Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from Eircom addresses not reaching mailbox on another domain

Options
  • 08-07-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a website hosted and recently can't receive any email that originates from eircom.net addresses.

I have tested it myself and the emails send fine from an eircom address with no bounceback but never make it to the intended destination.

Emails originating from other domains comes through fine.

I'm thinking that eircom.net is blacklisted somewhere along the way but have not got spam assassin or any other mail filtering enabled on the site.
    Need to get to the bottom of this as I need to be able to receive all mail that is intended for this domain obviously.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If your provider is blacklisting then it's probably system wide and you'll probably have no control over it from your account. You need to get in touch with them and find out what they're doing.

I had a similar problem last year, and managed to get it sorted in the end but it wasn't easy. BTW Eircom are using load balancing now for their email systems, so it can be difficult to put a trace on as the sending server can be any one out of a large pool of addresses, 29 the last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Cheers Alun, I have raised another ticket with the hosting provider. It's not restricted to Eircom addresses either it seems as someone from another domain also had the same problem. Its a total disaster at the minute as I don't know what is going missing.

The plot thickens, email from eircom.net addresses is getting through fine at the moment. Still not great though, need to have confidence that mail will get bounced if it's not delivered.

Some mails made it through after a 22hr delay..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

air wrote: »
    The plot thickens, email from eircom.net addresses is getting through fine at the moment. Still not great though, need to have confidence that mail will get bounced if it's not delivered.
    That's the thing though, I was getting the same kind of thing in my case ... some of the 30 or so Eircom mail servers were blacklisted and others weren't, and seeing as it's pot luck which one actually gets the job of sending each email, it's all a bit of a nightmare to troubleshoot

What also makes it complicated is that some hosters also employ what they call 'greylisting'. In this case, they'll initially reject the first attempt at sending, and then wait for a retry. A retried message with the same id is accepted, and this retry can be much, much later, even as much as 24 hours. The rationale is that a bulk emailer won't bother retrying, so one that does will be legit. It's a PITA too, and I changed hoster for one website for that very reason.

In both cases, no bounce message was sent .. I guess again that the rationale is that a malicious sender would be able to use that knowledge to, say, switch to a different email server to get around the blacklist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement