Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target and hunting rifle

• 08-07-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi, what disciplines can you shoot with a "normal" rifle like .22LR Cz452 Varmint or new CZ455?

Ideally would like something that can do both, but how possible and practical is it, what are the rules limitations, and what applies in one club would apply in another? You know, in case I want to embarass myself by entering a few competitions :D

I saw another thread about adding a sled underneath the stock to make up the flat surface for Benchrest, are these practical enough?

Thanks for any advice.....
    Martin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Without being too vague pretty much any comp you like. The only difference being the level of success.

You could take part in Benchrest shooting, with the plate attachment you mentioned, and compete in the Varmint/sporter class. There are restrictions such as scope power, but nothing to say you cannot compete.

There would be other disciplines such as Gallery rifle, sporting rifle, etc however i've very little actual experience with these so i'm not up to speed on the rules and regs, but again i would imagine there is no problem taking part, merely your level of success when you go up against lads with discipline dedicated rifles.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't take part. Everyone starts off small and simple, then adds accessories, improvements as their interest and ability grow.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

There are many shooting sporting rifles in benchrest. The maximum scope magnification is 6.5 and the stock has to be totally unmodified. You can get a narrow front bag to suit the sporting stock.
    If you opt to modify the fore end of the stock to fit the wider bags, this will put you into the Light Varmint Class and you will be competing against dedicated target rifles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Thanks for the info guys. About the scope, would it merely need to be set on 6.5 or the actual magnification it capable of achieving not be greater than 6.5 ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From the comps i attended the mag was set at the highest level allowable for that discipline, class restriction and then the mag adjustment dial would have tape placed on it to prevent it from being adjusted.

There is no need to buy a low power scope. You can have a variable scope and have it set to the proper mag for the comp.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NASRPC: Nigel

In Rimfire Benchrest Rifle, International Sporter - The scope may be capable of more than 6.5 and will be set by the RO if so - at larger competitions they may tape your scope to prevent it "moving".

As was pointed out earlier there is also Sporting Rifle - there are many disciplines included in this but the most common is 50m Prone.

NASRPC regularly run National Competitions in both, there are postal leagues also and many of our clubs also hold club competitions.

NASRPC also administer Gallery Rifle in Ireland and whereas there are smallbore variants of this - it can be quite difficult to shoot if your firearm is not suitable - in essence you require an ambidextrous semi automatic 22 rifle, capable of holding at least 6 rounds and being capable of magazine changes - with you being required to shoot from both shoulders and having some details of 12 shots in 20 seconds. This could prove quite difficult with a bolt action

A Bolt action variant is currently being trialled at club level and, if successful, we would look to introduce it at National level.

Fell free to drop a line to benchrestrifle@nasrpc.ie, sportingrifle@nasrpc.ie or galleryrifle@nasrpc.ie , which will put you contact wit the relevant National Discipline Co-ordinators - who should be able to give you more specific information.

Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

That's really great info thanks for that guys :-)
    The gallery rifle sounds difficult in the extreme :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

That's really great info thanks for that guys :-)
    The gallery rifle sounds difficult in the extreme :eek:

As you say "The gallery rifle sounds difficult in the extreme" but when you get to try it out it's not "That difficult" with a little practice. And best of all its great fun to shoot.

The targets used are big enough to hit but small enough to make high scores hard when your being timed. And the 12 shots, 6 shots x 2 mags, with a magazine change in the 12 seconds is done at a distance of 10m.
    Then at 15m you have a different detail and again at 25m another detail. Each detail requiring a different type of shooting and again its against the clock.

It was for this reason that I sold my CZ 22lr bolt action rifle and bought a Ruger 10/22 semi to compete in the gallery shooting comptitions. It beats just putting holes in paper for no other reason than to hear a bang. And the benchrest type shooting just didn't do it for me.

Advertisement