Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email outgoing server problems Irishbroadband

Options
  • 08-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    I am using Outlook 2010. Windows 7.
    Eircom email address and Irishbroadband (satelite) is ISP.
    A couple of weeks ago some emails would not send from Outlook. These were returned with error code 550 - something to do with smtp settings. This is still the case.

Outlook is set up for:
    Incoming mail server : webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server: smtp.irishbroadband.ie

This always worked as is but is now causing sending problems for two Eircom email accounts set up in Outlook.
    2 to 3 hours have been spent on the phone with technical support trying to fix this. €20 later and no solution. IBB technical support is pretty bad.
    It looks like it could be any of a number of problems. Anyone got any ideas or have a similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Definitely not a Servers&Systems topic, moved to Broadband in case it's a known issue; but honestly, I think IBB tech support are still your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since it's eircom mail accounts that are the problem, and you're on a IBB Internet connection, my guess would be that eircom have changed something, or IBB are stopping non IBB mail addresses from using the outgoing server.

If you Google search you can see some interesting suggestions, including this one, which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Having the specific error message would be very helpful. Code 550 is pretty generic, but the accompanying text would explain more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clarebuyer

Thanks for the replies. The following is an error message received after email bounced back. I've replaced the email address in the error message with name.name for privacy purposes:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
    Subject: email check
    Sent: 07/07/2011 19:17
    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
    name.name@lit.ie on 07/07/2011 19:17
    Server error: '550 Administrative prohibition'

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

clarebuyer wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The following is an error message received after email bounced back. I've replaced the email address in the error message with name.name for privacy purposes:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
    Subject: email check
    Sent: 07/07/2011 19:17
    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
    name.name@lit.ie on 07/07/2011 19:17
    Server error: '550 Administrative prohibition'

Sounds to me like the receiving mail server at "lit.ie" doesn't like the originating server - smtp.irishbroadband.ie. This maybe because it is listed on this blacklist - http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a62.231.32.43

I'm not sure that blacklist would be used by LIT though. Irish BB should be able to look at their mail logs and say exactly why the mail was returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 clarebuyer

You are right. I just got the reply below from Irish Broadband support yesterday.
    "This error is due to our email server being blacklisted by a 3rd party spam monitor. Unfortunately the server was listed as spamming - this happens with all public email servers from time to time as abuse of the server is hard to deal with until it has already happened.

This was escalated to our Network operations centre yesterday and should be working again shortly."

They weren't able to tell me that though when I spent a few hours on the phone to them a couple of weeks ago.
    Problem is now resolved. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement