Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heinz Pig 'n' Porter 2011

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    So anybody running a festival has to run it by "Limerick" first?

Why don't you give Limerick a call and put your ideas to it.

Sigh... might explain why there are no decent festivals.
    Catch15 wrote: »
    I think 4,000 people would argue against the festival being called 'obscure'. If your partying needs are not being catered for then I suggest you bring your own ideas to the table and not have a swipe at people who clearly put a lot of effort into what is now permanent a fixture in the sporting calendar.

Is 4,000 supposed to be impressive? Waterford hosted a tall ships race which managed to attract well over 500,000 people. Galway pulls festivals out of its arse, with three major festivals over the next few weeks which will attract at least 100,000 people with the Races alone, not to mention the Arts Festival and Oyster Festival.

Is a tent in a field with a pig and some tag rugby really the best you've got? People have more to offer at a communion party.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

BESman wrote: »
    Is 4,000 supposed to be impressive? Waterford hosted a tall ships race which managed to attract well over 500,000 people. Galway pulls festivals out of its arse, with three major festivals over the next few weeks which will attract at least 100,000 people with the Races alone, not to mention the Arts Festival and Oyster Festival.

Is a tent in a field with a pig and some tag rugby really the best you've got? People have more to offer at a communion party.

When you come up with something to attract those numbers to Limerick then you will have grounds to criticize the tent in the field. Just another case of someone trying to rain on other peoples parade, teams came from as far as Toulouse, France to take part so hats off to the PnP crew in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

If 500,000 people atteneded the event where would they play the actual rugby? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Flesh that one out a bit there for me like a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Besman has a point, although I do think the PnP is a great little event. More festivals etc need to be organised for Limerick City to attract more visitors. Galway is absolutely thriving because there seems to be some sort of festival or event on pretty much once a month. Riverfest, Mardi Gras (Despite its faults), and the Pig n Porter are a good start but more is needed. Maybe an events committee or office needs to be setup to look into this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Besman has a point, although I do think the PnP is a great little event. More festivals etc need to be organised for Limerick City to attract more visitors. Galway is absolutely thriving because there seems to be some sort of festival or event on pretty much once a month. Riverfest, Mardi Gras (Despite its faults), and the Pig n Porter are a good start but more is needed. Maybe an events committee or office needs to be setup to look into this?

Isn't that what the Limerick co-ordination office is suppose to try and achieve? could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

styer wrote: »
    Isn't that what the Limerick co-ordination office is suppose to try and achieve? could be wrong...

Its to get their mugs on the local newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

styer wrote: »

Don't think so, this info was taken from their website:

The Limerick Communications Office works with partners across the city to promote its key attributes, raise its profile and enhance and inform perceptions.
    Limerick has a very solid foundation from which to promote its undoubted attractions. The goal is to communicate and showcase the city’s core strengths and bring them to a wider audience.
    Raising a positive profile of Limerick will impact on the local economy, our image and encourage more people to visit the city and experience all that is good about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Flesh that one out a bit there for me like a good lad.

Instead of adding to the point, you took the lame position of questioning the use of Limerick in my post. By Limerick, I am referring to the wider community, the Councils, etc. who appear to have very little ideas in the way of festivals and events to attract people back into the city in the same way that Galway, Cork and Waterford do.

Now you might add an opinion like a good lad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you want to bicker, use the PM function, not on thread, if you have a problem with a post, report it. Also, try not to be condescending to each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Instead of adding to the point, you took the lame position of questioning the use of Limerick in my post. By Limerick, I am referring to the wider community, the Councils, etc. who appear to have very little ideas in the way of festivals and events to attract people back into the city in the same way that Galway, Cork and Waterford do.

Now you might add an opinion like a good lad.

But when a sporting club takes it upon themselves to organise a fairly big event you are very quick to run them down?
    The Tall Ships was a once off for Waterford. Waterford doesn't have much else going for it in terms of drawing a crowd to the city, no proper stadiums, no concert venue etc.

I'd agree more could be done in Limerick, especially surrounding the very lame Riverfest, but running down existing festivals doesn't encourage people to go out and create new ones. Galway is in a league of it's own when it comes to festivals and really is the bench mark for others cities to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

The tag competion took place over a number of weeks, the car park seemed quite busy every night i passed with multiple teams playing on the pitches and many more watching, certainly for all of July.

I attended on the last night (really just for the session) and had a fantastic time, i thought it was very very well run. When i stumbled out to get a taxi home at 12.30 there were still people arriving from town.

Well done lads and feck the begrudgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

And we are the European City of Sport for 2011....so I think it was very fitting!! If people are complaining there's no arts/film/food festivals, go about organising one!!

Advertisement