Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conf call to customer's internal VOIP system

• 08-07-2011 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I have a video conference call to make with a client who has supplied me with an IP address to call to. I can browse to the IP, and am prompted for a username/pw

Is there some generic IP calling software that I can use to do this call, with video?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Use something like Polycom PVX

http://www.polycom.com/forms/pvx_trial_sw.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bw wrote: »
    I have a video conference call to make with a client who has supplied me with an IP address to call to. I can browse to the IP, and am prompted for a username/pw

Is there some generic IP calling software that I can use to do this call, with video?

I suspect it depends on what the client has set up ..... I can be called using any SIP client at my IP address ..... the IP address can be replaced by a DynDNS URI if required - such as if the IP address is dynamic .... the format of the SIP address would be ...

SIP: user@<ip address>

I regularly communicate with others in this manner .... it uses no VOIP provider but is a direct connection.

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I suspect it depends on what the client has set up ..... I can be called using any SIP client at my IP address ..... the IP address can be replaced by a DynDNS URI if required - such as if the IP address is dynamic .... the format of the SIP address would be ...

SIP: user@<ip address>

I regularly communicate with others in this manner .... it uses no VOIP provider but is a direct connection.

regards.

I downloaded a SIP client this morning, Egika (for Lunix) and it seems to be the kind of client I need.

I could not call through to the IP address provided to me. There was an Echo Test already added in the software, I tried it, it seemed to dial, wait about 20 seconds, then said Call completed. The URI was sip:500@ekiga.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bw wrote: »
    I downloaded a SIP client this morning, Egika (for Lunix) and it seems to be the kind of client I need.

I could not call through to the IP address provided to me. There was an Echo Test already added in the software, I tried it, it seemed to dial, wait about 20 seconds, then said Call completed. The URI was sip:500@ekiga.net

The Ekiga echo test will repeat whatever you say and in this way to can judge the delay as well as confirm your hardware is working correctly.

If your client has set up a SIP account at the IP address you mentioned then they will need to give you their SIP address -- in the same form as the one you used for the Ekiga echo test.

I don't know that they have a SIP set up .... you have not said.

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

To be honest, I don't know if they have SIP set up. I was just given an IP address, and nothing else. They have some Citrix-owned VC solution, but I can't remember the name of it.

I need to try the Egika Echo test again, as it wasn't working.

I'll contact them again, and hopefully they can help out a little more. If I get any further info I'll post here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement