Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre recommendation

• 08-07-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi Guys been commuting to work this week 30km round trip on my new shiny road bike . The roads im on are not great mainly back roads with an inconsistent surface with pot holes thrown in for fun. Last night the front tyre blew (not to far from home thankfully!) . Anyway just wondering does anyone have any recommendations an a good qualtiy tyre I could go for . My current ones are Schwalbe Lugano 25x622 which came with the bike. Also if I want it repaired can it be done if so is it cheap? I was only on my third day of using the bike and had just clocked a 100km so maybe these tyres aint up to the job?

Cheers
    from a novice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When you say "the front tyre blew", what exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Lumen wrote: »
    When you say "the front tyre blew", what exactly do you mean?

Went over a very small pot hole but was psuhing hard at the time so would have had a bit of went leaning on the front wheel. The tyre hasnt got a big hole in it just a small slice in it.

rocco wrote: »
    Went over a very small pot hole but was psuhing hard at the time so would have had a bit of went leaning on the front wheel. The tyre hasnt got a big hole in it just a small slice in it.

It is unusual to damage a nearly new tyre on a small pothole. Normally you'd just get a pinch flat (snake bite) on the inner tube, but then only if the pressure in your tyres is too low.

What tyre pressure are you running? Should be around 90-110psi front and 100-120 rear.

If you don't have a track pump with a gauge, buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I (and a lot of others here) use Continental GP4000 tyres. They're a pretty good allrounder. You might find them a bit pricey though, depending on your intended usage.

What tyre pressure are you running? Should be around 90-110psi front and 100-120 rear.

Thks Lumen , I got the bike in Cycle Superstore so hopefully they had the configuration correct on the tyres, I never measure this myself , but I will invest in the pump as you recommended. Ill drop the tyre in over the weekend to be repaired and see how I get on next week, hopefully I was just unlucky.

Thanks agaim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Lemag wrote: »
    I (and a lot of others here) use Continental GP4000 tyres. They're a pretty good allrounder. You might find them a bit pricey though, depending on your intended usage.

I've used Hutchinson, Vittoria Diamante Pro's and currently using Conti GP4000s and the conti's are far superior IMO. Well worth the little extra €.

Two of the best bike accessories: a track pump and a bike stand.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    ;)

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I've used Hutchinson, Vittoria Diamante Pro's and currently using Conti GP4000s and the conti's are far superior IMO. Well worth the little extra €.

This be them lads - http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=165&idproduct=18943 ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've continental hardshells on my commuting wheels - one puncture (yesterday!) in nearly six months and several thousand km of riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Thks Lumen , I got the bike in Cycle Superstore so hopefully they had the configuration correct on the tyres, I never measure this myself , but I will invest in the pump as you recommended.
    Investing in a pump is a good call, as while the tyre pressures may have been fine when you left the shop, that's not to say that they haven't decreased since - tyres and tubes leak air over time, especially when you are talking about the pressures in a road bike set. If I haven't been out in a week or 2, I will always top up the pressure in my tyres before going out.
    Ill drop the tyre in over the weekend to be repaired and see how I get on next week, hopefully I was just unlucky.

Thanks agaim

If the actual tyre is damaged, rather than the tube, then I would think it's unlikely you will get it repaired, especially if there's a hole big enough for the tube to bulge through. If the damage is in the sidewall, definitely bin it. Besides, Luganos are among the cheapest of the Schwalbe tyres, and a new one should be well under 20 quid. Now this is not meant to be disparaging of the tyres, as I run other cheap Schwalbe tyres (blizzard sports), and they've been decent enough to me, with only 2 punctures in the space of a year - one was a cut in the sidewall that likely would have happened to almost any more expensive tyre (I'd have been even more pissed then!), and the other I couldn't pin down the exact cause, but it happened on the home stretch of the WW100 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ill drop the tyre in over the weekend to be repaired

Can you get your tyre repaired at the LBS?

rocco, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, you do understand the difference between a tyre and an inner tube, right?

Tyres cannot be repaired, unless you count supergluing the cuts closed as repair. Also, punctures through the tyre do not require repair - you just patch or change the tube, remove the offending object (if there is one) and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

bearing in mind the type of roads you cycle on i would highly recommend 2 types of tyre, both of which i use and have put up thousands of miles on with feck all flats.
    continental GP 4 seasons, roughly €35 online. 2 flats in almost 4000 miles.
    michelin krylion carbon, €26 online. still fingers crossed after 1000 miles.
    BTW the conti's hardly have any signs of wear on them yet!

rocco, at the risk of insulting your intelligence, you do understand the difference between a tyre and an inner tube, right?
    When it comes to intelligence regarding bikes , I take no offence :P , and yes I do understand the difference between a tube and a tyre....

Tyres cannot be repaired, unless you count supergluing the cuts closed as repair. Also, punctures through the tyre do not require repair - you just patch or change the tube, remove the offending object (if there is one) and that's it.

When it comes to intelligence regarding bikes , I take no offence :P , and yes I do understand the difference between a tube and a tyre....

The tyre is slightly damaged from my very brief inspection last night it has a tear of about 1cm in it (not on the wall) . So im guessing the tyre is for the bin from these comments ?

I went down to cycle superstore and they advised me to go for the continental gatorskins and go from a 23 to a 25 in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've found gatorskins to be a bit "slippy" and prone to loss of grip - not as bad as armadillos, but they do be a bit skittery for my liking. However, in terms of puncture resistance I would have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

The tyre is slightly damaged from my very brief inspection last night it has a tear of about 1cm in it (not on the wall) . So im guessing the tyre is for the bin from these comments ?

I went down to cycle superstore and they advised me to go for the continental gatorskins and go from a 23 to a 25 in size.

Yeah, if the tear goes all the way through to the tube, as opposed to being a nick in the outer surface of the rubber, bin it. Every bit of stone, dirt, glass and grit can get in through that, and your tube will keep puncturing, if it doesn't already bulge out. In theory there are ways to patch this from the inside, but they are generally only a temporary "get me home" measure. I had to do this from Naas to Maynooth one day, and I was paranoid the whole way as the patch was pushed out through the hole in the tyre by the pressure of the tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've found gatorskins to be a bit "slippy" and prone to loss of grip - not as bad as armadillos, but they do be a bit skittery for my liking. However, in terms of puncture resistance I would have no complaints.

I'm very happy on the gatorskins. They take a little wearing in but after that no bother. Lots of slashes in mine now but few punctures.

Incidentally, how do I tell when my gators are worn out? Do lumps of rubber have to start falling off or just the fabric start to show through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Vittoria Randonneurs? Also come in a 25c. Grippy rubber and a lot of it, but still roll very well.
    Couriers swear by them, that's 8 hours a day on city streets so a fairly good testament.
    Gatorskins also very good, but quite a bit more expensive than the Randonneurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

It is unusual to damage a nearly new tyre on a small pothole. Normally you'd just get a pinch flat (snake bite) on the inner tube, but then only if the pressure in your tyres is too low.

Can i but in with a quick question here? I have a foot pump that cost 40 euro and i am not sure it is showing the correct pressure. Is it possible to pump the tyre too much or would it be too hard to pump. I am a girl with embarrasingly weak strength!! Especially when it comes to putting tyres back on rims.

• Advertisement

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Can i but in with a quick question here? I have a foot pump that cost 40 euro and i am not sure it is showing the correct pressure. Is it possible to pump the tyre too much or would it be too hard to pump. I am a girl with embarrasingly weak strength!! Especially when it comes to putting tyres back on rims.
    It doesn't require more strength to pump a tyre up too much with a track pump. If you keep pumping it will explode :eek: If you can, compare the pressure readings from your pump with that of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Lemag wrote: »
    It doesn't require more strength to pump a tyre up too much with a track pump. If you keep pumping it will explode :eek: If you can, compare the pressure readings from your pump with that of another.

Mmmm i am thinking maybe pump was not on right becausei found it really hard to pump. It always looked soft as in flattened slightly when i leaned on it.

Advertisement