Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public lectures for the "lay person"?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Supposing one were to have a weekly series of, say, 6 (independent) half hour public lectures of an afternoon aimed at random passers-by - what topics would people be interested in? Preferably avoiding religion, politics, philosophy, and similar bs..

One would be armed solely with a whiteboard and marker, and you'd have to catch and keep the attention of random people walking past, who presumably have no expertise in the area which you are lecturing on.

I'd be from a largely mathematical background, so everyday applications of simple mathematics, or interesting but simple mathematics would probably be what I'd be best able for, but we were also considering stuff like a talk on the proper usage of "there", "their" and "they're" and where to use apostrophes etc - which may sound patronising, granted, but some people could definitely benefit from attending. Or a lecture on how to change a plug, or similar.

So - what topics might people be interested in attending a lecture on?
    And would any of you be interested in giving such a lecture?

There'd be no money involved, just an afternoon in the sun (if the weather cops itself on) and sharing some knowledge with others...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

This sounds interesting... it's like TED meets busking. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most cities have walking tours

Does such a thing exist in Galway? Start in Eyre Sq and tell about the old days and cattle dealers doing their business. Go around the sites like tell the story of the hanging at Lynch's Castle. The plaque to Christopher Columbus. The Church where Cromwells troops trashed and put their horses. Nuns Island where one of the clocks was blocked out of spite.
    Look across to the Claddagh and tell some stories, it's rich in history even if it was a very poor area, you can finish here

You could run in it a small area, not so much walking

If this doesn't already exist, could be an opportunity to make some cash. Even a student could put this together for a summer job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm fairly sure there are both walking tours and bus tours of that ilk in the city.

I thought I'd spotted a gap in the market :(

But start anyway and undercut them! Worth a try OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

All im picturing is the Life of Brian.

• Advertisement

"How corrective lenses work" might be a decent one...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How to park responsibly: a photographic essay
    How not to litter
    Manners:an introduction
    Manners: Part I, II, III, IV
    How to protest effectively
    Query your tax dollars being spent
    You and An Garda: your rights :)

snubbleste wrote: »
    How to protest effectively
    Query your tax dollars being spent
    You and An Garda: your rights :)

I'm fairly sure that falls under politics...
    While the idea would provide a soapbox, in the loosest sense, we'd probably prefer to avoid the activist hippie types and so on :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mr. Price in Terryland have cheapish whiteboards and possibly non-permanent colour markers. The Spanish Arch might be a good location. Off you go..

Ordered my whiteboard online this afternoon, should arrive at the start of next week.

I was actually thinking of down near Blackrock - there are lovely lecture hall seat-style steps down to the beach over where one kicks the wall. There is a high possibility that it won't work - but it could be an interesting experiment in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

1. Money management advice, household budgets etc.
    Sort of thing MABS do.

2. Respect. Respect for environment, and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

'Wild' foods
    Basic astronomy

2. Respect. Respect for environment, and people.
    Would you stop if some randommer was trying to lecture to you about respecting people and the environment?
    inisboffin wrote: »
    'Wild' foods
    Basic astronomy
    We'll have some astronomy, aye - one of the other lads is doing a phd therein. I've no idea what aspect of astronomy yet, mind.

After some deliberation, I've decided that my first talk will be on rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

This is a seriously good idea Ficheall, I'd be well up for attending these.

Cheers, Lockstep.
    Would you be interested in giving any talks? I know it might only be history, but I'm sure some people might be interested :P

I think we're looking, at the moment, at 6 twenty minute talks followed by ten minutes' q & a from 11 until 2 of a Saturday afternoon, hopefully starting next Saturday, weather-permitting. We'd be hoping to run them from next Saturday, the 16th, to the 20th of August. People would be welcome to give one talk or several.

At the moment I'm thinking of giving talks on:
    Rice, Prime numbers, How corrective lenses work, Usage of the apostrophe, Enough Irish for tourists to get by, and some sixth which I'm sure will occur to me at some stage - possibly some nice practical applications of matrices if I can come up with a simple enough example, or some very basic probability stuff.

I'll add further info on planned talks when people confirm, provided the mods don't object.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Would love to hear from people who'd be interested in giving a talk or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Great idea, I'd love to come along (provided you can provide a rain free day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Public lectures and q&a sessions are an excellent idea, but surely religion, politics and philosophy - which you dismiss, for some reason, as 'bs' - are home to the kinds of ideas that we should be discussing on the street. I'm all in favour of rice, wild food, proper punctuation etc, but I do feel that we, like our counterparts in Athens (where, coincidentally or not, Socrates was doing this kind of thing 2,500 years ago, thereby kick-starting the history of western philosophy) have rather more pressing matters to talk about right now.

Fair enough - dismissing them as bs was probably poor phrasing - I should have said that they are open to bull****ting, and bull****able. Religion/politics/philosophy, or at least large swathes thereof, are almost entirely subjective. Everyone thinks they know about those subjects, without having done any study thereon. It's a twenty minute talk, the aim of which is to convey some information, not initiate a debate on how many arms God has etc.
    We don't want to start up massive arguments between people talking out their arses - we'd prefer it to be one-sided :P
    There are plenty of avenues, I'm sure, for "pressing matters" you might wish to discuss, such as how you would resolve the banking crisis, legalise cannabis and introduce gay marriage, but this isn't supposed to be one of them.
    Inky_Lady wrote: »
    Great idea, I'd love to come along (provided you can provide a rain free day!)

Well, we can't guarantee a rain free day, but we won't be there if it's raining, if that helps...
    Also - one of the guys is planning to give a talk on how you can predict the weather, if you wanted to catch that talk and then would know whether you wanted to risk the rain at succeeding talks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mikemac wrote: »
    Most cities have walking tours

Does such a thing exist in Galway? ... If this doesn't already exist, could be an opportunity to make some cash. Even a student could put this together for a summer job :)

There are one or two companies doing paid walking tours.

Another boardsie and I looked at setting up free (ie tips only) ones in 2009, when the economy was dire and no jobs were to be had. We came to the conclusion that the amount of time we'd have to put in to make decent-enough money was excessive.

Interestingly though, I wanted to learn Google maps as part of the research. Practised by drawing a bus route, and then another one ... and that's where www.GalwayTransport.info came from.

You never know what interesting ideas might lead to.

Further suggested talks are on on "Who was St. Patrick?" and "Memorisation techniques", "Juggling for beginners", "Reading music" and there's an awful lot of maths-based stuff, given the people organising it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How about algorithms? Something that would help people break tasks down into simple steps. It has a lot of applications, and it's easy to start with a really basic example - how to make a cup of tea. You can get audience participation with that, as most people are familiar with the idea. Demonstrate how to break things into main tasks, and subtasks.

For example, step 1 is boil water. That breaks down into fill kettle, which breaks down into turn on tap, put kettle under flowing water, turn off tap...

Operation(MakeTea):=function(...

hmm...

Aye, not a bad smaoineamh at all. Would you give said talk? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ficheall wrote: »
    Operation(MakeTea):=function(...

hmm...

Aye, not a bad smaoineamh at all. Would you give said talk? :)

Unfortunately I don't live in Galway, and not sure I'd be brave enough. I could certainly help put together a cheat sheet for the lecturer if that would help.

As well as the obvious application of code writing, task breakdowns can also be helpful for things like project management, and can be made more user friendly by having examples such as "planning a house move" or "planning a wedding".

Fair enough. Much obliged - I will drop you a pm if anyone is willing to give such a talk. We've a couple of computer scientists, so it'd be interesting to try to have them perhaps "re-apply" their thought processes to other things..

Memorization techniques is a good one. Something along the lines of Tony Buzan and Derren Brown

When I was in GMIT some guy came in for an hour and gave free talk and got us to do exercises to remember completly random things, like coat hangers, ice creams and cats. But how to link them and remember

Years and years later I still remember

Of course, he wasn't just working just for free. He was promoting his night course which I signed up. Was around 80 euro for 8 weeks, hour and a half each class.
    Reasonable price and he made some nice cash, about 15 in the class

Aye, Tony Buzan was what I was thinking. Seeing as there's only 20 minutes, it would be enough to just get people to memorise, say, a list of twenty objects, or a phone number, or somesuch.

And surely trying to make money out of it would take all the fun out of it ;)

I would be very interested in attending one of these - any idea on a location? I reckon Eyre Square, up around the fountain, would be perfect.

I think we'll try finding our feet out at Salthill (as mentioned previously ) before moving in to face the little bratty types that do hang around Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Fichaell, think this is a great idea. Will definetly be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It sounds cool to me. I'll check it out if I'm around town. Good luck with it.

Advertisement