Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Bike do you recomend

• 08-07-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, So I'm back up on my bike to cycle to work, bout 10k each way, uphill going home through park.

I have an aul Raleigh mountain bike nearly 20 years old, decent enough condition, but rusting a bit, but now I fancy getting back on a racer. The last one I had must have been over 25 years old at this stage and had the gear lever down on the frame, so I know nothing really when it comes to modern stuff.

I don't mind splashing out a few quid, €1,000 is what I'm thinking, but if I am getting something worth going the extra few banannas I don't mind. I know some of you will recoment a hybrid if all im going to do is comute etc, but I want a racer and I am a sucker for buying all the bells and whistles even if they aren't totally necessary!

I really like the idea of a Carbon frame, was looking at a Dolan, for 1500 sheets with SRAM apex system. What are Dolan bikes like? The Felt Z6 for €1500 looks pretty decent also, but I dont like the idea that it is part Schimano 105 and part Tiagra. Am I better getting a full groupset or what is the reall difference

I dont know if SRAM is any better than Schimano so anyone who can help here?

I was also looking at the Felts Z85 at €1200 which price wise is definately better suited to me but again the same as the Z6 with the mixed up groupset. Why do they do this? Can it be upgraded to a full 105 system? What about the wheels, can they be upgraded as I read a review that they were a bit of a let down.

If I am upgrading parts I understand I could do this alright after I buy the bike, but obviously this costs more, so can it be done when ordering, so kinda like buying a car they build the bioke to your spec?

thanks for any help and any other recomendations you have?

also what about buying online, i see i can get the felt lots cheaper on wiggle and I do want to get this on the bike to work scheme so is this an option by buying a bike online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stevieob wrote: »
    also what about buying online, i see i can get the felt lots cheaper on wiggle and I do want to get this on the bike to work scheme so is this an option by buying a bike online?

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/BikeToWork
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306050

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

For your type of cycling I'd get a flat bar racer such as a lapierre shaper from cyclesuperstore.ie. I bought a lapierre RCR700 from them a few years ago on the cycle to work scheme.
    They'll also set up corporate a account which means they'll give an extra 12% off the RRP when bought through the company so you can get a great deal from them.

Oh, I'm no affiliation with them at all but the service and the great deal I got were second to none.

The best thing is to find the bike you want, call around to a lot of bike shops for the best deal and see if your company will then buy from them.

Oh as for buying online, you can but it has to be from a company based in the Irish Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The term "flat bar racer" is an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 therightstuff

Wheelworx, BikeHub are my present favourites but Byrner in Eurocycles LongMile road is sound and Yannick at the Superstore will also look after you.

For €1500 you are unlikely to get a full carbon frame but you should be able to get a decent alu frame, carbon forks and a full 105 groupset. After that its down to personal preference. SRAM and Shimano make good stuff as do Campag. There is no rubbish out there anymore.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cloinsigh wrote: »
    Oh as for buying online, you can but it has to be from a company based in the Irish Republic
    No it hasn't - it can be bought anywhere, although the duty and VAT position make it a lot more straightforward (and probably cheaper) to buy from within the EU, although your employer may impose restrictions on where it is bought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

Wheelworx, BikeHub are my present favourites but Byrner in Eurocycles LongMile road is sound and Yannick at the Superstore will also look after you.

For €1500 you are unlikely to get a full carbon frame but you should be able to get a decent alu frame, carbon forks and a full 105 groupset. After that its down to personal preference. SRAM and Shimano make good stuff as do Campag. There is no rubbish out there anymore.

Or what about a corratec corones with full ultegra, alu frame and carbon fork for 1399 ?

http://www.eurocycles.ie/Road_Bikes/Road_Bikes_Under_€2000/Corratec_Corones_Ultegra/4049_p.aspx#

Advertisement