Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in Window - 98 Knaus

• 08-07-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi All
    Just back from first trip abroad in our camper...3 weeks in France..Heaven..Anyway after we came back on Monday, it was raining heavily that evening and luckily I had to go out to the camper for something and saw water streaming in the window:eek:
    Couldn't think of anywhere to store it under a roof, so moved it to the father in laws and parked up as close to wall as I could to minimise exposure to the rain...
    On inspecting it the next day we noticed a little piece missing from the side of the window. I have attached two pics one of the piece intact on the other side of the window, and one of piece missing. I am thinking that the water is streaming in here and there seems to be a gap with this gone.
    I have contacted a motorhome dealer and he has told me that part could be 6-8 weeks coming :eek:
    So does anyone know where I could get that piece or am I barking up a totally wrong tree with it.
    I know it could be sealant also, so my question there is....Is there specific type of sealer for camper windows ???
    Thanks for any help guys...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I thought these were for aesthetics but will probably be corrected on this. You could run a piece of tape along the top gap to temporary seal it and determine if it is the problem. There is usually a good seal around the frame that the window closes against so check that first and give it a good clean.
    I suspect the French sun may have dried out the seals between the body and window frame which may be allowing the water in. If this is the case it can be sealed with Sikaflex512 or Wurth sealant. First clean both surfaces and masking tape both the frame and the body leaving a 5mm gap on each surface and then apply the sealer, remove the masking tape to leave nice straight lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

bellucio wrote: »
    Hi All
    Just back from first trip abroad in our camper...3 weeks in France..Heaven..Anyway after we came back on Monday, it was raining heavily that evening and luckily I had to go out to the camper for something and saw water streaming in the window:eek:
    Couldn't think of anywhere to store it under a roof, so moved it to the father in laws and parked up as close to wall as I could to minimise exposure to the rain...
    On inspecting it the next day we noticed a little piece missing from the side of the window. I have attached two pics one of the piece intact on the other side of the window, and one of piece missing. I am thinking that the water is streaming in here and there seems to be a gap with this gone.
    I have contacted a motorhome dealer and he has told me that part could be 6-8 weeks coming :eek:
    So does anyone know where I could get that piece or am I barking up a totally wrong tree with it.
    I know it could be sealant also, so my question there is....Is there specific type of sealer for camper windows ???
    Thanks for any help guys...

them black bits are just to stop the window sliding sideways on its hinge-ing rail . If indeed it is the seal , the proper way to do it is to remove the window , scrape off the old , bad sealer and refit the window with Wurth or SikaFlex sealer . I use Wurth Bond and Seal , I find it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    them black bits are just to stop the window sliding sideways on its hinge-ing rail . If indeed it is the seal , the proper way to do it is to remove the window , scrape off the old , bad sealer and refit the window with Wurth or SikaFlex sealer . I use Wurth Bond and Seal , I find it brilliant.
    Sending you a PM Aidan

Advertisement