Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Written Reference from Principal

• 08-07-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I've decided to go travelling at the end of the year as my contract (rpt) wasn't renewed for September. I want to go to Australia and teach there for a bit. My principal has a reputation for not giving written references. I have put in a lot of work over the past few years and would like a written reference to bring with me as I'm seeking work in Oz through an agency and they advised me to get one. My question is am I entitled to a written reference and has anyone else found their principal to be sticky when it comes to getting a reference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

My principal definately gives written references, I could be wrong but Id imagine that you are entitled to one, so just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You are not entitled to a written reference(legally). It just courtesy of an employer to give you one. Ask anyway, he/she might be delighted to give you one(you never know he/she might not have got on with others who asked). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

You are not legally entitled to a reference, but you should expect one all the same, especially as you have been employed there for years.

The reference would be equally good from the chairperson of your board of management or even the deputy principal.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Have you considered asking the deputy principal or someone from the board of management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

I just said it to principal on last day that I might need one as I was considering travelling ... she said of course of course ... I just know from previous teachers who have left, particularly those who went travelling that she has been very awkward about giving written refs, one guy took career break and it took him 6 mths to get a ref from her ... I would ask the VP but she can't do anything without running it by the principal so I think i'm wasting my time ... I would consider myself to have got on well enough with the principal I just have a feeling it is not going to be as simple as asking for the reference and getting it without hounding her :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Look, some principals are awkward about references - this is because they hate committing to writing , in case the hiring school is unhappy with the teacher that they hired!

In your case, if you explain to your principal that you are going to Australia then she should be most helpful. If not then I would get one from the board of management - its not as if you don't deserve it after your years there.

Advertisement