Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get toddler to stay in bed

Options
  • 08-07-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Needed to resurrect this thread ...... Any advice on getting an active mishievious toddler to stay in her bed when getting her down to sleep. She's been up and down like a yo yo the last week or two (after the first few days in the new bed which went great and lulled us into a false sense of security) Even though one of us stays in the room with her she just won't stay in the bed, she's up and down, wants another story or the potty (even though she's still in nappies), rewards like stickers haven't worked yet laughs at threats to take away the dodi or not have treats the next day, flings her duvet, pillow and favourite teddy on the floor etc ..
    # 2 is on the way in October and would love to get this cracked before then. Any advice on alternative methods of getting toddlers to sleep and how long to try each one for appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to thread of it's own and moved to Newborn & Toddler section :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Similar trouble with both of ours, 2 & 4 year old.
    Once the novelty of their proper bed wears off they take advantage of the freedom.
    Watched Supernanny deal with a mother who put the kid back in over 40 times in one night, it was after 11pm before the parent got time to themselves.
    As I'm unconventional I thought of a better solution, lock the bedroom door if they keep coming out.
    I give them a couple of chances before Alcatraz kicks in & now it works a treat.

Some parents would go mad at this suggestion cause they read in a book somewhere that it develops a fear of bedtime or claustrophobia or something.
    Daddy's got wine to drink & a film downloaded so likes his solution the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I had to barricade the door from the hall to stop himself from getting out, then when all is silent, open the door, place him in his cot (he usually would fall asleep on my bed or on the floor, dunno why the floor, but he would pull out all my clean laundry and form a nest with it and his favourite blanket.

Some may see that as cruel, but he never cries to be left out and checks once to see if there is a barricade, when he knows its there, he just does his own thing until he dozes!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gems1183

my 2 1/2 year old is the same. we cut out the mid day nap and so far it seems to be working,he's so tired he's out like a light by 8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Thanks for the replies. Don't think barracading them in their own room is cruel at all. My only thoughts are that she would probably just trash the place so we'd probably have to move lots of stuff out (with nowhere else to put it)
    @gems - might try that too. We had wondered whether a later bedtime than we were trying would help. As a matter of interest how's your little one in the late pm/early evening if they haven't had a nap?

• Advertisement

he can get very grouchy as he gets more and more tired. maybe a shorter nap might work just as well, sometimes when they get over tired they won't sleep either! he has a supper just before bed too and a little drink, nothing too heavy maybe toast but so far it seems to have worked. we sat with him the first week or so until he was asleep and now its story and sleep:)

gems1183 wrote: »
    sometimes when they get over tired they won't sleep either! :)

yeah it's a difficult balancing act between them being tired enough but not too tired

well i have 4, he is the third and we left it too late really before the 4th came along to get him into a routine of going into his bed but now he's quite proud of his bed. maybe a shorter nap so might work out better?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know you are looking for a quick fix but what we did with our 2 year old is:

we first got her into a new routine, new bed means daddy or mommy can now lie down next to her and read her one story, (we made the mistake of more but it got longer and longer each night)

her new bed has one of those side rails that goes up and down, once its up we allow her flick through her own books by herself,

at first she's get out over 10 times a night, but we would the first two times explain calmly that its late and she needs to stay in her bed, after her warnings we would say nothing and just put her straight back in, at first she giggled thinking it was a game but now when she does act up (she still does from time to time) the maximum we have to put her back in one night is three times (and thats on a bad night)

once or twice she tried a screaming/crying mix, but we know she's faking it when there are no tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Maybe I was lucky, but worked out without too much bother for me.

Go up, put them back in bed but don't speak or interact with your child. It might take 20 times the first night, and go on for a week, but should be much better after that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I have worked as an Au Pair for a few families and the best way I found was to read a story say goodnight and sit on the floor near the bed with your back to the child move closer to the door every few minutes untill your out. Don't talk to the child at all this is so important I found if you start talking to them its over and just put them back in bed everytime the get up but no talking at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Persistance outting them back. Wear them out before bedtime.

Thanks. I think we might be talking/interacting a bit too much when putting her back into bed. Need to be more of a hardass.

although there are times its driving us crazy there are times we find it hard to keep a straight face when she's running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

What we did with our four year old and are now doing with her 2 year old sister was to put a stair gate at the bedroom door. Left the door open, she can see out but can't get out. Works a treat. After a while you can close the door too. Give it a few months and you can take the gate off too. Good luck!!

Advertisement