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent, negotiable or not??

Options
  • 08-07-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

So will be moving from my current location in August. Saw a place thats exactly what im looking for but 100 (150 really) over my budget. Is rent negotiable at all or is it basically take it as its advertised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Absolutely negotiable. Depending on type of accommodation or local demand and how long the landlord has been without a tenant, an offer or about 10% below th advertised price may well be accepted these days. Compare the advertised rent of your target place and similar places in the area - if it is high then that is definitely negotiating ammunition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You'd be insane not to negotiate........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I got €100 off the price of the advertised rent after negotiations. It was reduced from €900 to €800. It helped that the letting agent accidentally told me the house was previously leased at €800.

Also see can you figure out how long the property has been on the market. The longer the property has been vacant the more likely the landlord is open to negotiations.

They way it worked with me was I made an offer of €800 they came back with a counter offer of €850. I told them I was sticking with €800 in light of the information they had let slip and the fact the property had been vacant for 3/4 months. They finally accepted my offer.

Ask plenty of questions you never know what valuable information you can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

If the property is advertised on daft.ie, you can download a program (propertybee - recently updated and working again) that tracks changes made to the price since the date it was first advertised. We negotiated our new house down from 1,000 to 850. When propertybee started working again, I found out the property had originally been advertised at 1,200, and found out from a different local estate agent that the previous tenant had rented it for 900. Daft landlord looking for higher rent in these times! I'm very glad we negotiated though, I figure he was just widening his negotiation position by putting a higher price out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Negotiated 50 quid off our rent with no hassle :)

It was only a few hours on the market - If it had been on longer, we would've tried for 100 off - but it was a lovely place, and we wanted it right then and there.

ALWAYS negotiate. If they say no, then screw them. There's plenty of places, and there's no reason to pay over the odds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

@ frank spencer.

looks to me like they got exactly the price they wanted off you, and you just played right into their hands!

you should have offered 700, and probably would have gotten it for little more!

they intentionally upped the price to account for haggling! live and learn!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I rang the agent regarding a place we really loved and said we were willing to pay 800. (from nine) that was 3 days ago and havent heard back. The apartment is still up on daft for 900. Presuming the LL is holding out for asking.

ah well, back to the drawing board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

have recently rented a stunning house for 525 (country prices), the landlord wanted 550.not much of a discount but its petrol money for one week the way i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

oh to be renting in the country!!! This apartment hunting lark is torture! i'd up my budget if I knew I was going to be working for the full year!

Advertisement