Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman finance

Options
  • 08-07-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

anyone any experience with harvey norman's quick finance option?

it seems to be a complete lottery as the response comes back within 5 seconds once you enter your details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's expensive are you able to get money cheaper somewhere else?, a credit card with a free interest option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The 12 month option is interest free

But it seems like pot luck whether you are approved. Even the seller said 80% do not get approved.

It seems like nothing more than a gimmick to get people through the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

80% of people might be a risk, not everyone is going to be approved for any kind of credit.
    12mts free is good, Try your luck, if not head down the interest free credit card route.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

More of a personal finance question - therefore moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Harvey Norman are a joke for finance. 2 years ago i decided to buy a new bed and said shag it id do it on finance.

Sat down at the salesmans desk in the middle of the shop and he took all my details and then said i was refused because my vredit rating was too high risk. i knew for a fact that my credit was perfect but he said the system says your high risk.

I left the shop and went to icb.ie (irish credit bureau) and paid the 6 quid for my report. got it and couldnt see any problem so i rang the ICB and the girl went through my report and said my rating was perfect and i was not risky at all.

I arranged to meet the manager for HN and chewed him out of it and showed him the report. he was mortified and apologised and gave me over €1000 off the price of the bed.

I would never use them for credit i would much rather go to the credit union if i was you and deal with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

bungler wrote: »
    Harvey Norman are a joke for finance. 2 years ago i decided to buy a new bed and said shag it id do it on finance.

Sat down at the salesmans desk in the middle of the shop and he took all my details and then said i was refused because my vredit rating was too high risk. i knew for a fact that my credit was perfect but he said the system says your high risk.

I left the shop and went to icb.ie (irish credit bureau) and paid the 6 quid for my report. got it and couldnt see any problem so i rang the ICB and the girl went through my report and said my rating was perfect and i was not risky at all.

I arranged to meet the manager for HN and chewed him out of it and showed him the report. he was mortified and apologised and gave me over €1000 off the price of the bed.

I would never use them for credit i would much rather go to the credit union if i was you and deal with them

I smell bull****. First of all, finance and the decision on finance is given by an outside credit agency, nothing to do with Harvey Norman. All they do is input yr details into the finance company's system.

Secondly, when a decision is given, it is just a yes or no. No other information is given, such as yr "credit rating being high risk".

And i doubt a manager would have given you €1k off a bed, just because ICB said yr credit rating was fine. As i said, credit decision's are not up to him. I've had many people declined for finance, some people kick up a stink, some don't, but at the end of the day, they are told the same thing, its not our decision, the decision of the finance company is their own to make, and Harvey Norman have no influence over it.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I smell bull****. First of all, finance and the decision on finance is given by an outside credit agency, nothing to do with Harvey Norman. All they do is input yr details into the finance company's system.

Secondly, when a decision is given, it is just a yes or no. No other information is given, such as yr "credit rating being high risk".

And i doubt a manager would have given you €1k off a bed, just because ICB said yr credit rating was fine. As i said, credit decision's are not up to him. I've had many people declined for finance, some people kick up a stink, some don't, but at the end of the day, they are told the same thing, its not our decision, the decision of the finance company is their own to make, and Harvey Norman have no influence over it.

You can smell your aftershave all you want pal.

I was declined credit and when i asked the rep why, he explained its usually done to your credit risk being high. Why on earth would i make that up? Are you also trying to tell me that every rep in the world just say yes or no and none of them ever say anything else? Because if you think that is the case i can confirm that, that is bull****.

I understand that the credit company is independant to HN but at the end of the day HN choose which company to go with and if they choose a company who is giving in correct information it is up to them to sort it out or find another company.

I did recieve 1k off the bed as the manager was well of where that i spend quite a bit of money in his store because i have fitted out 3 houses from HN so he cut a deal with me as it was obviously in his best interest. To be honest i couldnt give a toss if you beleive me or not but that is fact as to what happened. I have read other post from you regarding HN and you have said "Better to have your money going into our till than someone else's. " this is the stance that the manager took which has worked wonders because he told me from then on to only deal with him personally and things have been great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

bungler wrote: »
    You can smell your aftershave all you want pal.

I was declined credit and when i asked the rep why, he explained its usually done to your credit risk being high. Why on earth would i make that up? Are you also trying to tell me that every rep in the world just say yes or no and none of them ever say anything else? Because if you think that is the case i can confirm that, that is bull****.

I understand that the credit company is independant to HN but at the end of the day HN choose which company to go with and if they choose a company who is giving in correct information it is up to them to sort it out or find another company.

I did recieve 1k off the bed as the manager was well of where that i spend quite a bit of money in his store because i have fitted out 3 houses from HN so he cut a deal with me as it was obviously in his best interest. To be honest i couldnt give a toss if you beleive me or not but that is fact as to what happened. I have read other post from you regarding HN and you have said "Better to have your money going into our till than someone else's. " this is the stance that the manager took which has worked wonders because he told me from then on to only deal with him personally and things have been great.

In yr first post, you said the salesman told you the system said yr credit risk was too high, thats why i was calling BS. If it was just his opinion he was giving you, then i can understand it.

As for the credit company giving incorrect information, that is another issue. Most credit companies will perform a check with the ICB for reference, but will use a more strict marking system to determine whether they believe you will be able to pay the debt. Thats not the same as giving incorrect information.

As for the €1k off the bed, the impression i got from yr first post was that yr blowout at the manager bullied him into giving the discount, which is what i found hard to believe. If you've been a good customer to him and felt aggrieved that yr application for finance had been incorrectly declined, then yes, i can understand the discount. It an amount i've rarely seen afforded, but i can understand.

As for my comment about "better in our till than someone else's", that i stand by, within reason. If someone is being stuipid with an offer, then no. But for the most part, if it means keeping a customer happy, then yes, happy to oblige.

Apologies for any offense taken by the original post.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    In yr first post, you said the salesman told you the system said yr credit risk was too high, thats why i was calling BS. If it was just his opinion he was giving you, then i can understand it.

As for the credit company giving incorrect information, that is another issue. Most credit companies will perform a check with the ICB for reference, but will use a more strict marking system to determine whether they believe you will be able to pay the debt. Thats not the same as giving incorrect information.

As for the €1k off the bed, the impression i got from yr first post was that yr blowout at the manager bullied him into giving the discount, which is what i found hard to believe. If you've been a good customer to him and felt aggrieved that yr application for finance had been incorrectly declined, then yes, i can understand the discount. It an amount i've rarely seen afforded, but i can understand.

As for my comment about "better in our till than someone else's", that i stand by, within reason. If someone is being stuipid with an offer, then no. But for the most part, if it means keeping a customer happy, then yes, happy to oblige.

Apologies for any offense taken by the original post.

Thanks for that i also apologise for getting a bit narky and for not outlining more info in my first post. Cheers pal

Advertisement