Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJJ Newb thread - Mullingar Area

• 08-07-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Afternoon folks.

I've been lurking over this area of the boards for quite a while and have decided I should give BJJ a whirl. I've always been a fan of the sport ever since I saw Royce win the first few UFC's on VHS many moons ago. It also seems like there's a solid Irish community committed to the sport. And more importantly ya'll seem like a decent bunch of lads and lassies.

Anyways I'm a Mullingar resident and have been perusing the boards for a club close by. It appears Athlone Budokan is about the closest as I gather that Mullingar Grappling has fallen by the way side. I understand Paddy is the man to talk to for BJJ in Athone Budokan ??
    Any info on price or mat times (excluding the class on Wednesdays at 8pm) would be much appreciated.

However if someone knows a good club that's closer, by all means let me know !!

Anywho, I'd be 30yr old complete novice in BJJ other than watching more than a healthy amount of vids of BJJ online. :p I think it's a beautiful sport even just to watch. To start out I just wanna experience the sport, learn as much as I can, get fit again, have the craic and go from there.

Any advice for a beginner folks ??
    If you've any questions for me - ask away !!

And cheers in advance.

TLDR !? Then:

Hi.
    Mullingar BJJ ??
    Athlone BJJ ??
    Paddy ??
    Pricing ??
    Cheers !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eanxtim

Hi,

There is a great club based in Carbury Co. Kildare (about 30 minutes from Mullingar). They practice Mondays in Carbury, Wednesdays in Prosperous (say 50 minutes from Mullingar) and Thursdays in Edenderry. A very friendly bunch indeed. I attend myself but at the minute I am recovering from an injury (not sustained at BJJ :-)).. It's 5 Euro's a session so cheap as chips really.. Look them up at bjj.ie/clubs/carbury bjj..

I am from Mullingar myself so great to see another BJJ fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

eanxtim wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a great club based in Carbury Co. Kildare (about 30 minutes from Mullingar). They practice Mondays in Carbury, Wednesdays in Prosperous (say 50 minutes from Mullingar) and Thursdays in Edenderry. A very friendly bunch indeed. I attend myself but at the minute I am recovering from an injury (not sustained at BJJ :-)).. It's 5 Euro's a session so cheap as chips really.. Look them up at bjj.ie/clubs/carbury bjj..

I am from Mullingar myself so great to see another BJJ fan!

Cheers for the info man, I'm going to Athlone Budokan tomorrow night and give it a whirl. Sure if I don't like it I may give that place a whirl instead !!

It's nice to know I'm not alone in the BJJ front in Mullingar though !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eanxtim

Goodstuff, let us know how you get on - Bring lots of water and then some!!

LOL, will do, cheers man !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 athlone budokan

I am sure you will like it. Paddy is a fantastic coach!! :)

• Advertisement

Sound out man, I was being a little facetious above !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 athlone budokan

Madman08 wrote: »

Sound out man, I was being a little facetious above !!

No worries at all, we don't take offence at things, the SBG guys are all laid back. Bring some water :)

As promised:

I went last night out to the Gym for my first BJJ class ever. I simply enjoyed every single second of it !! I needed everydrop of water I brought too. Thanks for the heads up man !!

^ This. Paddy was very technical, had extremely clear and concise teaching methods and comes across as a very down to earth and sound bloke.

Me calf muscles and me neck are feeling the pain a little this morning but other than that I'm raring to go again. Brilliant experience, can't recommend it enough to everyone who hasn't tried BJJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Mullingarites, check your PMs, we may be able to hook ye up closer to home :D

Edit: Forgot to mention in PMs, look for Mullingar Grappling on FaceBook too.

Advertisement