Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting tillage land

• 08-07-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Thinking of renting land for tillage. Already grow 100 acres on my own ground. Have sfp and reps 4 on that. Have combine with 18 ft header six shaker. Hav 21 metre sprayer and fert spreader. No plough but 5 or 6k would get me a 4 furrow rev. Need a sower. Have 130 hp tractor. Problem is that I Hav no more entitlements. Reason for combine is that I cut aprox 350 acres. Fed up of waiting for guys to cut and others cutting corn when it is not ripe (bad for combine ie crimpling). I think this will give me more control of my work.
    Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

do you see a potential net margin on rented ground over 5year lease minus necessary investment

am fond of the direct tilling techniques for establishment but it requires quite a bit of careful thought to get it right. expect to plough all year 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Jollyone wrote: »
    Thinking of renting land for tillage. Already grow 100 acres on my own ground. Have sfp and reps 4 on that. Have combine with 18 ft header six shaker. Hav 21 metre sprayer and fert spreader. No plough but 5 or 6k would get me a 4 furrow rev. Need a sower. Have 130 hp tractor. Problem is that I Hav no more entitlements. Reason for combine is that I cut aprox 350 acres. Fed up of waiting for guys to cut and others cutting corn when it is not ripe (bad for combine ie crimpling). I think this will give me more control of my work.
    Opinions please.

Would you be thinking of renting some of the ground you already have the cutting of or would the it be extra?

How do you manage for ploughing and sowing at the moment? Would you be thinking of winter or spring crops, cereals or OSR? How good are your own agronomy skills, do you walk your own crops and decide on your own inputs or do you take a "package" from some merchant?

Will you be able to finance the cashflow aspects of extra land, if you haven't the cash to hand do you have a bank manager or (god forbid) a merchant willing to advance you the credit?

How much would the land cost? Is someone else giving it up because it doesn't perform or do you intend to outbid someone else? How far from you is it?

How much per acre are you making from your own land ATM? would that cover the rent and something for your work? In a bad year? If fert goes up more or/and the price of cereals goes down? Do you forward sell any of your crops? Would you if you could lock in some profit from the rented land?

Sorry for all the questions but these are the things you need to consider, getting your sums wrong on extra land can turn into an expensive mistake if things turn against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Definitely go down the route of DD, its a great learning curve. I must up my arable area next year aswell unfortunately due to the restrictions of the nitrates directive (need more acres due to N limit) so I may as well grow more corn even if it doesn't make economic since per acre but it on a whole farm basis is does which is the important factor

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jollyone

What machinery u using. And what is the procedure?
    Definitely go down the route of DD, its a great learning curve. I must up my arable area next year aswell unfortunately due to the restrictions of the nitrates directive (need more acres due to N limit) so I may as well grow more corn even if it doesn't make economic since per acre but it on a whole farm basis is does which is the important factor

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jollyone

Combine pays for the ploughing and sowing. But sometimes things don't work as well as I would like. Looks like foward selling will work this year if u sold in may/June. Merchant will probably give credit on seed and fert( I do push them on price ie sulpha can at 310 per ton in feb this year for harvest payment) . Chemical wise I have some idea what to use but I do get an agronomist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement