Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Felt 4 / Cube GTC Agree / Canyon CF 8.0

• 08-07-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Having finally got back commuter cycling after a 6 year layoff, I was thinking of treating myself to some modern machinery. My budget is about €2,300 and all of the above are in that territory with Ultegra groupsets. The Canyon seems great value at €2,000 so I'm not sure if its worth paying any more given my level of fitness and 54 years on the clock. Can anyone help me make up my mind please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On the Canyon I would personally go for 7.0 or 9.0, with 50-34 chainset and 12-27 cassette, as they both come with 11sp campag.

It looks better than Ultegra and the combination of the extra rear sprocket with the compact chainrings means you get huge range without crazy gaps in the cassette.

edit: this is obviously complete overkill for commuting. I assume you'll be using it for longer cycles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Thanks for that Lumen. I was looking at Ultegra because I have some Shimano tools and have friends with others so there is no further outlay on those for home maintenance, and also Shimano spares seem to be easier to come by. I agree with the better looking bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

Hi,
    Prabably not helping here but here's another option.
    I've no experience with ribble bikes but I'm seriously considering one. You can spec the bike up with their bike builder and seem very good value for money.

I was on the verge of buying a LaPierre Xelius 700 but the Ribble stealth has realy thrown a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cloinsigh wrote: »
    Hi,
    Prabably not helping here but here's another option.
    I've no experience with ribble bikes but I'm seriously considering one. You can spec the bike up with their bike builder and seem very good value for money.

I was on the verge of buying a LaPierre Xelius 700 but the Ribble stealth has realy thrown a spanner in the works.

one word - shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

OP if you go for the Canyon Ultimate CF 7.0 as Lumen suggested the €100 will easily cover the Compag specific tools might want (cassette tool, crank wrench, anything else?). Also, during the TdF Canyon are throwing in some free stuff (computer, multi tool, bottle, bottle cages, pump, and something else I think) with the 7.0. They are not doing so with the 8.0 or the 9.0. It's a lovely bike, btw.

Regarding your point earlier about mixed groupset. Nothing wrong with it. I have a mix as do plenty of others here. Shimano, SRAM and microshift are compatible with each other but not with Compagnolo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    On the Canyon I would personally go for 7.0 or 9.0, with 50-34 chainset and 12-27 cassette, as they both come with 11sp campag.

It looks better than Ultegra and the combination of the extra rear sprocket with the compact chainrings means you get huge range without crazy gaps in the cassette.

edit: this is obviously complete overkill for commuting. I assume you'll be using it for longer cycles too.

I wouldn't buy 11 speed for commuting. Expensive spare parts, E100 cassettes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

one word - shipping

Even with shipping at €140 they are still much better value

Advertisement