Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freefone/1800 numbers, do they have a value?

• 08-07-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of a discussion within my business over a 1800 number that we own (but don't really use anymore), it's been phased out and replaced by a landline system but we still own this Freefone number and a discussion is going on now about what to do with it, (as in keep it, sell it, or just abandon it). The number we have it a very recognisable format, (or so I think anyway), it's in the format 1800 XXX YYY, and we got it a few years back and just kept it, which I think gives it a value in that it is highly recognisable number and easy to remember and it also meant that our customers could call us for free.

I'm thinking of selling the number as we have kept the number yet more or less phased it out, but just wondering what people think might be a value for such a number or if it is really a marketable object, as in could I expect to find a seller for it???

We decided to phase it out as it was reckoned that our customers were mainly business customers who probably had business mobile phone deals, (with unlimited calls), so us offering a Freefone number when they could just call us without any additional cost to themselves, was just a bit of a waste of money on our part.

But I believe that this number would be very valuable for a phone sales business or something along the lines of that, I didn't think that we were doing the right thing by phasing out our use of this number but I've been proven wrong on this so I'm being challenged at work in a humourous way to see if this number has a value or if I'm just being stupid about this!

It's my call as to what to do with this number but I'm all ears as to what might the value be of it if I was to try to sell it on to some other business?!? Just off my head I think it would be worth in the 500-1,000 Euro region, am I mad?!?

BTW, this is not an advertisement, I'm just trying to get a discussion going about how useful these 1800 numbers are in 2011, when a lot of mobile operators are offering fixed price monthly deals for unlimited calls, etc???

Advertisement