Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take for incoming calls to ring on your phone?

• 08-07-2011 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

When you call your own voip number from another phone, how long from when you dial the number to when you get a ringing tone and the phone rings on your desk?

I've been testing my new Goldfish number and it takes 19 seconds - that's 19 seconds with a dead line waiting for something to happen. Shocking and completely unusable. I know this isn't normal, as I have a second voip number with a UK company that rings in a fraction of that time.

Is this standard for Goldfish? And is there anything that can be done to speed things up?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

When you call your own voip number from another phone, how long from when you dial the number to when you get a ringing tone and the phone rings on your desk?

I've been testing my new Goldfish number and it takes 19 seconds - that's 19 seconds with a dead line waiting for something to happen. Shocking and completely unusable. I know this isn't normal, as I have a second voip number with a UK company that rings in a fraction of that time.

Is this standard for Goldfish? And is there anything that can be done to speed things up?

Well, you'll really need to ring Goldfish (01-5547888) to get it sorted. A mobile will take longer to connect then a land line. Have you tried a land line and see how long it takes. It takes around 2 seconds for me with a landline..

Good luck! Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

It is a landline I'm using.

It is a landline I'm using.

Sorry, I meant, it takes 2 around seconds to forward a call from a goldfish number to a land line-regardless of the device your phoning from. It would take longer to call a mobile as the connection time is more.

Hope this helps.

I'm talking about the reverse. Dialing out only takes a second, but with someone dialing me it takes a heck of a long time before my voip phone rings.

I'm talking about the reverse. Dialing out only takes a second, but with someone dialing me it takes a heck of a long time before my voip phone rings.

Hmm, now you say iP phone, So to confirm?:

Try 1: You have a goldfish line 012345678, you set it up to ring extn 1000 for 30 seconds and go to voicemail.

Configure your ip device to 1000 and ring it from a different phone. It shouldn't take long. It will ring two beeps and then connect and ring your device to check for a fax signal.

Try 2: configure your goldfish number 012345678 to ring 0871234567 and hangup.

Ring it and see how long it takes? If its long try and configure it to ring a landline 012345678 and hangup. If the landline is slow, there is definitely something seriously wrong! If its the same everytime with both tries, you will need to contact goldfish

Is the device properly setup? As it may be slow with ip phone and fast via landline also..

Good luck!

• Advertisement

The plot thickens.

It turns out that if I call the voip number from an O2 mobile, it rings almost straight away, but calling it from a Digiweb landline, it takes 19 seconds. So the problem is clearly not the phone or the configuration, it's somewhere in the interaction between my landline and Goldfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

The plot thickens.

It turns out that if I call the voip number from an O2 mobile, it rings almost straight away, but calling it from a Digiweb landline, it takes 19 seconds. So the problem is clearly not the phone or the configuration, it's somewhere in the interaction between my landline and Goldfish.

Are you sure it's a Digiweb landline, and not Metro you have?

Yeah, it's a landline, not metro. I've just been on to Goldfish support and they knew about the general problem (others have reported it, etc.), but the didn't sound that optimistic about fixing it - "We'll log a support ticket..."

The kicker is, Goldfish's number is in the same voip block and it has the same problem - 19 seconds to connect. So I'd suggest that anyone using Goldfish runs a few incoming test calls from landlines.

Advertisement